Screw Windows Defender

byalexandr

Okay, Windows Defender is being a moron. What's an antivirus program you guys recommend that doesn't block or false positive everything it sees?

And the reason I'm asking is because I may or may not pirate some things. Don't judge me.

How is Malwarebytes? Is it free?

Malware Bytes is free and great, I actually use Malware Bytes in conjunction with Windows Defender for two layers of security.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Comodo firewall is pretty solid afaik, and the antivirus is the same.

Woo!

Malware Bytes is free and great, I actually use Malware Bytes in conjunction with Windows Defender for two layers of security.

I don't mind Windows Defender, but recently it's been 'overreacting' and blocking simple steam_api files, even if I don't pirate them.

Comodo firewall is pretty solid afaik, and the antivirus is the same.

Downloading Malwarebytes, people seem to recommend it.

I don't mind Windows Defender, but recently it's been 'overreacting' and blocking simple steam_api files, even if I don't pirate them.

You should be able to add exceptions in WD, I have to do that when I use a KMS service.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

You should be able to add exceptions in WD, I have to do that when I use a KMS service.

How? It keeps trying to block these two Steam API files for DiRT Rally.

Edit: Got it. Thanks, that helps a ton!

you want an antivirus + antimalware

use malwarebytes free for antimalware, its the best

for antivirus you can choose AVG free or avast free

they are very good

I recommend you turn off schedules scans, just leave active scanning on

this will use very little system resources but keep your PC from getting infected

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I would use Malwarebytes as my everyday Antivirus but it doesn't have free real-time protection.

I recommend AVG Anti-Virus because it is free, it hasn't caused me any problems and has made every computer in my house secure by using it.

It also has an exceptions list which is perfect for someone who cracks a lot of software.

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

How? It keeps trying to block these two Steam API files for DiRT Rally.

Edit: Got it. Thanks, that helps a ton!

No problem! I still recommend grabbing Maleware Bytes though. :)

I did, I will keep both on my system. Thanks!

you want an antivirus + antimalware

use malwarebytes free for antimalware, its the best

for antivirus you can choose AVG free or avast free

they are very good

I recommend you turn off schedules scans, just leave active scanning on

this will use very little system resources but keep your PC from getting infected

I would use Malwarebytes as my everyday Antivirus but it doesn't have free real-time protection.

I recommend AVG Anti-Virus because it is free, it hasn't caused me any problems and has made every computer in my house secure by using it.

It also has an exceptions list which is perfect for someone who cracks a lot of software.

I got MalwareBytes, but I'll keep using Defender as now I know how to add exceptions.

People still use windows defender?

Anyway go with bitdefender, you wont look back (amazing for gaming and haven't had a problem once with it). It's received antivirus of the year award countless times.

PS: Don't go with Norton, so many false virus!

Might add this later...

Yeah, Malwarebytes is pretty good. I use a vast array of anti-virus, malware and spyware and I always go straight to Malwarebytes because when I got some malware in my PC on its last install, AVG was unable to get the malware out but Malwarebytes got rid of it.

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

Anyway go with bitdefender, you wont look back (amazing for gaming and haven't had a problem once with it). It's received antivirus of the year award countless times.

PS: Don't go with Norton, so many false virus!

I'll just stick with Defender and MalwareBytes.

It's called adding an exemption.

It has nothing to do with "pirating", but rather .api is NOT SOMETHING YOU WOULD WANT TO DOWNLOAD IN THE WILD.

LIKE NO. NEVER. Any AV that doesn't automatically stop that shit literally should NEVER be run because that is a HUGE vulnerability.

The block exists for a reason. If you really don't want to spend the money on a game, at least be willing to add the exemption. It takes like 10 seconds and most links will include instructions on how to do so.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Judging 

favicon.png

DAMMIT

It's called adding an exemption.

It has nothing to do with "pirating", but rather .api is NOT SOMETHING YOU WOULD WANT TO DOWNLOAD IN THE WILD.

LIKE NO. NEVER. Any AV that doesn't automatically stop that shit literally should NEVER be run because that is a HUGE vulnerability.

The block exists for a reason. If you really don't want to spend the money on a game, at least be willing to add the exemption. It takes like 10 seconds and most links will include instructions on how to do so.

I did. You should have read at least a few posts. And I do plan on buying the game.

I don't use anti-virus programs. I only scan with Malwarebytes once in a while just to be sure.

DAMMIT

I did. You should have read at least a few posts. And I do plan on buying the game.

Seriously, this shit exists for a reason. You best not be downloading steam.api unless you are pirating... 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Seriously, this shit exists for a reason. You best not be downloading steam.api unless you are pirating... 

I know.

The only thing I hate about Windows Defender is it males it impossible to move the last file in your Downloaded folder. So you have to turn it off in order to move the file. Only since windows 10 this was a problem.

The only thing I hate about Windows Defender is it males it impossible to move the last file in your Downloaded folder. So you have to turn it off in order to move the file. Only since windows 10 this was a problem.

I've never had this problem.

How is Malwarebytes? Is it free?

Rated. Yes and no.

The stand alone version is free, whilst the real time version costs (various offers etc not withstanding)

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Yup !

I use that as a real time AV and periodically run the free version of Malwarebytes .

Never(fx:touches wood) had a virus in fifteen years.

Used Avast and AVG for a while but all they ever found was tracking cookies and the occasional PUP when I hadn't been awake enough downloading a program, so didn't want to put up with the negatives(splash screens, use of resources etc) for that.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?