Mahogany Desk, Build of the Year 2018

Koverhar

Dude this desk computer is amazing. I really need to step up my game. Ha!

Maybe I will use your desk as inspiration for my next project. Thanks for continuing the new trend of desk computers.

31 minutes ago, Zakgruza said:

Dude this desk computer is amazing. I really need to step up my game. Ha!

Maybe I will use your desk as inspiration for my next project. Thanks for continuing the new trend of desk computers.

Healthy competition:) 

• 2 months later...

Well long time no seen but a lot has been done!:)

Finally it's stained to the mahogany colour I wanted varnishing stars the following monday. I should have the table back by friday in it's full gloss and glory.The finish I wanted for this really pushed the amount of work.

For the ones interested here's how the wood has been prepared,

Dried inside for 2 years. several years before before taking it inside.

Then filed down to the desired shape.

Then sandpaper. Going through the different coursnesses. 120 grit 2 times (every step is dried in between with azetone), 240 grit 2 times, 320 grit 2 times, 400 grit 2 times, 500 grit 3 times, 600 grit 2 times and finally 800 grit 2 times.

After the first coat of varnish I'll sand it to 1200 grit and then to 2000 grit before the next coat and repeating this until it has 4-5 layers of varnish.

Mixing 2 different industrial strenght stains.
3GyEIIG.jpg

I made the bottom of the edges a bit nicer

o4rQjtp.jpg

Let the staining commence

lK53pzu.jpg

e9L3wKG.jpg

The back panel

l6OylEB.jpg

ta19l35.jpg

The rest of the table

KS4ED5B.jpg

IuEvPuE.jpg

lKoBX7h.jpg

9mUeyyO.jpg

bapgBTA.jpg

onz9fOZ.jpg

I've gone through at least 7 litres of azetone. And like 100 rugs:D Big up again to my friend Michael who's been with me sanding down this beast of a machine

29eaCiV.jpg

15 hours ago, TheCamba said:

Nicely done!  Little fuzzy on those shots.

Thank you, My camera isn't the greatest. I will have high res pictures of everything when it's getting finished though. Apologies for the inconvience

Subbed!

@Koverhar Amazing build, can't wait to see it finished. Great work B|

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

• 2 weeks later...

Sneakpeak of what's been happening. Big update coming soon:)

12 layers of varnish on. I'll get this sucker waxed up and then we'll get a better camera but for now just a few pictures indicating that I'm still alive^^
[IMG] 

Chromeprepping at 2500 grit sandpaper

[IMG] 

Mobile phone pick, it's really hard to capture the gloss. I'll get back to you shortly:)
[IMG]

C9CbSV6.jpg

On ‎7‎-‎10‎-‎2017 at 1:25 PM, Koverhar said:

Sneakpeak of what's been happening. Big update coming soon:)

Damn! I'd completely forgotten about this build, but I'm glad my notifications list reminded me, because it just continues to look more amazing every time!

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

Just a minupdate..

Started with some cablework:) 

[IMG] 

My living room is a mess... :)

[IMG] 

Some radiator fan connectors being born

[IMG] 

And yeah btw I'll make a keyboard (after the table is done) using ebenholtz and moosehorn like an old timey grand piano.
That black piece is the wood from madagaskar

[IMG]

That desk alone looks amazing, you don't even need a pc for it to be impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

Well hello again :)

I'll start off with some pictures of the table after the varnishing (yet to get nanowax treatment) and if you scroll further down you'll see some of the cablework.

[IMG] 
[IMG] 
nevermind the dust:) It will dissapear

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

[IMG] 
[IMG] 

Now onto the cablework. Thanks again to ICEMODZ for chipping in and helping me out on this!

First things first I had to get everything out. My living room once again is a mess:(

[IMG] 

Just did a bunch of y-splitters for these cables and I run them on 2 different knobs on the fan controller

[IMG] 

Might be a tip for anyone new to this to grab one of these so you make sure you get it right without blowing any components up

[IMG] 

Then I proceeded to hide pretty much every fan cable in the actual frame.
[IMG] 

Sneaky sneaky cable management:)

[IMG] 

Had to heatshrink all the y-splitters

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

The 360 radiator fans did get sleeved however because they will be somewhat visible

[IMG] 

Testrunning everything. Worked:)

[IMG] 

This is just a temporary solution because everything will keep going in and out

[IMG] 

For those wondering the fan cables from the back radiators (the 560 monstahs) will be run underneath the side fans and completely hidden

[IMG] 

My first sleeved cable:) this one will run the fan controller

[IMG] 

And this is what comes out after the wood comes back down

[IMG] 

And after this I'll get onto more cable work. Until next time

Well happy halloween, I dressed up as usual to my "homeless elf" costume and did some cablework:) This is pretty time consuming stuff I'm learning as I go but after 2 attempts on my harddrive cable this is what I ended up with

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

And by some miracle it worked

[IMG] 

Going off the rails here a little bit but I wanted something that suited the table where I could rest my headphones when I'm not using them so I made a custom headphone stand.

Plasmacut some stainless 4mm thick circular plates and lathed and treaded some 30 mm stainless shaftsteel. Then proceeded to make some holes and this is what the mounting device looks like.

And yeah It will get the same Birch style wood with 12 layers of varnish:D That being said I sent the wood off for some final treatment so it doesn't get scratched by the heavy use. So you will see it all together on friday evening but heres the metal at least :)

[IMG] 

[IMG] '
[IMG] 

Here's the finished headphone stand. It became a little bit overbuilt but I like it. Got 10 or 11 layers of varnish cant remember..

Pictures :)

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

Soon I got a complete office:)

[IMG]

• 3 weeks later...
Well finally prepped for chrome:) Or technically nickel-plating. Think is went a bit overkill but these are the hinges that keep up the glass:)
They're covered in oil atm to not get surface rust so it looks a bit weird but you will get more pictures as they're all nickelplated and shiny

[IMG] 
[IMG]

• 2 weeks later...

Well just so you don't think I died or anything I went on a 12 hour roadtrip today. 

Everything has bent sent off to chrome-plating in sweden after a pretty riddiculus amount of sandpaperwork:) Here's a map of the "vacation" I'll return with pictures when I get them back

[IMG]

4 hours ago, Koverhar said:

This is an amazing project. Your craftsman ship skills are truly unbelievable. 

My personal PC:

CPU: Intel - Core i5 8600k  Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo  Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-P RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz DDR4 Storage: San Disk SSD Plus 240 GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB  Video Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce OC 8GB Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S Tempered Glass ATX  PSU: Corsair CX550M 80+ Bronze Certified Semi Modular PSU.

Peripherals:

Mouse: Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse Keyboard: Rii - RK100 Wired Standard Keyboard Monitor: Asus - VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor Headset: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel Headset Speakers: Logitech - Z150 0W 2ch Speakers

Laptop: 

Medion  E6239 MD99452

PCPartpicker Link: 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VVwvHN

Ye for those who missed it the screen has been decided. I'm gonna get myself a 49 inch samsung. Drew up a size comparison as well. Unfortunately I will have to remake the whole monitor stand but I got an idea for it which you will see in due time.

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

Just went through this topic. Oh my god this build is amazing. The amount of work you've put in it is incredible and I commend you for keeping up with it! Damn. I love that you've kept it this upgradeable (with the caselabs tray). I mean, this desk is gonna be useable for years and years. 

The ODAC built into the desk is so fucking cool. 

BTW - God tier beard.

- @Slick in a PM once

12 hours ago, Brammm said:

Just went through this topic. Oh my god this build is amazing. The amount of work you've put in it is incredible and I commend you for keeping up with it! Damn. I love that you've kept it this upgradeable (with the caselabs tray). I mean, this desk is gonna be useable for years and years. 

The ODAC built into the desk is so fucking cool. 

Thank you for the kind words! Yeah it's built to last. It might be a bit overbuilt. I hope people will like the end result even though I don't have dual titans or anything :)

2 hours ago, Koverhar said:

Thank you for the kind words! Yeah it's built to last. It might be a bit overbuilt. I hope people will like the end result even though I don't have dual titans or anything :)

Dude, for all I care, you're running a cpu and gpu from 3 generations ago, ain't no one gonna care. You built a masterpiece.

BTW - God tier beard.

- @Slick in a PM once

2 hours ago, Koverhar said:

Did you try contacting companies to see if they would want to sponsor it?  I know there's a lot of people looking for sponsors, but hey worth a shot I reckon.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini