Thermal Paste Spreading

Go to solution Solved by LeapFrogMasterRace,

apply_1.jpg

Hi, just wondering what would be acceptable thermal paste spreading on a cpu and what would be invalid or unnacceptable spreading on a cpu? I used the line or small cooked grain of rice method for my 4790k and my noctua heatsink, I just want to know what appropriate results should look like and would be wrong 

Hi, just wondering what would be acceptable thermal paste spreading on a cpu and what would be invalid or unnacceptable spreading on a cpu? I used the line or small cooked grain of rice method for my 4790k and my noctua heatsink, I just want to know what appropriate results should look like and would be wrong 

rice

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

yeah a small cooked rice is enough, and it will spread when you put the heatsink on

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

Abnormally high temperatures is a good sign. Of course, that is not limited to poor thermal paste application though.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

If the thermal paste just reaches to the end of the heat spreader of your CPU it's perfect.

Wow... Most people seem to not understand the question...

Spread it, don't spread it. Do whatever you feel comfortable with. Just don't use too much.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

yeah a small cooked rice is enough, and it will spread when you put the heatsink on

WOULD IT REALLY.

If the thermal paste just reaches to the end of the heat spreader of your CPU it's perfect.

Wow... Most people seem to not understand the question...

I KNOW RIGHT. LOL 

Can you go into detail like with imagery? Like an image example? Thank you by the way for understanding the question 

WOULD IT REALLY.

yes, if you want you can take it out and check if it reached the whole heatspreader

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

apply_1.jpg

Hi there, thank you, that looks about right what I had done, could you provide an example of proper paste spreading and improper spreading? 

I KNOW RIGHT. LOL 

Can you go into detail like with imagery? Like an image example? Thank you by the way for understanding the question 

If the part that is supposed to touch the heatsink is almost completely covered in siliconed grease, then you get the right amount, don't exced either, you don't want to have it all over the socket

Hi there, thank you, that looks about right what I had done, could you provide an example of proper paste spreading and improper spreading? 

https://www.google.com.ar/search?q=thermal+grease+cpu&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=955&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi23tT6yuHJAhWBTZAKHe63BckQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=G7SWBsWi34iWmM%3A

i spread it out all the time. i also use very thin viscosity paste. ( AC5 in texture is too thick for me as is the "diamond" crap ).

grain of rice

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I KNOW RIGHT. LOL 

You're lucky that I'm in a good mood, cause I made this little picture for you:

It should be pretty self explanatory. ;)

Iyh10d7.jpg

You're lucky that I'm in a good mood, cause I made this little picture for you:

It should be pretty self explanatory. ;)

-snip

THANK YOU! 

So, why are those crescents around the edges acceptable? 

grain of rice

Thank you so much for reading the posts. Christ.

Thank you so much for reading the posts. Christ.

No problem.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Spreading works fine if you get a thin uniform layer, but it's an enormous pain in the ass and the single grain of rice size drop in the middle works just as well and is 100x easier.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Thermal-Paste-Application-Techniques-170/

GOOD: https://www.pugetsystems.com/images/pic_disp.php?id=21964&width=800&height=800

BAD: https://www.pugetsystems.com/images/pic_disp.php?id=21965&width=800&height=800

A pea, or grain of rice, or a line. It will all be ok. Go look at a delidded cpu and you will see what the die looks like underneath the IHS so basically you don't have to have it reach the four corners or the IHS, its going to spread out in a circle pretty much but any method is going to be fine. Now on a graphics card or a delidded cpu you want to make sure you have full coverage because the die is fully exposed and needs to be fully covered.

THANK YOU! 

So, why are those crescents around the edges acceptable? 

That's just how the "rice" method spreads out. There isn't much you can to about. But the actual CPU chip is located in the middle anyways, so it doesn't make much difference if the corners are covered in thermal paste or not.