Water Cooling in a Mid-Tower Case

Eventually, I'd like to design my own water cooling loop and build a water cooled system. I'm wondering if it would be possible to water cool an overclocked CPU and GPU in a mid-tower case?

If I would want to water cool an i7 4770k and a GTX 780, I would probably need two dual 120 radiators or a triple radiator and a dual radiator at most.

The Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 has plenty of options for water cooling and in my opinion, is quite elegant. I've also been looking at the Corsair Carbide Air 540, because it would allow me to easily manage my cables and hide my pump. 

So is it do-able? I'm quite picky, I like when things look near perfect. Let me know what you think...

Both those could do any water cooling setup fine.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Both those could do any water cooling setup fine.

What about the define r4? just wondering for my self :P

What about the define r4? just wondering for my self :P

Same as the midi r2.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Fyi, the Air 540 is a full atx tower.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'm not too sure about that.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to water cool an overclocked CPU and GPU in a mid-tower case?

If I would want to water cool an i7 4770k and a GTX 780, I would probably need two dual 120 radiators or a triple radiator and a dual radiator at most.

The Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 has plenty of options for water cooling and in my opinion, is quite elegant. I've also been looking at the Corsair Carbide Air 540, because it would allow me to easily manage my cables and hide my pump. 

welcome to the LinusTechTips forums.

1a. yes, the only obstacles is usually radiator support in cases.

2a. pretty much correct again. depending on levels of overclock (and skills) temps

usually hold about 50°-70° for the CPU and 35°-50° for the GPU depending on what

ambient temperatures are and overclocking skills.

3a. the arc can hold thick radiators as the 540 really can hold only the thinner radiators

in a 360 config. the 540 can get full quickly as the arc pretty much has a lot more room

to maneuver and work with. from some of the 540 builds presently, respectable but

not what i'd hoped some of the pre-release gala was to be.

airdeano

Corsair classifies the AIR 540 as a mid-tower in their tech specs

http://www.corsair.com/us/pc-cases/carbide-series-pc-case/carbide-series-air-540-high-airflow-atx-cube-case.html

airdeano

1. If I were using the Arc Midi R2, how would I hide my pump? 

2. Can you suggest some cases that are good for water cooling? Mid-tower and full-tower? (Excluding the 900D and other monstrous cases)

1. If I were using the Arc Midi R2, how would I hide my pump? 

2. Can you suggest some cases that are good for water cooling? Mid-tower and full-tower? (Excluding the 900D and other monstrous cases)

1. If you use a bay res + pump combo it can hide very easily there.

2. The switch 810 is nice unless you want to mod it in the future.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

1. If you use a bay res + pump combo it can hide very easily there.

2. The switch 810 is nice unless you want to mod it in the future.

I've heard that using a bay res + pump combo isn't as good as having them separate?

I've heard that using a bay res + pump combo isn't as good as having them separate?

Because a pump+res combo effectively give the pump a custom pump top it can in fact improve the pump performance. (unless you already have a high performance  pump top). Also the fact the reservoir is very near the pump inlet can also increase performance.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Because a pump+res combo effectively give the pump a custom pump top

I didn't understand this part 

I didn't understand this part 

You can buy custom pump tops.

cov-rp450_rev2_p1-700x700.jpg

They improve the performance of the pump as well as giving more mounting and inlet/outlet options. They cost ~$30+ each. With a res+pump combo you effectively get it built into the res.

Hmm, that's interesting.

Newegg classifies it as ATX and not mid atx.

Pcpartpicker classifies it an ATX desktop and calls it an atx full tower.

NCIX calls it a mid tower.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You can buy custom pump tops.

They improve the performance of the pump as well as giving more mounting and inlet/outlet options. They cost ~$30+ each. With a res+pump combo you effectively get it built into the res.

Hmm... so if I want to efficiently hide my pump, I should get a bay reservoir + pump combo.

But does a combo perform as well as having the reservoir and pump separate? What about acoustics? 

I'll do a bit of research

• 2 weeks later...

Eventually, I'd like to design my own water cooling loop and build a water cooled system. I'm wondering if it would be possible to water cool an overclocked CPU and GPU in a mid-tower case?

So is it do-able? I'm quite picky, I like when things look near perfect. Let me know what you think...

Corsair Carbide Air 540 all the way  ;)

PC Gaming forever...

I have a very similar question and situation. Would a triple 120 be enough for a cpu and gpu (4770k and 7950)?

Also I am not sure which of these mid-tower cases will support it. I know all of these cases would work if I could use the front intake as a dual 120, but where would the hdds go? (I plan on running a media server as well with 3-4 hdd's + an ssd boot drive). I also like cases with a nice sleek look and clean front such as these.

Fractal R4  (only has 2 drive bays so can't use a pump+res bay combo cause i need a disc drive) - 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352020

NZXT H230 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146109

Bitfenix Ghost - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811345019

Antec Performance One - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129174

Other than those styles I also like the 

Bitfenix Shinobi - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811345012

Which of these cases would have enough clearance for the radiators (with some positive pressure), and have room for a pump+res and harddrives?

If it isn't possible or requires a tremendous amount of modding I can just go with the phantom 820.

a triple rad would be fine for a 4770k and 780 if your good with a 70C cpu temp and 50C gpu temp, which is well within their design limits.   I have a 4770k @4.2 and 2 780s @1200 with a 360x60mm rad and a 480x60mm. unless I'm playing a game like metro lastlight or a Crytec game I'll turn off the fans on the quad rad and still have temps that are acceptable.  gaming or folding  with my all fans on, not on at 100%, I get under 30C delta on my cpu and 20C delta on my gpus.