Thinking about upgrading laptop CPU.

Hey all, I have an emachines e627 laptop that I'd like to replace the CPU in.

Specs:

2GB RAM

AMD Athlon 64 TF-20

Radeon HD 3200

I would like to be able to play games better and am thinking about replacing my CPU with an AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-52, someone has upgraded an emachines e627 successfully with a TL-52 before, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it. I also want to upgrade my RAM to 4GB. What do you guys think? Thanks. :)

I think you should get a new laptop. Like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312828

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

My laptop had the same cpu (Athlon TF-20) and I got a used Turion TL-60 on Ebay for less than $10. It worked great for me and was waaaay faster than the crappy Athlon. Temps did rise a bit, though, I don't mind too much though. In terms of gaming, it may not help too much, the GPU is probably a big part of the problem. Still worth upgrading though, even when not gaming you'll see a big improvement, you should be able to find one pretty cheap on Ebay. Good luck.

Edit: Here is a TL-60 for under $6 on Ebay, for that price you can't really go wrong: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Turion-64-X2-TL-60-2-0-GHz-Laptop-Processor-CPU-TMDTL60HAX5DM-/360726793674?pt=CPUs&hash=item53fcfe0dca

There are also some TL-64s for ~$10 more, just make sure you keep temperatures in mind, you don't want to overdue it.

My laptop had the same cpu (Athlon TF-20) and I got a used Turion TL-60 on Ebay for less than $10. It worked great for me and was waaaay faster than the crappy Athlon. Temps did rise a bit, though, I don't mind too much though. In terms of gaming, it may not help too much, the GPU is probably a big part of the problem. Still worth upgrading though, even when not gaming you'll see a big improvement, you should be able to find one pretty cheap on Ebay. Good luck.

Thanks, I've thought about the TL-60 before too.

Also you'll probably see a much bigger difference with a new CPU over new memory. I upgraded my memory from 3 to 4 GB and saw almost no difference in performance, switching out the CPU was night and day though (and much cheaper).

Depending on how the cpu is attached to the board you may or may not be able to do this. If the CPU is in a Ball Grid Array (BGA) socket then you will not be able to remove it because the CPU is soldered to the motherboard of the laptop. Also you need to think a lot about temps because a new processor may pump out too much heat for your computer to handle. Also think about how much that new CPU will draw compared to the last one.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

Depending on how the cpu is attached to the board you may or may not be able to do this. If the CPU is in a Ball Grid Array (BGA) socket then you will not be able to remove it because the CPU is soldered to the motherboard of the laptop. Also you need to think a lot about temps because a new processor may pump out too much heat for your computer to handle. Also think about how much that new CPU will draw compared to the last one.

It isn't soldered on. And the TF-20 (CPU currently in my laptop) uses 15 watts. The TL-52 either uses 31 or 35 watts, many people have replaced their emachines e627 CPU with a CPU that uses 31 watts, so that isn't a huge concern for me. My main concern is heat, but I could probably figure something out.

Hey all, I have an emachines e627 laptop that I'd like to replace the CPU in.

Specs:

2GB RAM

AMD Athlon 64 TF-20

Radeon HD 3200

I would like to be able to play games better and am thinking about replacing my CPU with an AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-52, someone has upgraded an emachines e627 successfully with a TL-52 before, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it. I also want to upgrade my RAM to 4GB. What do you guys think? Thanks. :)

Personally I would suggest just saving your money and getting a new notebook or even just getting a desktop, its honestly probably not going to be worth changing out the cpu. I really suggest just saving your money for something else. 

-Brad

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5

Personally I would suggest just saving your money and getting a new notebook or even just getting a desktop, its honestly probably not going to be worth changing out the cpu. I really suggest just saving your money for something else. 

-Brad

For web browsing and normal use it would still be perfectly fine. For gaming though I would recommend to save up and build a PC.

Better to get a new laptop for the money u might spend on a laptop CPU.... Ah?

back up you data, buy some good thermal paste, a can or two of compressed air, set realistic expectations and do it already! but really what are you waiting for?

I dont think your laptop can handle 35w of heat, because the cooler is designed to cool only a 15w tdp.

Intel3570k  at  4.5ghz 1.300v  Noctua NH-D14    Gigabyte Gtx 970 G1   AsrockZ77 Extreme 6/TB4     Corsair8Gb vengeance memory    120GB Corsair Force SSD     1TB WD black      NZXT Switch 810

The cpu is like $5... 

That is sometimes true though sometimes laptop cpus can get more pricier than desktop cpu's and why not get a new rig? 

That is sometimes true though sometimes laptop cpus can get more pricier than desktop cpu's and why not get a new rig? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Turion-64-X2-TL-60-mobile-socket-S1-laptop-CPU-TMDTL60HAX5DM-2-0-GHz-1MB-/221274496352?pt=CPUs&hash=item3384fcdd60

I dont think your laptop can handle 35w of heat, because the cooler is designed to cool only a 15w tdp.

Mine does fine after upgrading to a Turion tl-60  from the Athlon. I guess mine could have a better cooler though, I have an Aspire 5532.

Bombsahoy, on 30 Aug 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:snapback.png

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3384fcdd60

Yes, your correct dude for this Processor at $5.95. But is it worth the upgrade? just a question. Why not get a new laptop? 

Is it not better to get a new laptop over a little bit better cpu? 

Yea going through all that trouble, taking the whole thing apart isnt going to do you any good. You're better off just getting new laptop. 

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

As long as you don't game on it, it will be fast enough for web browsing and pretty much anything besides gaming/video editing. Like I said, my laptop with a tl-60 is more than fast enough for what I use it for (watching yt and web-browsing), and the upgraded cpu made quite a big difference over the Athlon. Some laptops can be a pain to take apart and it is pretty tricky sometimes though, its up to you if you want to go for it or not.