How To Create A Website?

TeraHertz

I was wondering how do you create a website without any downloads and not using no-ip while also getting a domain name. If anyone knows how please tell me. Also, please keep in mind I'm not very smart when it comes to programming and HTML n' that stuff. I'm running Windows 10 upgraded from 7 Home Premium.

I was wondering how do you create a website without any downloads and not using no-ip while also getting a domain name. If anyone knows how please tell me. Also, please keep in mind I'm not very smart when it comes to programming and HTML n' that stuff. I'm running Windows 10 upgraded from 7 Home Premium.

google "free website" ?

try looking onto squarespace. they have probably something for you over there.

it isn't free tough!

I want to host it on my PC too.

For a domain, I use namecheap, they've provided a good service for me, and they're relatively cheap too.

As for creating the website, I'd suggest using something such as adobe dreamweaver until you've got a reasonably solid footing with HTML, CSS, and Javascript, then a browser and nodepad++ are pretty much the only tools you'd need for developing it. (Which is what I do)

Not too sure on hosting it so the public is able to access it though :/

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I want to host it on my PC too.

If it's on your own PC, download WAMP for the ultimate easy website experience (with wordpress and whatnot).

I'd recommend a free EC2 server for 24/7 availability though. It'll take a day to learn the basic linux commands to make it all work (simply sudo tasksel and select the LAMP stack). The micro EC2 instances (you don't need more) is free for 1 year. You can also use the EC2 instance for other things too (think computer in the cloud on 24/7).

If it's on your own PC, download WAMP for the ultimate easy website experience (with wordpress and whatnot).

I'd recommend a free EC2 server for 24/7 availability though. It'll take a day to learn the basic linux commands to make it all work (simply sudo tasksel and select the LAMP stack). The micro EC2 instances (you don't need more) is free for 1 year. You can also use the EC2 instance for other things too (think computer in the cloud on 24/7).

I would prefer not to download something like that. And what's EC2?

If you're running Windows, your options are either that or using Microsoft's IIS (which isn't that good IMO, but they have a web platform installer thing for easy wordpress, so to each their own I guess).

EC2 is a hosted service by amazon. It basically gives you an always on virtual machine. For our purposes, it's a computer that's on 24/7 in the cloud (a computer which can host websites). Note that EC2 will require a credit card/phone number even though it's free.

try looking onto squarespace. they have probably something for you over there.

it isn't free tough!

No such thing as a 'free' website, even if you host your own, you've got to pay for power and stuff somehow.

You need a webserver on your computer to host a website. A few of your options are: apache, nginx, node, or IIS.

You need a webserver on your computer to host a website. A few of your options are: apache, nginx, node, or IIS.

Apache in my experience is really easy to manage on Windows, i'd recommend that to OP

Without such a package you're only able to run a very basic website that would be tedious to manage, especially if you are intending to have several pages. A WAMP (Wordpress, Apache, MySQL and PHP) package combines the basics needed to start a easy to manage, fully interactive site. There are several different creators of such packages on Google.

I'm guessing you know about IP addresses and routing? If not, you absolutely NEED to learn about that before you start. You need to first find out if your router's IP address can be accessed over the internet - this can be done by pinging it. If you don't know your router's public IP address, simply google "my ip" and it will come up. Next, go to your router and look for port forwarding. Forward all incoming port 80 connections to your PC. (DO NOT add the computer to the DMZ, unless you are running a server edition of windows/linux with all security updates set to automatically install). Next, guessing that you have webserver software on your PC, navigate to http://localhost, where you should see a page of some sort. Next, using the IP you got from Google, navigate to that, and you should see the same page. Now you should be ready to set up no-ip. (I use an alternative to no-ip, so can't help there)

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Since you haven't actually specified it needs to be free, I would recommend just going and signing up for Squarespace. It's $8 a month (which isn't much more than hosting if at all) and if you use the offer code LINUS you can get 10% off you first order.

Seriously, given your apparent level of experience, this is going to be the easiest route for you.

Hosting on your own PC is going to be a lot more hassle than it is worth, too. You'd need to configure dynamic DNS, meaning you need a router that supports it... You'd also need to forward incoming traffic on port 80 through your router's firewall to your hosting PC.

Then again, I don't know what the purpose of this is... Are you looking to create a specific website for a specific purpose? Or do you want to set one up as a learning exercise?

Look up "Weebly" and make a website. Here is a reference to what they can look like (lots of templates though)

lesserknownreviews.weebly.com

I made it :P

It looks as if the peasants have risen up, and found swords!

But their sword's look a little short, if you know what I mean!

Good! The squires need training anyway!

Apache in my experience is really easy to manage on Windows, i'd recommend that to OP

Without such a package you're only able to run a very basic website that would be tedious to manage, especially if you are intending to have several pages. A WAMP (Wordpress, Apache, MySQL and PHP) package combines the basics needed to start a easy to manage, fully interactive site. There are several different creators of such packages on Google.

I'm guessing you know about IP addresses and routing? If not, you absolutely NEED to learn about that before you start. You need to first find out if your router's IP address can be accessed over the internet - this can be done by pinging it. If you don't know your router's public IP address, simply google "my ip" and it will come up. Next, go to your router and look for port forwarding. Forward all incoming port 80 connections to your PC. (DO NOT add the computer to the DMZ, unless you are running a server edition of windows/linux with all security updates set to automatically install). Next, guessing that you have webserver software on your PC, navigate to http://localhost, where you should see a page of some sort. Next, using the IP you got from Google, navigate to that, and you should see the same page. Now you should be ready to set up no-ip. (I use an alternative to no-ip, so can't help there)

Thank you for the info!

How do you ping an IP?

How do you ping an IP?

Open the command line/terminal on any computer and type "ping" followed by the IP or domain name.

Bhp80yc.png

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Google how to make a wesbite on IIS 6. You will still need to be able to use HTML which isn't a programming language. It is very easy to use. IIS 6 is what a lot of web hosting companies use. You will need to use your PC as a server or Host.

I have an i5 and many other things