Education System (Feel Free to move it to anywhere Mods)

CJChua

You know what? We should start a topic about education on each country. How do you guys doing out there? I really wanna know the difference.

A lot of education systems are quite similar, due to them building on the same foundations. 

I guess the Danish system (or rather, the Scandinavian system) is a bit special.

All education is free and if you are over 18 you get payed to study. You get a minimum of 130$ a month and up to 844$ a month.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

You know what. I don't think we should. Because flame war.

It's pretty simple, just say everything out

A lot of education systems are quite similar, due to them building on the same foundations. 

I guess the Danish system (or rather, the Scandinavian system) is a bit special.

All education is free and if you are over 18 you get payed to study. You get a minimum of 130$ a month and up to 844$ a month.

Can I like come move in with you.

Most educations are like elementary school until 12 years, high school until 16-18, college for about 4 years.

What kinda differs is the subjects and such in school. The languages you will learn, the extra subjects there are and when you will learn what in a specific  subject (like some countries learn some mathematics earlier than others.. For example Belgium starts really early with multiple languages, French and Dutch, because it's a bilingual country.. etc.)

You know what. I don't think we should. Because flame war.

Why would this cause a flamewar?!  :blink:

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The Dutch educations system is also free, for the most part, until the age of 18. After that you get a bit of money still and for example public transport is paid by the government.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Sweden

preschool (up to 5 years old) (very low cost)

Elementary school (6-15) (free)

High school (15-18) (free)

University (18-) (free, actually you get money)

But most Elementary schools and high schools are quite bad.

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

It will cause a flame war. One guy's going to say "no wonder the Americans are so stupid" then everything's going to turn into a massive, pathetic, energy drink fueled shit fest full of asparagus shagging, uneducated, moronic 12 year olds. To put it nicely.

So because some can't behave themselves, the others cant share how the education system is in their country?

Seems legit :P

To revive almost dead post, or not to revive dead post... that is the question

The U.S. education costs big bucks in high school and scholarships are shite, you need to have a wealthy family to get into a college OR work until you have no brain left as tired as f*ck and are pretty much fried.

Good thing i live in Canada

It looks as if the peasants have risen up, and found swords!

But their sword's look a little short, if you know what I mean!

Good! The squires need training anyway!

The U.S. education costs big bucks in high school and scholarships are shite, you need to have a wealthy family to get into a college OR work until you have no brain left as tired as f*ck and are pretty much fried.

Lucky bastard. Yeah, a chunk of the U.S. schools are shit.

The UK has four main stages of education:

Primary School (Ages 4-11, key stages 1 and 2, ends with exams called "SATs" which mean literally nothing at all)

Secondary School (Ages 11-16, generally more work, ends with exams called "GCSEs" and sometimes BTECs which will help decide where you go next, and what Uni you can go to, though not to a very large degree)

After leaving secondary school there are three options available, as you must now remain in some type of full time education until you are 18

1) An apprenticeship, or other working education

2) College (Usually for less academic and more practical subjects than university, you can get a variety of qualifications from this route)

3) Sixth form (this is where most people will go if they plan to go to university. At the end of the sixth form you will take A levels, most students take three A levels, but it is possible in many schools to do up to five. Note: A lot of schools have their own sixth forms, so you don't actually leave the secondary school until you are 18)

Then, usually after going through sixth form, students will apply to Universities, and will be given conditional offers, along the lines of "You can come if you get grades XYZ in subjects A, B and C". Degrees at university are usually 3 or 4 years long, and can obviously be in almost anything you can imagine.

Now, for the ambiguous nonsense that is the names of schools:

• Public school does not mean a school that is free to attend by anyone. A "Public school" is actually a paid, private school, and is called a public school because they were more public than church of England operated schools in the past.
  • If you want a "public" school that is actually public, you're probably thinking about a "Comprehensive" school, meaning a school that accepts students of any religion, race, ability and so on.
  • Private school is a term commonly used to describe public schools, which I explained above.
  • "Free schools" are not necessarily free, they're non-government controlled schools which are given a government budget but then allowed to be more self regulatory, these have gained a shoddy reputation due to overly religious practices in several schools.
  • There's also this other type of school called a grammar school, these usually operate on a selective entry basis, allowing students based on grades. A lot of people don't like these schools, so they're quite rare nowadays.
  • Boarding schools also exist, these are almost always private schools with large annual fees, and the students live in accommodation at the school without their parents. I only know of two people who went to one, and they had very rich parents, so you get the idea.

What is every student required to do? Every student must be in school up to GCSEs, where Maths, English Language and English Literature, and Science are all mandatory, I think 1 language is also mandatory, though I'm not sure.

How good is the schooling? It varies massively, I was fortunate to live in a good area, and attended an ofsted rated "Outstanding" school that provided a huge amount of oppurtunties to its students, however there're just as many bad schools, if not more.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

The UK has four main stages of education:

Primary School (Ages 4-11, key stages 1 and 2, ends with exams called "SATs" which mean literally nothing at all)

Secondary School (Ages 11-16, generally more work, ends with exams called "GCSEs" and sometimes BTECs which will help decide where you go next, and what Uni you can go to, though not to a very large degree)

After leaving secondary school there are three options available, as you must now remain in some type of full time education until you are 18

1) An apprenticeship, or other working education

2) College (Usually for less academic and more practical subjects than university, you can get a variety of qualifications from this route)

3) Sixth form (this is where most people will go if they plan to go to university. At the end of the sixth form you will take A levels, most students take three A levels, but it is possible in many schools to do up to five. Note: A lot of schools have their own sixth forms, so you don't actually leave the secondary school until you are 18)

Then, usually after going through sixth form, students will apply to Universities, and will be given conditional offers, along the lines of "You can come if you get grades XYZ in subjects A, B and C". Degrees at university are usually 3 or 4 years long, and can obviously be in almost anything you can imagine.

Now, for the ambiguous nonsense that is the names of schools:

• Public school does not mean a school that is free to attend by anyone. A "Public school" is actually a paid, private school, and is called a public school because they were more public than church of England operated schools in the past.
  • If you want a "public" school that is actually public, you're probably thinking about a "Comprehensive" school, meaning a school that accepts students of any religion, race, ability and so on.
  • Private school is a term commonly used to describe public schools, which I explained above.
  • "Free schools" are not necessarily free, they're non-government controlled schools which are given a government budget but then allowed to be more self regulatory, these have gained a shoddy reputation due to overly religious practices in several schools.

What is every student required to do? Every student must be in school up to GCSEs, where Maths, English Language and English Literature, and Science are all mandatory, I think 1 language is also mandatory, though I'm not sure.

How good is the schooling? It varies massively, I was fortunate to live in a good area, and attended an ofsted rated "Outstanding" school that provided a huge amount of oppurtunties to its students, however there're just as many bad schools, if not more.

You didn't mention Grammar schools.

You didn't mention Grammar schools.

Shit. I forgot those even existed they're so rare now.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

Shit. I forgot those even existed they're so rare now.

I go to one...

There's 2 more within 30 mins of my school too.

Can I like come move in with you.

Sure, when I get my basement approved as a living space, then you would be free to move in.

Although, you would have to pay for the education and the government funding is hard to get when you are a foreigner. 

Sure, when I get my basement approved as a living space, then you would be free to move in.

Although, you would have to pay for the education and the government funding is hard to get when you are a foreigner. 

It was a joke and the only languages I can speak are english and german.

So you can hardly talk. You are free to talk about Canada though.

You don't need to have a wealthy family or work until you aren't capable of rational thought. Do decently well in highschool, do well on ACT/SAT, you get scholarships. You can work about 24 hours a week while in college and graduate debt-free or low-debt and 3+ years of experience under your belt.

People are just lazy and like to whine.

It was a joke and the only languages I can speak are english and german.

I know you were just joking. It would be pretty risky to just move into a strangers house in a different country. 

Although, you can take most university classes in Englisg as well as Danish. 

There might even be some classes in German. 

I know you were just joking. It would be pretty risky to just move into a strangers house in a different country. 

Although, you can take most university classes in Englisg as well as Danish. 

There might even be some classes in German. 

I guess I'll just get an apprenticeship and get played that way.