"Finally, An Affordable 3-D Printer Big Enough To Print More Than Trinkets"

Nshadd2455

There have been a large number of 3D printers at an affordable price point released in the past couple of years, here's one that is actually large enough to interest more more people, and is priced at around $1300 ($1100 for Kickstarter supporters).

Article: http://www.fastcolabs.com/3016615/finally-an-affordable-3-d-printer-big-enough-to-print-more-than-trinkets?partner=rss

$1300, not bad. Might look into it, will come in handy for making replicas (want to make the hidden blades from Assassin's Creed sometime xD).

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

$1300, not bad. Might look into it, will come in handy for making replicas (want to make the hidden blades from Assassin's Creed sometime xD).

That's a great idea, rip the model from the game!

Same here! I have been trying to figure out the best way to create a hidden blade similar to the ones seen in AC3. Also I have an idea for making an awesome Masyaf Key but I would need some kind of gas that would glow when a current is run through it. My general idea is to use a device similar to a tesla coil to make the gas excited; of course the casing would likely be 3D printed. But I do need a 3D printer to motivate me to actually start making a hidden blade. http://www.shapeways.com/ isn't motivating enough.

All lies, you will all be ripping boobies and beavers.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

How much does um... "ink" cost? Always kinda wondered that xD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I've heard it's 'very expensive' from my engineering prof. I've never gotten exact figures.

Depends on what it uses. I know some use a powder/resin mixture, which is generally inexpensive unless you need large quantities. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I'll never have to buy another dildo again. :P

The gMax began life when its creator, Brooklyn-based Gordon LaPlante, tried to apply his work in architecture to 3-D printing. He originally bought and assembled a RepRap Prusa printer in 2010, but found that it just didn’t have a big enough build area to print the plans he was dreaming up. So, he channeled the replicating RepRap spirit and used his Prusa to print out parts for an even bigger monster. He worked on the gMax until he got the first prototype up and running last winter.

In summary, this is a 3D printed 3D printer.

... kind of.

I'll never have to buy another dildo again. :P

Your a freaking genius! xD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I've heard it's 'very expensive' from my engineering prof. I've never gotten exact figures.

it's around $40 a kilogram so 10 grams is $0.40. it's not too bad but it can be cheaper

it's around $40 a kilogram so 10 grams is $0.40. it's not too bad but it can be cheaper

It uses 

Going from the picture on the site, it uses spooled PLA, since there seems to be a lack of a heated build platform, which is needed to prevent warping when using ABS, and it is obviously spooled, you can see the filament coming in to the extruder head, I've seen it as low as $17US/KG but it usually runs about double that. the price is about the same with ABS, but for "pro grade printers" from Stratasys and such, it runs upwards of $200US (I've seen the invoices from my school's uPrint SE Plus) for no reason other than for them to make money, they say it is because they have to keep it from getting moisture in it and blah blah blah, it's all a bunch of crap, and on top of all that, you can't even use 3rd party material if you wanted to, each spool comes with a chip that tells the printer how much is left, and it is tracked by the printer and updated to the chip whenever you print something. also, it was something like $25,000 that the school had to pay for it, and the print resolution is less than a quarter of any of these "cheap" printers that have come out in the past couple years. 

I apologize for the rant, but I am so happy to see all of these come to market, I wish we could get schools and whatnot to recognize that just because something says professional or whatever, doesn't mean it is any better than something the students can put together themselves and learn a lot more from, disregarding all of the other benefits

Main Machines~ Prometheus - i7 3930k @ 4.5GHz, X79-UD3, HyperX Blu 1600Mhz 24Gb (2x8Gb, 2x4Gb), XFX Double-D 7970, H100i, Military green C70, TX850M, All Corsair SP/AF-120 fans, Samsung 840 Pro 128Gb, 750Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM x2, NZXT Hue accent lights (wouldn't reccommend, they don't stick well). Laptop~ Asus X202E touch notebook- 500Gb 5400RPM 7mm HDD, 4Gb RAM-not upgradeable, 1.8GHz i3, HD4000