How Good Are These Speakers

Mandrew

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-reference-4-bookshelf-speakers-pair-black/6833016.p?id=1219239884619&skuId=6833016&_requestid=134538

I am currently looking for a nice pair of speakers in the $100-$150 range. These are at the higher end of my price range, so is the extra cost worth it, or is there a better alternative?

Meh they're okay. Klipsch has fallen off in the last two decades or so. You have to spend big money to get a lot, and at those prices ($2,000 per speaker or so) they are *many* better alternatives.

I purchased the "previous year model" RB-51 Reference ii and I was thoroughly disappointed by them. They distort very quickly, and the mids are generally nonexistent. So personally, I do not recommend them.

This is 200 watts for $150 rly.

I'm pretty lost when it comes to speakers, so is this good or bad?

Meh they're okay. Klipsch has fallen off in the last two decades or so. You have to spend big money to get a lot, and at those prices ($2,000 per speaker or so) they are *many* better alternatives.

I purchased the "previous year model" RB-51 Reference ii and I was thoroughly disappointed by them. They distort very quickly, and the mids are generally nonexistent. So personally, I do not recommend them.

ok good to know

It basically means nothing.

Its irrelevant.

They are fine speakers, not bad, not amazing. Listen to @JohnT

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

do you need an amp with them?

do you need an amp with them?

Yes definitely. These models, the ones you linked and ones I mentioned, are passive speakers. Which means they need an amplifier to produce noise.

Active speakers have built in amplifiers. They generally need to be plugged into a wall outlet as well as a source to produce noise. An example of active speakers are the JBL LSR305.

Yes definitely. These models, the ones you linked and ones I mentioned, are passive speakers. Which means they need an amplifier to produce noise.

Active speakers have built in amplifiers. They generally need to be plugged into a wall outlet as well as a source to produce noise. An example of active speakers are the JBL LSR305.

what amps would you recommend?

Is this for desktop use?

Main Rig:  CPU i5-4670k   MOBO Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   GPU GTX 980ti    RAM 8GB  STORAGE 128GB ADATA(OS)/250GB Samsung 850 EVO(APPS)/3TB WD Red

AUDIO: AMP/DAC TEAC AI-301DA SPEAKERS: Cambridge Audio SX50 Phones: Philips Fidelio X1

Is this for desktop use?

a bit, but these will mostly be used in my room, hooked up to my phone to play music

Pretty much any receiver from Yamaha or Pioneer. It will be the most convenient product to let you connect your PC to it and also the speakers. Sometimes you can buy current model receivers for half price when the newer model is released. A good website to keep an eye on is Amazon.

This is a decent receiver if you only plan to use 2 speakers, maybe even a bit overkill: http://amzn.com/B00HZE2WW8

Well, not really :)

I hooked up a passive speaker to my phone headphone port, and it made really quiet sound.

But yes, in order to make sound you can hear without bringing your ear close, you will need an amp

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

a bit, but these will mostly be used in my room, hooked up to my phone to play music

Perfect then. You will definitely want a receiver so you can connect multiple devices to it. That way all you have to do is switch the input and you're ready to go from your phone and PC.

Well, not really :)

I hooked up a passive speaker to my phone headphone port, and it made really quiet sound.

But yes, in order to make sound you can hear without bringing your ear close, you will need an amp

Haha your phone has a built in amp!

Haha your phone has a built in amp!

Sure, but its probably under 1watt compared to the 100w of speaker amps

Might be best for OP to just grab himself a set of powered speakers/monitors perhaps the Mackie CR4s or M-Audio AV40s?

Main Rig:  CPU i5-4670k   MOBO Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   GPU GTX 980ti    RAM 8GB  STORAGE 128GB ADATA(OS)/250GB Samsung 850 EVO(APPS)/3TB WD Red

AUDIO: AMP/DAC TEAC AI-301DA SPEAKERS: Cambridge Audio SX50 Phones: Philips Fidelio X1

Here's my recommendation for that price class : http://www.parts-express.com/overnight-sensations-mt-speaker-kit-pair--300-706

I bought that kit a while ago from their eBay store and I'm very pleased with the sound and design, they're my go to shelf speakers when I'm too lazy to roll in the big boys into my room.

However they requite basic soldering skills and some basic wood working tools since nothing is assembled. (You have to fully seal the box when building these, I tried to go for a removable back but that made them sound quite bad.)

You didn't mention at what range you'll be listening from and how you'll use the speakers,most small monitor speakers can't fill a large area with great sound but these are great in a small-medium room, the bass, mids and highs are amazing, in a big open room the bass will be lacking.

This is above your budget but if you're looking for speakers that are able to play well in large areas I'd recommend you building the recommended Fostex FE206En enclosure and using the FE206En driver, the sound that horn enclosure produces is something that has to be experienced.

It's Oculus time! B)

Here's my recommendation for that price class : http://www.parts-express.com/overnight-sensations-mt-speaker-kit-pair--300-706

I bought that kit a while ago from their eBay store and I'm very pleased with the sound and design, they're my go to shelf speakers when I'm too lazy to roll in the big boys into my room.

However they requite basic soldering skills and some basic wood working tools since nothing is assembled. (You have to fully seal the box when building these, I tried to go for a removable back but that made them sound quite bad.)

You didn't mention at what range you'll be listening from and how you'll use the speakers,most small monitor speakers can't fill a large area with great sound but these are great in a small-medium room, the bass, mids and highs are amazing, in a big open room the bass will be lacking.

This is above your budget but if you're looking for speakers that are able to play well in large areas I'd recommend you building the recommended Fostex FE206En enclosure and using the FE206En driver, the sound that horn enclosure produces is something that has to be experienced.

so.... OP should go from not knowing the difference between passive and active speakers to building his own all in one shot? Seems reasonable.

so.... OP should go from not knowing the difference between passive and active speakers to building his own all in one shot? Seems reasonable.

It's not hard. I'm sure OP can build the Overnight Sensations with perfect results by following the guides that are available.

The FE206En might be a big project but it's not that hard, it just takes a lot of time.

The stuff you build in kits or at home usually outperforms the store bought speakers in many ways. The cheaper store bought stuff is made by quite crappy materials and usually lacks a proper crossover, I don't see why you would settle for that when there's plenty of fine stuff out there at the same price!

It's Oculus time! B)

i might, just i would have to go and buy a soldering kit and wood working tools, and i don't have the time/ money for that

i might, just i would have to go and buy a soldering kit and wood working tools, and i don't have the time/ money for that

Well if you don't own a soldering iron and clamps it's a quite big deal. People these days, no tools and no will to make anything good...

It's Oculus time! B)

@nasses321

Everything is easy once you've done or learned it. With no background experience it's pretty fucking difficult to build a complete audio set.

If OP just wants an audio solution there's no problem in buying it. If he wants to put in the time to learn how to DIY audio: go ahead OP.

@nasses321

Everything is easy once you've done or learned it. With no background experience it's pretty fucking difficult to build a complete audio set.

If OP just wants an audio solution there's no problem in buying it. If he wants to put in the time to learn how to DIY audio: go ahead OP.

The thing is that it's not hard putting together a premade kit IF you got the tools it's another story if you lack tools and has to buy them all too.

It's Oculus time! B)