Facebook's free internet service has been shut down in Egypt

SansVarnic

By:Nick Statt on The Verge

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/facebooks-free-internet-service-has-been-shut-down-in-egypt/ar-BBo3Yc5

Lol this is funny. (I personally don't like nor care for Mark Zuckerberg but don't take this news reporting in a biased tone, I didn't write the article)

Egypt ​has now become​ the second country to shut down Facebook's controversial free internet service after India did the same last week, according to a report from the Associated Press today

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has in the past tried to clarify that Free Basics does not violate what he believes to be net neutrality.

Apparently Mr Zuckerburg has yet to understand why these countries do not want his free services in place. I cannot personally speak to those reason myself without raising certain hate but it would appear to be plainly obvious they just don't want his services and are closing FaceBook down in these areas. I believe if Mr Zuckerberg wants to get these in place it would be better to work with the Government before building the infrastructure and wasting time, money and peoples hopes.

*edit 

The second quote I used just shows Zuckerberg's ignorance on this subject.

*2nd Edit

The Fortune's article on this for secondary reference;

http://fortune.com/2015/12/30/facebook-free-basics-egypt/

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Free internet? I'll take it!

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

No one used it fyi at least no one I know

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

NOOO

Ariana Grande's Leaked Nudes!!!111!11!

Spoiler

Ayyyyyy

Gaming Rig:     CPU:  i5-4690k  Cooler:  H80i  Mobo:  MSI z97 PC MATE  RAM:  16gb Fury White  Storage:  1TB WD + 120gb Fury SSD  GPU:  GTX 970  Case:  NZXT S340  PSU:  NEX 650W  Keyboard:  K65 RGB  Mouse:  Mionix Naos 7000  Headphones:  ATH-M50x  Monitor:  2x VN248h-P + 1x MG248q  Setup Photo:  (To come)

"what he believes to be net neutrality"

lol ur definition of it doesn't matter mark xD

shut it all down

Remember Mark also believes stopping access of Facebook to ISIS would be bad so he wont do it.

Mark Zuckerberg lives in a fairy world. 

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Remember Mark also believes stopping access of Facebook to ISIS would be bad so he wont do it.

Mark Zuckerberg lives in a fairy world.

How would that even be achieved?

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

to be fair egypt doesn't have a good track record with the internet so expecting something like this to work was a real stretch, also it doesn't make sense launching it in countries which don't have a decent infrastructure in place, as it's going to be like having entire towns on one 56k dial up connection.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

No good way that doesn't involves fairly large numbers of innocent bystanders being affected. His objection is likely technical, not ideological but of course since this is a "Shit of Zuckerberg" fest people would bring that up. I rather focus on net neutrality here, I think we all should.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Free internet? I'll take it!

it's free facebook and other select services like BBC news, accu weather etc.. if it had free internet to every website, india and egypt would not have shut it down, but as it is it violates net neutrality

No good way that doesn't involves fairly large numbers of innocent bystanders being affected. His objection is likely technical, not ideological but of course since this is a "Shit of Zuckerberg" fest people would bring that up. I rather focus on net neutrality here, I think we all should.

Pretty much a technical thing, but Mark Zuckerberg's reason is ideological. I will have to find that article and post a link but I agree with @Misanthrope it is not relevant to this discussion.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

It's all Nvidia's fault.

10435641_806009442855235_570127440542943

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-30/zuckerberg-s-india-backlash-imperils-vision-for-free-global-web

Don’t Get Influenced By Facebook’s Full Page Ads On Free Basics

FB-1-1-750x500.jpg

To Troll Facebook, A Redditor Made Some 'Honest' Free Basics Campaign Ads : http://www.huffingtonpost.in/2015/12/30/a-redditor-made-some-hila_n_8893718.html

msg-21562-0-07534500-1451487506.jpgmsg-21562-0-75848800-1451487511.jpgmsg-21562-0-15289500-1451487518.jpg msg-21562-0-29271100-1451487524.jpg

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

By:Nick Statt on The Verge

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/facebooks-free-internet-service-has-been-shut-down-in-egypt/ar-BBo3Yc5

Lol this is funny. (I personally don't like nor care for Mark Zuckerberg but don't take this news reporting in a biased tone, I didn't write the article)

Apparently Mr Zuckerburg has yet to understand why these countries do not want his free services in place. I cannot personally speak to those reason myself without raising certain hate but it would appear to be plainly obvious they just don't want his services and are closing FaceBook down in these areas. I believe if Mr Zuckerberg wants to get these in place it would be better to work with the Government before building the infrastructure and wasting time, money and peoples hopes.

*edit 

The second quote I used just shows Zuckerberg's ignorance on this subject.

*2nd Edit

The Fortune's article on this for secondary reference;

http://fortune.com/2015/12/30/facebook-free-basics-egypt/

It's also been shut down in India and other countries. You may want to edit the title and post to reflect that. And talk about how Judges think this is about marketing rather than actually helping people.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

It's also been shut down in India and other countries. You may want to edit the title and post to reflect that. And talk about how Judges think this is about marketing rather than actually helping people.

The article does mention that India shut it down as well. - If you read the post you would have seen that I included that in the first quote as it states that Egytp is second to do this AFTER India did it the week before. If you are going to comment or add to the discussion read the content in the opening post first.

I wont change the title as it is the headline of the article and it follows posting guidelines.

I will only comment on the article and its contents, I wont comment on what is not there.

If you feel the need to post another article on the subject and make this point feel free to.

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I've said it before, and I will say it again.

Mark Zuckerberg is pure fucking evil. Just look at his eyes in almost any photo of him. You can see it plain as day.

They are eeriliy similar to Hillary Clinton's eyes, and most other politicians eyes.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I've said it before, and I will say it again.

Mark Zuckerberg is pure fucking evil. Just look at his eyes in almost any photo of him. You can see it plain as day.

They are eeriliy similar to Hillary Clinton's eyes, and most other politicians eyes.

zuckeyes.jpg

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace