I upgraded CPU, RAM, MOBO, and added an HDD and win7 crashes

angrypig7

Just as the title. I upgraded the CPU from E5200 to I3-4160,

RAM from DDR2 3GB(1+2) to DDR3 8GB(8x1), changed the MOBO from ASUS motherboard with 775 socket to MSI H81MP33

and added an WD Blue 500GB hard drive(I'm sure I didn't have to write the last one :D).

And on the first boot, Windows 7 detected new CPU and RAM and asked me if I wanted to configure the new setup.

At that time I plugged my keyboard into an USB 3.0 port and didn't respond, so I plugged into a 2.0 port. And after I plugged my keyboard into a 2.0 port, I saw Windows logo booting up

and saw it crashing.

Should I go for a clean Windows install? What bothers me is that this is not my computer, so that's the problem.

Any suggestions what to do?? I'm freaking out right now...

RAM from DDR2 3GB(1+2) to DDR3 8GB(8x1), changed the MOBO from ASUS motherboard with 775 socket to MSI H81MP33

and added an WD Blue 500GB hard drive(I'm sure I didn't have to write the last one :D).

And on the first boot, Windows 7 detected new CPU and RAM and asked me if I wanted to configure the new setup.

At that time I plugged my keyboard into an USB 3.0 port and didn't respond, so I plugged into a 2.0 port. And after I plugged my keyboard into a 2.0 port, I saw Windows logo booting up

and saw it crashing.

Should I go for a clean Windows install? What bothers me is that this is not my computer, so that's the problem.

Always do a reinstall when changing motherboards.

Saves headaches and problems.

You COULD remove all drivers (safe mode if need be) (motherboard/chipset drivers n such) and then restart and then install the new drivers, but I'd rather re-install.

Whether its your PC or not, does not matter, it has to be done anyway.

Windows will startup REQUIRING certain hardware/software configs/registry/software links that the drivers are attached to, when that fails it can cause Windows to not boot and just give blue-screens.

So just do a reinstall.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Yes happend to me, i changed my mobo and started on bootup it stucked. Clean install is the solution.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

See if your SATA mode is on AHCI, if not set it to AHCI inthe BIOS

Moreover, since it's a new motherboard my guess is that Win7 didn't detect the same socket as your previous motherboard, wanting you to format(aka must be the same model) But first check if it's on AHCI then make assumptions.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

@angrypig7 Hi there, I suggest reinstalling Windows like @SkilledRebuilds said. If you need to get data from it there are some free tools. HDClone for example that you can copy files from to an external device. 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

I guess a clean install is the only way. At least I added another HDD so maybe I can install windows on that one.

But guys, I spotted another problem(?)

When I boot up into the bios, the MSI's BIOS would show me the mobo and CPU temperature. even at just bios,

the CPU is at about 45~46. Is that normal for a CPU with 54W of TDP??

and saw it crashing.

clean install :)

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I guess a clean install is the only way. At least I added another HDD so maybe I can install windows on that one.

When I boot up into the bios, the MSI's BIOS would show me the mobo and CPU temperature. even at just bios,

In the bios it may not be getting used USAGE wise however it's prob not declocking yet, and is prob at its non-turbo base clock the entire time.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

If you change chipset you have to do a clean install, no other way around it.