GTA V Audio Settings - Should I select Surround Speakers or Stereo?

VG Docs

I have a 2.1 speaker setup - this one to be specific. One of the cool things is (I've tested this with a few things) even when stereo is selected, the subwoofer is still being used.

Anyway, GTA V has a few audio output options - Stereo speakers, Surround speakers (with the only customizable option being front speaker setup: Wide, Narrow, Medium), TV, and headphones (with a customizable option for what I think is a specific headset). 

I'm not an audio guy, so I'm not even sure if 2.1 is technically surround sound or not - which should I choose for the best experience? It'll be useful to know in the future as well considering many games have options similar to this.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

it doesn't matter

you audio driver panel should take care of if

leave it on default which would be stereo especially since you're using 2.1

people have two ears, why would anyone need more than two speakers anyway /s

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

it doesn't matter

you audio driver panel should take care of if

leave it on default which would be stereo especially since you're using 2.1

people have two ears, why would anyone need more than two speakers anyway /s

There are more than two points of direction. :P

Anyway, thanks for the slightly more descriptive answer. :)

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Keep it at 2.1. Subwoofers don't really count in terms of stereo or surround audio, as the bass output is mono anyway. The number that you should worry about it the number of satellites, and in your case (2), it's not more than stereo. The two other main configurations (5.1/7.1) do count as surround audio, as the speaker positions are infront and behind rather than just infront. 

Keep it at 2.1. Subwoofers don't really count in terms of stereo or surround audio, as the bass output is mono anyway. The number that you should worry about it the number of satellites, and in your case (2), it's not more than stereo. The two other main configurations (5.1/7.1) do count as surround audio, as the speaker positions are infront and behind rather than just infront. 

2.1 isn't an option, or I would've chosen that :P

Looks like I'll be choosing stereo with everything.

2.1 isn't an option, or I would've chosen that :P

Looks like I'll be choosing stereo with everything.

Yep, unless you've got a 5.1 setup or above, stereo it is.