Mahogany Desk, Build of the Year 2018

Koverhar

Wow this is a remarkable build. When I first started reading and saw that it was 2015 I was hoping it would be done by the time I got to the end. Well I guess I’ll have to follow along from here. Best of luck!

General nerd and I work in corporate finance. Happy to help!

10 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Did you try contacting companies to see if they would want to sponsor it?  I know there's a lot of people looking for sponsors, but hey worth a shot I reckon.

I really don't know the proper channels to do this. If anyone does and reads this pm me. It's not for this part of the forum but still

18 hours ago, wpowell13 said:

Wow this is a remarkable build. When I first started reading and saw that it was 2015 I was hoping it would be done by the time I got to the end. Well I guess I’ll have to follow along from here. Best of luck!

Yeah it's been a long ride but it WILL BE DONE in the next year, I really am on the end stretch. 

4 hours ago, Koverhar said:

Yeah it's been a long ride but it WILL BE DONE in the next year, I really am on the end stretch. 

Well best of luck to you, I know it will come out great. As a note, I think it would be well worth the investment to hire a professional photographer (possibly someone who does custom cars, as they will be comfortable with the shine of the veneer), to take a session of 4K images for you to keep. That would be a nice summation after your years of hard work.

Just a suggestion.

General nerd and I work in corporate finance. Happy to help!

1 minute ago, wpowell13 said:

Well best of luck to you, I know it will come out great. As a note, I think it would be well worth the investment to hire a professional photographer (possibly someone who does custom cars, as they will be comfortable with the shine of the veneer), to take a session of 4K images for you to keep. That would be a nice summation after your years of hard work.

Just a suggestion.

That is actually planned already:)

• 3 weeks later...

Well time to get back to work after my first vacation in quite some time :)

Got the cabelholders watercut. Next up is sanding them to about 500 grit and then powder coating. I'm decently happy with how they turned out. I went with 8mm 1365 steel this time for some true strength.

There's room for 6 cabels ontop of each other in each opening and 6 satadata cabels in the wider hole. I'll drill true them and mount them with screws down in the table.

I got 8 of them so I can have 1 every 10 centimeters or so :)

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

And then the beast has arrived :) 49 inches of samsung goodness. Still in the box because we need to weld a new stand for this thing but it's all good.

[IMG] 

And lastly some more trivial things like 60 fittigs for watercooling, internal usb 3.0 extenders. 90 degree connections for sata ports etc etc. I got my work cut out for me!

Here's the mess^^

[IMG]

That is so awsome

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

Looking very nice :)

Just out of interest, looks like you have a curved screen there, I'm guessing you have made allowances for the hinged glass "lid" to not impact the screen when you have made the new TV bracket?   and as it is now I guess you can't use the lid as it looks very close to me?

Anyway, not a big deal, as I said I'm sure you already made allowances, but just wanted to ask is all.. keep up the excellent work.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Holy... That desk is beautiful!!! :) It's come so far from when I first saw you starting it :) 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

With how much has changed when you re do the parts inside would you consider replacing all the fans and going RGB inside? 

Not a fan of it, but man well well done, its an epic build and done so right and clean! looking forward to seeing it all finished. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

19 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Looking very nice :)

Just out of interest, looks like you have a curved screen there, I'm guessing you have made allowances for the hinged glass "lid" to not impact the screen when you have made the new TV bracket?   and as it is now I guess you can't use the lid as it looks very close to me?

Anyway, not a big deal, as I said I'm sure you already made allowances, but just wanted to ask is all.. keep up the excellent work.

Yes obviously I had to get custom hinges to solve this problem. The max range on the hinges make sure the glass won't touch the screen. Hence the custom scissor hinges were needed as seen here. (still waiting to get them back from chrome)

xuL5SNhl.jpg

19 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

With how much has changed when you re do the parts inside would you consider replacing all the fans and going RGB inside? 

Not a fan of it, but man well well done, its an epic build and done so right and clean! looking forward to seeing it all finished. 

Well this build is for me but If someone wanted a table made with rgb it would be doable. I'm personally not a fan of the christmastree-e look. That being said the build is technically RGB because I will run custom lights trrough my arduino but thats for another update :)

Time for some time consuming but neccecary stuff

All the harddrives and ssd custom cables have been done. Some small fixes to be made still but it's all there and it works

[IMG] 

My custom stand for it all if anyone forgot :)

[IMG] 

Not a fun cable to make:S

[IMG] 

All done just gonna tuck it a bit and the cables will flow perfectly

[IMG] 

And yeah the key ignition is up and running!

[IMG] 

Components are coming in a bit more rapidly now :)

Last night the 8 temp monitors. Had to make the weirdest cable for this. So I converted the ends from molex to 3 pin fan connectors and then rerouted a molex to not feed 12 volt (didn't realize this at first though so the monitors got some good ol' frying time:D) and theeen another molex end made for the pumps. But all in all it worked well and 10 components running off 1 cable seems very efficient and clean so I'm happy.

[IMG] 

Here's a list of what's happening and needs to be done:

-Drive to Sweden to get my chromeplated parts back (first week of february).
-Fasten those parts and get special glue to fit the hinges to the glass
-Redo the monitor stand and route said cables through the stand. These cables also have to be custom sleeved
-Route said cables from motherboard to the stand
-Get cableclamps drilled, sanded and painted.
-Order pumps and then make custom stands for them aswell as lathe new backparts.
-Slight remake of the top part of the legs.
-Get the new monitor stand, legs and a few smaller parts to chrome.
-In the meantime finish the cable work and install the watercooling.
-Do the lighting
-Make custom external ethernet and power cables
-Make internal AC power splitters to power screen, ODAC and computer

So yeah there's a bit to go but I'm getting there and I have a buildfriend thank god because some of these things are not fun to do alone :)

• 3 weeks later...
Got them cableholders done. Had to outsource the drilling because it was so incredibly tight.  Needed 4 mm drilled holes straight through 5 mm of steel. They're ready for paint now. 
[IMG]

[IMG] 

Pretty happy with them but it was too tight. Next time I'll get some more margin to work with

[IMG] 

I got 8 of them

[IMG] 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got a huge update coming in 2-3 weeks but here's a sneakpeak:) 

This is what will become the new screenholder for the 49 inch samsung. And jesus christ it was hard to find someone willing to bend a 60mm pipe to my specifications. Had to travel quite far to get this done, wasn't cheap either:S Props to Mikael for the welding. 

[IMG]

• 2 weeks later...

Well here we go, the legs have been redone. They now have a more smooth and round shape at the upper part.

[IMG] 

Also increased the surface area and therefor strengthened the structure with about 150% more surface area.

[IMG] 

Obviously the legs will get sanded down and chromed.

[IMG] 

Time to get that screen onto this table then :)

[IMG] 

Screenholder getting bored and threaded

[IMG] 

Using a 65 mm thick shaftsteel to hold the screen in place

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

Trown in place

[IMG] 

Tried to get the shape of the screen emulated and keep the same curvature of the wood

[IMG] 

And mounted in place!

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

It's a heavy piece now:)

[IMG] 

Testfitting the back wood panel.

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

Next up is sanding and getting back some of the things from chrome

Nice one! Looks amazing.

Does the screen stand have any tilt adjustment at all?  or has the screen positioning been measured for your optimal viewing angle?  I'm guessing the second one seeing as the rest of the build has been done to perfection, and redone, lol  :D

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

4 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Nice one! Looks amazing.

Does the screen stand have any tilt adjustment at all?  or has the screen positioning been measured for your optimal viewing angle?  I'm guessing the second one seeing as the rest of the build has been done to perfection, and redone, lol  :D

It's currently set to my preference and It can be changed (tilted and piveted) in a measly 30 minutes of tinkering and changing parts:)

2 minutes ago, Koverhar said:

It's currently set to my preference and It can't be changed (tilted and piveted) in a measly 30 minutes of tinkering and changing parts:)

No worries, it's still a very nice build, and if it's set up for your seating position the rest probably doesn't matter at all, was just an idle thought, lol... most people probably adjust their screens like twice a year or something anyway, unless they have bad reflections and such. I have probably moved mine maybe 6 times in the year or so that I've had it... but I have decided to get a gas lift mount for it now anyway, and make some more adjustments that have been put off for too long.

Again, love the build man... it is a work of art for sure.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

7 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

No worries, it's still a very nice build, and if it's set up for your seating position the rest probably doesn't matter at all, was just an idle thought, lol... most people probably adjust their screens like twice a year or something anyway, unless they have bad reflections and such. I have probably moved mine maybe 6 times in the year or so that I've had it... but I have decided to get a gas lift mount for it now anyway, and make some more adjustments that have been put off for too long.

Again, love the build man... it is a work of art for sure.

I misstyped. You can change everything. It just takes 15-30 minutes to change the tilt. However u can turn the screen on its axis 180 degrees at all times

10 hours ago, Koverhar said:

I misstyped. You can change everything. It just takes 15-30 minutes to change the tilt. However u can turn the screen on its axis 180 degrees at all times

Nice, that's very good then to be able to do that. That's a VERY good design :)

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

LOVE this design. Very awesome job man, extremely clean and elegant!