Intel creates their own Linux distro for servers

Go to solution Solved by Altecice,

Bravo Intel, they are joining the future of VM's. Should be interesting!

Intel has released Clear Linux - their very lean distribution aimed at taking the best advantage of Intel's own technologies and being a very convenient base for various servers.

The Clear Linux* Project for Intel® Architecture is a project that is building a Linux OS distribution for various cloud use cases. The goal of Clear Linux OS is to showcase the best of Intel Architecture technology, from low-level kernel features to more complex items that span across the entire operating system stack.

The system is stateless meaning it will operate without any custom configuration ( /etc files) and separates configuration files of the operating system and the various programs making them easy to migrate.

The distribution is iterating rapidly with several releases a day and is available for download in various virtualization containers as well as a conventional installer and by default weighs in at 1GB, resulting in lightning fast boot times even compared to other distributions without graphical interfaces.

post-75028-0-55404000-1450434349.jpeg

Project homepage

Phoronix article

The software update section of the homepage is interesting. It's a little like like CodeDeploy, where the whole of the software is updated at once, except on the OS level.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Yup. It was only a matter of time. IBM and Oracle have their own proprietary versions for their big-iron scale-up servers. This will be for squeezing the absolute best performance from Knight's Landing. I wonder if they'll open source any part of it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Update on that AMD test thing:

The compression on their live image package is amazing... from 132MB in the .xz package to over 5GB when unpacked...

Still can't do the test since I don't have a free flash drive right now...

​...Kind of.

​Linux is just a kernel, you know. For all we know, Intel wouldn't be making major changes to the kernel, and instead focusing on the userland a la Android.

​Android does not have to be libre (even though it is). In fact, Android is licensed under the Apache license, as it does not use the GNU userland. This is how you have so many proprietary spinoffs (HTC Sense, Samsung Touchwiz, etc.), and all they have to do is release the source code for the kernel.

Now to test if this runs on AMD...

it probably will. See no reason why it wont. drivers would have to be manually installed though likely.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Errrm... It's Linux.

Linux is licensed under GPL. Meaning it cannot not be open source. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft

Not true. IBM has a locked down, proprietary version of it. Anyone can make a proprietary, locked down version of Linux.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I'd like to know what the repos look like - might give it a spin one of these days

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Not true. IBM has a locked down, proprietary version of it. Anyone can make a proprietary, locked down version of Linux.

Do you mean AIX? Cause AIX came out in 1986 (5 years before Linux) and is based on System V, which in turn came out in 1983.

Also, if IBM have a proprietary version, why would they be among the top 10 contributors to the open source kernel?

Do you mean AIX? Cause AIX came out in 1986 (5 years before Linux).

Also, if IBM have a proprietary version, why would they be among the top 10 contributors to the open source kernel?

The kernel alone is not the OS. Second, AIX was completely scrapped and rebuilt ground-up from Linux in the mid 90s.

The kernel alone is not the OS.

Funny, I swear I can remember having an argument with you, where you said that it's stupid to call Linux 'GNU/Linux' cause the kernel is the operating system.

Funny, I swear I can remember having an argument with you, where you said that it's stupid to call Linux 'GNU/Linux' cause the kernel is the operating system.

My argument was that GNU is a toolchain that can be attached or detached from the OS with no consequence, and thus Stallman wanting it to be called GNU/Linux is arrogant.

GNU is a toolchain that can be attached or detached from the OS with no consequence

I don't know about that. Just off the top of my head, detaching GCC, GRUB and grep from my OS would have very noticeable consequences.

I don't know about that. Just off the top of my head, detaching GCC, GRUB and grep from my OS would have very noticeable consequences.

The OS can load without GRUB. As for GCC, unless you're dynamically linking to uncompiled code libraries (which, why would you?), it shouldn't matter at all.

is there a GUI?  I'm too much of a noob to use anything without a GUI...  if there is I might try it...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

is there a GUI?  I'm too much of a noob to use anything without a GUI...  if there is I might try it...

Clear Linux OS for Intel Architecture is focused on the Cloud. Our aim was not to make yet another general-purpose Linux distribution; sometimes lean-and-fast is better than big-and-universal. So while we include many software components from the OpenStack* Foundation, we chose, for example, not to include a GUI or printing support.

source: https://clearlinux.org/

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Update on that AMD trial thing:

For some reason their live image won't work on both of my machines... and the boot sector couldn't be recognized...

Can anyone confirm what's wrong?

I used Rufus v. 2.5 to build the bootable USB drive for it...

Yup. It was only a matter of time. IBM and Oracle have their own proprietary versions for their big-iron scale-up servers. This will be for squeezing the absolute best performance from Knight's Landing. I wonder if they'll open source any part of it.

Google too. They have their own kernel and runtime for it too and have had this for several years.

Bravo Intel, they are joining the future of VM's. Should be interesting!

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)