Why is YouTube taking so long to process a video?

AlTech

For reference, the video is 2 hours of 1080p60 gameplay. Specifically Tales from the Borderlands.

Why has it taken almost 3 hours and is gonna take 2 hours more to process apparently? I though Google had loads of 10+ core Xeon's in YouTube's render farm.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Because 2 hours of 1080p60 is a bitch to process?

yeah but if they had 40-60 10 core Xeon's it would be done in like 20 minutes.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Google should release a purpose-built youtube encoder app for Windows (and mac and linux and so on) that is extremely simple and serves one purpose.  You drop in your video and it (if necessary) does the conversion that the youtube servers are doing now.  Then you just upload that file.  Takes an enormous load off of them and would let people see their progress and have some control over how long it takes, and would have no one else (and no one elses hardware) to blame if it was converting slowly

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

For reference, the video is 2 hours of 1080p60 gameplay. Specifically Tales from the Borderlands.

Why has it taken almost 3 hours and is gonna take 2 hours more to process apparently? I though Google had loads of 10+ core Xeon's in YouTube's render farm.

It's a two hour long video..... I found you. You should change your url to something custom. 

Edit: You should get a microphone.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp1wfh600jrRmfOZB9kMjHA

It's a two hour long video..... I found you. You should change your url to something custom. 

Edit: You should get a microphone.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp1wfh600jrRmfOZB9kMjHA

Well A) I need 500 subs for custom URL. B) I have a mic on my G930 but it won't charge. I'm gonna fix it soon.

Don't forget the tens of hundreds of videos that go up onto YT daily.

They've stated that it has to do with the format. YouTube claims if it's "streamable," then it'll be processed faster.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

yeah but if they had 40-60 10 core Xeon's it would be done in like 20 minutes.

I don't think that you appreciate how much content is constantly being uploaded to YouTube that demands processing;  About 100hrs of content are uploaded every sixty seconds.

Well A) I need 500 subs for custom URL. B) I have a mic on my G930 but it won't charge. I'm gonna fix it soon.

I didn't need 500 subs. I am pretty sure you can, on all 5 of my channels I didn't.

I didn't need 500 subs. I am pretty sure you can, on all 5 of my channels I didn't.

Ah I need 100 subs. My bad. I knew there was a pre-requisite but didn't remember how much was needed.

I don't think that you appreciate how much content is constantly being uploaded to YouTube that demands processing;  About 100hrs of content are uploaded every sixty seconds.

Interesting... since they are able to keep up with this level of input, that mean that if this is true, they're not just able to process it live, they're able to process it at 6000x normal playback speed.  Let's all get thinking about what that implies  :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Interesting... since they are able to keep up with this level of input, that mean that if this is true, they're not just able to process it live, they're able to process it at 6000x normal playback speed.  Let's all get thinking about what that implies  :)

It means that Google has a demonic level of processing power behind it's transcoding engine but that doesn't mean that it's capable of instantiuosly results. :P After all, it doesn't just encode a file ONCE, it encodes it for each format it needs, from 1080p to 240p, and weird little sub-versions for certain devices.

That's a pretty good upload time considering what you're processing.  Used to take about 30 minutes just to upload like a 3 minute video back when I first started uploading to Youtube around 2005.

Well, lets look at it this way.

Over 100 hours of content is uploaded to Youtube every couple of minutes.

Process all that, will each user gets half a core for rendering, givent the file is smaller.

ITS GONNA TAKE SOME DAMN TIME.

Can your computer trans code to VP8, MP4, MSE, H.264 all at once without it taking some time?