G1 Gaming R9 390 Temps

Scratchy1215

I just upgraded my 280 to my first of two 390s and I'm currently still messing around with settings and what not but so far here's what I'm getting

On furmark burn in test 3440x1440 (resolution screen I'm buying) my temps don't stop rising and I stop it at 94c

In 1920x1080 it gets to around 86 and slowly rises but not to bad

I played the witcher 3 ultra 1080p and it handled it fine, was around 90c though

I plan on getting another g1 390 for crossfire to use with the Acer free sync x34 model but worried another card will worsen the temps

Currently my plan is to find out what I can about these temps, replace the thermal paste of the card and if I don't find a different solution buy a aio and cheaply as possible ans watercool them

Any input or suggestions on this are greatly appreciated

should have researched first 

Gigabyte makes horrible AMD cards, your best bet would be finding a way to get your money back and get a better one. 

Like their temps are so bad I want to shoot myself. Sapphire counterparts barely get over 73ish.

definitely do not buy another G1 unless you're watercooling both. 

I used to be quite active here.

should have researched first

Gigabyte makes horrible AMD cards, your best bet would be finding a way to get your money back and get a better one.

Like their temps are so bad I want to shoot myself. Sapphire counterparts barely get over 73ish.

definitely do not buy another G1 unless you're watercooling both.

Well I want them to match and seen my brothers unlit windforce logo and noticed this one is lit up so bought with my eyes

Man... G1 390... It's not that the 390 is bad or anything but the cooler on that G1 is trash. Worst of the worst. Worst than DCII. Compared to the G1 900 cards. The cooler on the Radeon series is worst than GeForce series, despite the Grenada core desperately needing a better cooler. The reason you're seeing those temps is because the cooler on it is shit.

I'd suggest you to not go with Gigabyte for your second card. If possible, get rid of the one you have now too. The top card will definitely get hotter once you get a second 390.  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Well I want them to match and seen my brothers unlit windforce logo and noticed this one is lit up so bought with my eyes

Again, I would try and return it. Really, looks aren't everything. Just because the logo lights up doesn't mean it's better (again, probably every other cooler will perform better.) So I'd get your money back and buy either a Sapphire (grey,) MSI (red,) XFX (grey,) Or Powercolor (Grey.) Don't get ASUS or Gigabyte Radeon GPUs until they get their shit together. 

You dun' fucked up.

Gigabyte AMD cards are garbage, almost like Gigabyte hand picks the most prestigious scrap metal they can find at the local tip to make the heatsinks.

Atleast if you get another one you can have a PC-Heater hybrid for a few minutes until it catches on fire and burns your house down, then you can be broke, homeless AND another victim of gigabyte!

I'll tell you who make good 390s though....Everyone BUT Gigabyte! (Powercolour is bae)

No but seriously chuck that shit out or water cool it.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Im unsure. Watercooling is definetely a good option to consider. 

Again, I would try and return it. Really, looks aren't everything. Just because the logo lights up doesn't mean it's better (again, probably every other cooler will perform better.) So I'd get your money back and buy either a Sapphire (grey,) MSI (red,) XFX (grey,) Or Powercolor (Grey.) Don't get ASUS or Gigabyte Radeon GPUs until they get their shit together. 

I agree with this person but instead of getting different 390s get a higher end card. If you plan on getting a third 390 that adds up to roughly the same price as a 980 ti or r9 fury. 

I agree with this person but instead of getting different 390s get a higher end card. If you plan on getting a third 390 that adds up to roughly the same price as a 980 ti or r9 fury. 

This ^^^^

Instead of 2 390s, get rid of the one you have now and save up for a Fury (non X) Or a 980ti. 

I want two 390s purely for ultrawide 1440 performance, I went through the 980 to and furys fps in ultrawide 1440p and two 390s beat it by quite a bit so that's why I choose 390s.

Ill honestly probably return this one to amazon and order the sapphire ones or just watercool them as if I do that I can overclocking them both for even bigger gains as idc about fan noise since I already have coil whine that needs fixed but I always have my headset on now anyway

Didn't buy it for looks but as everytime I looked up the difference in coolers in the past there was never really any difference or warnings so I went for the best looking one for me

I want two 390s purely for ultrawide 1440 performance, I went through the 980 to and furys fps in ultrawide 1440p and two 390s beat it by quite a bit so that's why I choose 390s.

Ill honestly probably return this one to amazon and order the sapphire ones or just watercool them as if I do that I can overclocking them both for even bigger gains as idc about fan noise since I already have coil whine that needs fixed but I always have my headset on now anyway

Watercooling them would be a waste since they are volt locked. The G1 will never go past 1100mhz. Full cover water blocks aren't an option since there aren't any for Sapphire, Msi, Gigabyte G1 and Asus Strix. They are only available on PCS+, XFX and Asus DCII. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Watercooling them would be a waste since they are volt locked. The G1 will never go past 1100mhz. Full cover water blocks aren't an option since there aren't any for Sapphire, Msi, Gigabyte G1 and Asus Strix. They are only available on PCS+, XFX and Asus DCII.

Was gonna buy the nzxt aio mod thing and a kraken for each so my vrams would have a fan and my gpu is cooled, but for now I'm gonna reconfirm all my temps and basically redo my fan config to try and keep this card as it is sexy and I hate waiting for ups

Man, i rather return/change that card to different brand like Sapphire/MSI. Even on a single card it already reach 94c.   :wacko:

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

i mean you could return it and buy an msi/sapphire card but if you want gigabyte go get a g1 gaming 970 its fucking awesome ;)

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

Man, i rather return/change that card to different brand like Sapphire/MSI. Even on a single card it already reach 94c. :wacko:

It reached 94 using furmark burn in test and the original 290 ran at 94 as well so as I read more about it I'm not too too worried as I'm sure I'll upgrade gpus within a year again

It reached 94 using furmark burn in test and the original 290 ran at 94 as well so as I read more about it I'm not too too worried as I'm sure I'll upgrade gpus within a year again

If you're ok with an aftermarket cooler to perform as bad as the original reference cooler then i don't have much else to say.

Witcher 3 on Ultra@1080p doesn't really stress the GPU, my card run it at 71c with custom fancurve and my TwinFrozr4 cooler is considered 2nd tier.

Gigabyte card is voltage locked, that mean undervolting is out of the question. AIO/WC/3rd party air cooler is your only viable option right now imo, but i'll only do that if the card is a great overclocker.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

If you're ok with an aftermarket cooler to perform as bad as the original reference cooler then i don't have much else to say.

Witcher 3 on Ultra@1080p doesn't really stress the GPU, my card run it at 71c with custom fancurve and my TwinFrozr4 cooler is considered 2nd tier.

Gigabyte card is voltage locked, that mean undervolting is out of the question. AIO/WC/3rd party air cooler is your only viable option right now imo, but i'll only do that if the card is a great overclocker.

Well I've read that furmark uses max power durring its burn in test giving temps that aren't even useful, when I did 3d mark for example I got up to 78c but it never got a chance to beat up, witcher 3 maxed with every setting heats it up within 5minutes to 80ish and fallout 4 was 60fps max max settings 1080 on my 280 so I wouldn't even look at its results without mods.

Also considering I paid 280$ for the card after deals which I would of spent 50-60$ more on any other brand and I'd have to spend another 20$ to return this one, I'd rather watercool anyway or deal with temps till I upgrade down the road

I'm obviously not happy with these temps and I realise I should of looked into it more, but in reality dealing with the cost and stress of fixing my mistake and returning it just isn't worth it to me as I can tinker with my pc to fix the issue otherwise

Gigabyte 390s are godawful - the cooler doesn't cool neither the VRMs properly nor the VRAM. It's barely capable of cooling down the core and the fan motors are extremely poor quality. The bioses on half the 390s from them are also broken with frequent blue screens or crashes. Return ASAP

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Gigabyte 390s are godawful - the cooler doesn't cool neither the VRMs properly nor the VRAM. It's barely capable of cooling down the core and the fan motors are extremely poor quality. The bioses on half the 390s from them are also broken with frequent blue screens or crashes. Return ASAP

Any source for this? I've been looking up gigabyte 390 cooler reviews and all and I never see anything saying this

Any source for this? I've been looking up gigabyte 390 cooler reviews and all and I never see anything saying this

Look at user reviews on Newegg

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Look at user reviews on Newegg

I looked through amazons and neweggs and it reminds me of every card I've ever looked into, some people get bricks others get beasts and for some reason it would seem newegg has more bricks then amazon

I looked through amazons and neweggs and it reminds me of every card I've ever looked into, some people get bricks others get beasts and for some reason it would seem newegg has more bricks then amazon

Compare those to EVGA's reviews

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/503810-r9-290-windforce/

Compare those to EVGA's reviews

I get its not as good at the other ones but long as its not a brick like the others and long as 94c isn't gonna kill my system, im fine, I also might be missing a newer driver or something software related as I just updated to windows 10

I get its not as good at the other ones but long as its not a brick like the others and long as 94c isn't gonna kill my system, im fine, I also might be missing a newer driver or something software related as I just updated to windows 10

94*C is the max that card is allowed to go and it is in no means good for it's health - it WILL last for a lesser period of time and you ARE 100% guaranteed to have issues sooner than expected because of the crappy cooler