EVGA, You Sneaky Lying Bastards!

iamdarkyoshi

Dude... In line Caps, aren't a thing...

You have a fake unit...

Dude... In line Caps, aren't a thing...

You have a fake unit...

they are 100% a thing

my PSU came straight from EVGA and it has them

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Inline caps are all over the place. Even CableMod uses them.

GOD DAMN THAT IS STUPID.

The PSUs I use NEVER have them.

they are 100% a thing

my PSU came straight from EVGA and it has them

WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU USE A PSU THAT HAS THOSE.

And thats why I use CoolerMaster V PSUs, XFX XTR, and Seasonic S12II / Seasonic G.

They are under the heatshrink normally... I never noticed them either until I took mine apart to sleeve them.

Ah, I see.

They are just hanging off the wire when they come out of the PSU (That would be silly).

Ah, I see.

They are just hanging off the wire when they come out of the PSU (That would be silly).

This is why the heatshrink bundle is to fat on the 24 pin. It help quite a bit with ripple, as they are right next to the load, rather than in the PSU alone. 

This is why the heatshrink bundle is to fat on the 24 pin. It help quite a bit with ripple, as they are right next to the load, rather than in the PSU alone. 

I see.

Since I am CompTIA Certified, I have just replaced the PSU, and not actually opened it up (It is a vow you have to take in order to be certified).

I see.

Since I am CompTIA Certified, I have just replaced the PSU, and not actually opened it up (It is a vow you have to take in order to be certified).

Interesting. I had to resist the urge to open my G2, as I open everything else... I guess it paid off too, as I might have to RMA it due to a buzzing noise.

Interesting. I had to resist the urge to open my G2, as I open everything else... I guess it paid off too, as I might have to RMA it due to a buzzing noise.

Yeah.

CompTIA Certifications say:

As a member, you understand that in order to repair hardware with the highest level of satisfaction, you will not attempt to manually replace a broken component.

Now, I know for a fact that isn't verbatim, but I remember reading while I was studying for  my tri-annual retest.

Yeah.

CompTIA Certifications say:

Now, I know for a fact that isn't verbatim, but I remember reading while I was studying for  my tri-annual retest.

I used to work IT, and I totally understand why. Especially in power supplies. 

I used to work IT, and I totally understand why. Especially in power supplies. 

yeah, one slip with a screwdriver and your dead-er than a doornail.

yeah, one slip with a screwdriver and your dead-er than a doornail.

Well not that, I just mean that a repaired PSU is not worth the time and potential safety concerns later. Dink with it, and then the manufacturer will not take responsibility. I have serviced many PSUs :P None of them have had any issues yet. And I know the proper safety for disassembling them.

Well it's meant to use capacitors from Nippon Chemi-Con not sure why your unit uses other sorts of capacitors.

Well it's meant to use capacitors from Nippon Chemi-Con not sure why your unit uses other sorts of capacitors.

The ones inside the PSU are proper japcaps, but the inline cable caps are not.

AFAIK japanese caps are important only if they are electrolytic, polymer caps are quite safe even if chinese ( that's what JonnyGuru says, he's a good source I suppose )

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

These Capxon inline capacitors are actually the reasons that these units have such good ripple, so you guys should be thanking Capxon for providing these units with great ripple. Without it, it'd be similar to the GS series. Anyways, it's only on the cables and nothing too serious to concern about. Seeming as these capacitors handle generally smaller loads than the ones inside the PSU, it shouldn't be a big deal. And besides, it's not the end of the world replacing a cable if something would go wrong. It's a lot better than replacing a whole unit.

Put it this way, even if one of these capacitors does break, ripple will still be great with probably 40mv on the 12V rail and 20 on the 5V and 3.3V rails.

These Capxon inline capacitors are actually the reasons that these units have such good ripple, so you guys should be thanking Capxon for providing these units with great ripple. Without it, it'd be similar to the GS series. Anyways, it's only on the cables and nothing too serious to concern about. Seeming as these capacitors handle generally smaller loads than the ones inside the PSU, it shouldn't be a big deal. And besides, it's not the end of the world replacing a cable if something would go wrong. It's a lot better than replacing a whole unit.

Put it this way, even if one of these capacitors does break, ripple will still be great with probably 40mv on the 12V rail and 20 on the 5V and 3.3V rails.

Good thank you, ordered the EVGA G2 750 and it's coming in in 2 days, this thread was a buzzkill until now.

This is why I said that the caps are not super critical. I do agree that they are still helping the ripple, but it was jut not expected from EVGA to pull something like this :P

• 1 month later...

maybe I can open up my 750w psu

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Thanks for the bump to the top m8 xD

lol I came from the other thread to this one xD

tho from what I can see, my psu seems fine

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

The internal bits are fine, but the cables (not made by superflower) use crapcaps

there's no caps in the cables ? lolwhat