Windows 8 Flack

Actually his issues with the search feature never existed. In his example of searching "printer", it searches everything you simply just have to click settings after searching, you don't have to click settings before hand as he suggested. The OS isn't broken because you don't know how to use it, you're just ignorant (nice way to say stupid).

huh? I know what we said.

-> Win+W to jump directly to search for Settings

-> And, like I said, in Win8.1 it's solved (searches everywhere, including Modern UI apps, and Web), also the search was improved over WIn7. You could see that they were working on this before, but didn't have time to finish in time for Win8.

huh? I know what we said.

-> Win+W to jump directly to search for Settings

-> And, like I said, in Win8.1 it's solved (searches everywhere, including Modern UI apps, and Web), also the search was improved over WIn7. You could see that they were working on this before, but didn't have time to finish in time for Win8.

My point is that when you do a search in Win 8 it searches everything in all three categories, you just have to select the correct category to see the results. If you do a search by default (charms menu) it tells you next to each category how many results it found in each. Is it really that difficult to select one of three categories or use the correct win key shortcut to go directly to the category you want? 

fhog.jpg

1hmk.jpg

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Actually his issues with the search feature never existed. In his example of searching "printer", it searches everything you simply just have to click settings after searching, you don't have to click settings before hand as he suggested. The OS isn't broken because you don't know how to use it, you're just ignorant (nice way to say stupid).

While you are right and I completely agree with you.... He was stating that he didn't like having to switch tabs to find what he was looking for..

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

While you are right and I completely agree with you.... He was stating that he didn't like having to switch tabs to find what he was looking for..

- Which is being fixed in 8.1 so we're all good  ^_^

- Which is being fixed in 8.1 so we're all good  ^_^

Yeah, which was what I said originally :P

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

I'm using Windows 8 both on my main PC and my Laptop.

On my main PC I use "StartIsBack" as my primary  Start Menu, yet I enjoy being able to put stuff like my bin to the start screen so I can have a completely empty desktop.

My Laptop [sony Vaio Pro 13] is touch enabled and while I still think the Metro Apps are the most useless thing ever, the Start Screen itself is rather handy. I got StartIsBack installed on the laptop aswell, but I rarely use it [mostly for shutdown].

My experience with Windows 8 has been very positive so far. A lot snappier than Windows 7 Ultimate!

I have encountered one single problem, which is a bad Windows Update which fucks up sfc /scannow and disk cleaner. But a simple command will resolve that issue and everyone is happy.

I have not experienced any compatibility issues with games be it ancient or new games.

Really don't see a reason to not at least use Win 8 Pro with something like StartISBack over Windows 7. Much better OS IMHO. 

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I mostly agree with the author of the topic, why skip the new software and get the older/slower one while you can just mod it and be fine with it ? Also the ribbon on explorer is the best thing that every happened to file managers to this very moment.

And also, just to clarify something, i really suggest that you force yourself to use ModernUI for almost a week.

People would just judge based on the very first experience, which is wrong, tell me if i'm crazy, but i'm much much more productive with the way they've rearranged everything on the start menu, and i sometimes use the apps when i'm not doing serious multitasking and heavy work, it's awesome and refreshing.

And for those crying out loud about compatibility, let me put this straight :

Microsoft won't skimp on new features just to be compatible with your crappy old hardware.

Let that sink in for a second.

If you're planning to run Windows 8, update the hell out of everything to get the most diserable performance benefits, also, don't pass on automatic updates, i can't emphesis on this enough, it is huge and very important.

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

My experience with windows 8 has been amazing. I moved straight from XP to 8 at home, but I have had extensive experience with 7 at work and other places.

However I have tried to convince other who love windows 8 and they always tell me the main reason is that it is slower. One case specifically was a friend of mine trying to use 8 on an old AMD dual core @1.3GHz laptop. Some apps (Netflix for example) wouldn't even start. The only thing I can say to them is get a better computer, which of course they aren't interested in hearing.

Do any of you have a solution or know the cause for the significant slow down other than buying a new computer?

PC Noise Hater Level = Linus

Modern UI apps are full GPU accelerated. So it sounds to me that their laptop don't have Windows 8 drivers, or forgot to install them. They are probably using Windows generic drivers, which (same as the motherboard chipset), will cause reduce performance on the overall experience (and crashes on some apps).

I don't see having mice that run at high DPI's and then wasting screen real-estate with buttons that are WAY to big for their job. If this was 1990 when we had 6 PPI, the UI would have been marginally correct sized. Even on a decently high accuracy touch screen, I found windows 7 to work FINE! 

I've had 2 windows 8 devices, and I've had to use classicstart to function normally. I survived on the first one for 1 month before giving up! Microsoft doesn't care about any users opinions. I can see why they wanted to make windows 8 the way they did, but didn't they go and ask a normal human before selling it?

But opinions are opinions... so

Come fold while not gaming! http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

Gaming Rig: i7-9700k 5GHz all core, GTX 1070, 16GB TridentZ, Buncha ssds...

Stream Machine: R7 1700, GTX 660 (lol), 16GB Corsair Somethingoranother, 120 GB SSD i've had since 2012. 

Mobile Workstation: MSI-ALPHA :R7 3750H, RX 5500M, 16GB of some ram, 500GB SSD.

You got it on reverse. Because you have high DPI, your small movement of the mouse travel the mouse smoothly with fine control, really far on the screen. Using an old mouse on a large screen, requires long distance. Increasing the mouse speed, will make the mouse jump and lose precision.

Also, you should not have to move across such large distance, as all your most used folders, and programs are suppose to be pinned on the left and bottom area of the screen, and pinned on your task bar.

Microsoft cares about users opinion, but also cares about:

-> Innovation.

-> Being on top of the technology advancement and changes.

-> Survival.

-> Telemetry data on how people use their product to improve it

I don't see having mice that run at high DPI's and then wasting screen real-estate with buttons that are WAY to big for their job. If this was 1990 when we had 6 PPI, the UI would have been marginally correct sized. Even on a decently high accuracy touch screen, I found windows 7 to work FINE! 

I've had 2 windows 8 devices, and I've had to use classicstart to function normally. I survived on the first one for 1 month before giving up! Microsoft doesn't care about any users opinions. I can see why they wanted to make windows 8 the way they did, but didn't they go and ask a normal human before selling it?

But opinions are opinions... so

On top of what GoodBytes said I would like to add that in 8.1 you can make the tiles even smaller which should address what you are saying here. :)

I stopped reading the OP's post after the first line.  

Anyway,

I will not use Windows 8 on my main machine because Windows 7 is working perfectly fine for me at present.  And it will continue to work for years to come.  By the time I would need to leave Windows 7, a new version of Windows will be out.  Maybe I will like that one better (in terms of design), or maybe it will be time for me to completely switch to a Linux distro while using Windows in a VM for the times that I might need Windows.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads