Is Skylake worth the investment?

Okay, I have it on decent authority that I should be getting some extra pocket-cash from family for Christmas. This might not happen, but will probably happen. I should have around a $1000 budget. Hooray.

I like to start shopping and planning ahead though, and I plan on using the money to upgrade my PC. Basically, the only things I'm going to keep from my current build are my case, power supply, and storage.

So the parts that I'm keeping are as follows:

Case: NZXT S340

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2

Storage

I'm currently running an FX 6300 on a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, with 8GBs of RAM, and an R9 270X. I'm looking to replace most of this.

What I'm focusing on right now, is the processor and motherboard. I have a current theoretical build here...

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($144.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB Video Card  ($374.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $901.86

Now, I'm not TOO worried about the GPU. I know for a fact I'm going with AMD. My only question there is whether or not I plan on going ahead and buying a 390x, or if I want to just toss my 270x in the new Intel rig and wait for Fury prices to fall next year. But that's something I'll decide on when I'm closer to spending money.

The biggest question is whether I should spend the money on this sort of "end of the line" current/last-gen build, or if I should invest in the future and plan on investing in LGA 1151 and a Skylake i5. The only issue there is that Skylake seems to be priced quite high right now, though I'm sure the prices will come down in the next couple of months. I admittedly don't know much about Skylake.. I know it requires DDR4, which is obviously more expensive, unless you get a board that also supports DDR3, which is quite rare, really. 

Basically I'm just asking if Skylake is worth it... in many more words.

EDIT: I should probably add, I know i7s aren't an incredible improvement over i5 for gaming, which is what this build would mostly be used for, but I do enjoy other activities, such as web design and some video editing. I'd rather have the hyperthreading than not, and I know the i5s don't have them, but Skylake's i7s are priced re-fucking-diculously high.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Welp. since broadwell-e is coming out haswell-e will be cheaper so do consider the 5820k.

your theoretical build is far superior to a skylake 6600K

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Okay, I have it on decent authority that I should be getting some extra pocket-cash from family for Christmas. This might not happen, but will probably happen. I should have around a $1000 budget. Hooray.

I like to start shopping and planning ahead though, and I plan on using the money to upgrade my PC. Basically, the only things I'm going to keep from my current build are my case, power supply, and storage.

So the parts that I'm keeping are as follows:

Case: NZXT S340

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2

Storage

I'm currently running an FX 6300 on a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, with 8GBs of RAM, and an R9 270X. I'm looking to replace most of this.

What I'm focusing on right now, is the processor and motherboard. I have a current theoretical build here...

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($144.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $901.86

Now, I'm not TOO worried about the GPU. I know for a fact I'm going with AMD. My only question there is whether or not I plan on going ahead and buying a 390x, or if I want to just toss my 270x in the new Intel rig and wait for Fury prices to fall next year. But that's something I'll decide on when I'm closer to spending money.

The biggest question is whether I should spend the money on this sort of "end of the line" current/last-gen build, or if I should invest in the future and plan on investing in LGA 1151 and a Skylake i5. The only issue there is that Skylake seems to be priced quite high right now, though I'm sure the prices will come down in the next couple of months. I admittedly don't know much about Skylake.. I know it requires DDR4, which is obviously more expensive, unless you get a board that also supports DDR3, which is quite rare, really. 

Basically I'm just asking if Skylake is worth it... in many more words.

You live in Ohio, are you near any of the Microcenters? They have the 6700k for $360, or the 6600k for $220. You also save $20 when you pair any of these chips with a motherboard from them. DDR4 is not much more expensive than DDR3. 16GB on average, costs $8 more on DDR4 than it does on DDR3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211905&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($359.99 @ Micro Center) 
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: A-Data XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($68.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $913.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-11 16:45 EST-0500

As you can see, if you have access to a Microcenter, you will end up with pretty much the same cost, but a newer platform.

EDIT: i should also add that Microcenter has the 4790k for $250. If you want to stick with Z97, it is an amazing price.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I'd stick with your Haswell build, it'll be more than good enough for what you're using it for.

The build @MageTank gave is also pretty awesome, provided you can get it.

Why the 390x? IIRC the 390 can OC to basically the same speeds, and they get very, very close results when looking at benchmarks.

Fury isn't worth it IMO.

Something to keep in mind is that you'll need a CPU cooler. It's not in your parts list.

It's been brought up by others, but why no go X99? If you sell your older hardware it's more than within your grasp and you can upgrade to Broadwell-E later on.

Also, if you look for CPU's on Reddit's hardware swap you can get a killer deal. All Intel processors have the same warranty, it just goes by the numbers on the CPU.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

i'm gonna pitch something that may sound a bit backwards, but if you're gonna be buying a new ram kit either way, you might as well upgrade to a DDR4 platform.

something to note tho, i've had a talk with a friend about skylake parts the other day. he's planning on picking one up at a local retailer, but they go out that quickly they're back to "on order" within sometimes less as a day, which makes prices a tad unstabile at times.

if you can pick them up for a decent price, maybe in a deal with mobo and ram it could be a thing to consider.

since you come from AMD, i'm guessing you have a decent cooler on hand, have you considered X99? if you can utilize the extra 2 cores its a significant boost in performance.

while some people have pitched the idea of waiting for the new releases around the corner... well... there'll always be new releases around the corner.

You live in Ohio, are you near any of the Microcenters? They have the 6700k for $360, or the 6600k for $220. You also save $20 when you pair any of these chips with a motherboard from them. DDR4 is not much more expensive than DDR3. 16GB on average, costs $8 more on DDR4 than it does on DDR3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211905&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

As you can see, if you have access to a Microcenter, you will end up with pretty much the same cost, but a newer platform.

EDIT: i should also add that Microcenter has the 4790k for $250. If you want to stick with Z97, it is an amazing price.

Unfortunately, the nearest MicroCenter is over an hour away and my only vehicle is a gas-guzzling SUV.

Also, doesn't CAS latency factor more into memory than simple speed? The more common DDR4 has lower CAS than that particular set and also significantly higher price.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Unfortunately, the nearest MicroCenter is over an hour away and my only vehicle is a gas-guzzling SUV.

Also, doesn't CAS latency factor more into memory than simple speed? The more common DDR4 has lower CAS than that particular set and also significantly higher price.

Yes and No. CAS on DDR4 is loose by nature, simply because its very low voltage (1.2V). I have a kit with CL16 2133mhz, i took it to 3000mhz AND lowered the cas to CL15. All by going up to 1.35V. My current kit however, is CL13 2133mhz, i took it to 3200mhz CL15. You have plenty of headroom to tighten the latency.

Also, games do not really care about latency, not according to my tests. They mostly care about raw bandwidth. Check my signature for more information regarding that.

Yes and No. CAS on DDR4 is loose by nature, simply because its very low voltage (1.2V). I have a kit with CL16 2133mhz, i took it to 3000mhz AND lowered the cas to CL15. All by going up to 1.35V. My current kit however, is CL13 2133mhz, i took it to 3200mhz CL15. You have plenty of headroom to tighten the latency.

Also, games do not really care about latency, not according to my tests. They mostly care about raw bandwidth. Check my signature for more information regarding that.

Not quite. DDR4 ram has higher CAS because it also has higher frequency. Remember, CAS is measured in cycles: even though the number is bigger and therefore "worse", it is offset by the higher clocks, in such manner that the ACTUAL latency is the same and sometimes even lower than DDR3's combinations!

And btw, games don't care about EITHER latency or speed (with a few cherry picked exceptions).

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I'd stick with your Haswell build, it'll be more than good enough for what you're using it for.

The build @MageTank gave is also pretty awesome, provided you can get it.

Why the 390x? IIRC the 390 can OC to basically the same speeds, and they get very, very close results when looking at benchmarks.

Fury isn't worth it IMO.

Something to keep in mind is that you'll need a CPU cooler. It's not in your parts list.

It's been brought up by others, but why no go X99? If you sell your older hardware it's more than within your grasp and you can upgrade to Broadwell-E later on.

Also, if you look for CPU's on Reddit's hardware swap you can get a killer deal. All Intel processors have the same warranty, it just goes by the numbers on the CPU.

I generally don't OC my GPUs. It's never been worth the hassle for me. Also, the 390x isn't terribly more expensive than the standard 390s.

I also have a cooler. A Hyper 212 Evo. Forgot to mention it.

As for selling my current rig, I'm actually going to move it downstairs to replace an old shitty Dell we've hardly been using. I'd like to dump some extra storage in there over time and use it as a sort of HTPC, and something for the kids to play games on.

i'm gonna pitch something that may sound a bit backwards, but if you're gonna be buying a new ram kit either way, you might as well upgrade to a DDR4 platform.

something to note tho, i've had a talk with a friend about skylake parts the other day. he's planning on picking one up at a local retailer, but they go out that quickly they're back to "on order" within sometimes less as a day, which makes prices a tad unstabile at times.

if you can pick them up for a decent price, maybe in a deal with mobo and ram it could be a thing to consider.

since you come from AMD, i'm guessing you have a decent cooler on hand, have you considered X99? if you can utilize the extra 2 cores its a significant boost in performance.

while some people have pitched the idea of waiting for the new releases around the corner... well... there'll always be new releases around the corner.

Yeah, that's the thing. It's always with the waiting.

Also, I've never really looked into X99... ever. Are there any real obvious benefits or is it just the usual "higher numbers = better" deal?

I generally don't OC my GPUs. It's never been worth the hassle for me. Also, the 390x isn't terribly more expensive than the standard 390s.

As for selling my current rig, I'm actually going to move it downstairs to replace an old shitty Dell we've hardly been using. I'd like to dump some extra storage in there over time and use it as a sort of HTPC, and something for the kids to play games on.

Also, I've never really looked into X99... ever. Are there any real obvious benefits or is it just the usual "higher numbers = better" deal?

well.. if you can make use of those higher numbers, they're considerably better (higher numbers being more cores in this case)

well.. if you can make use of those higher numbers, they're considerably better (higher numbers being more cores in this case)

Yeah, probably not. I'll probably never use the extra features of X99, such as the extra memory and multi-GPU "optimization". If it were a lot cheaper than it is, it would be a "why not?" question, but I can't really justify it currently.

Seems I was already on the right track, really. I think I'll pop for the 4790k when I get the money. :)

Thanks, guys.

Not quite. DDR4 ram has higher CAS because it also has higher frequency. Remember, CAS is measured in cycles: even though the number is bigger and therefore "worse", it is offset by the higher clocks, in such manner that the ACTUAL latency is the same and sometimes even lower than DDR3's combinations!

And btw, games don't care about EITHER latency or speed (with a few cherry picked exceptions).

You can still scale the voltage up to 1.65 and reach the same cas latency you would see on DDR3 (CL11, 12, etc). People like Alex or Bullant on HWbot have some very aggressive overclocks doing it. Though, you are correct on that end

However, that last part is simply false. For the past few years, people have been studying the effects of memory speed's impact on gaming performance in situations with high CPU overhead. If you would actually read my signature before completely dismissing the data, you will see the evidence for yourself. Screenshots from my personal testing, Videos from Digital Foundry, and here is a link from OCN where others have been testing it themselves. http://www.overclock.net/t/1487162/an-independent-study-does-the-speed-of-ram-directly-affect-fps-during-high-cpu-overhead-scenarios

Trust me, the performance difference is real. If you do not believe me, test it yourself.

I would wait if I where you but you can get the 390X now and get rest later? :D

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

Yeah, probably not. I'll probably never use the extra features of X99, such as the extra memory and multi-GPU "optimization". If it were a lot cheaper than it is, it would be a "why not?" question, but I can't really justify it currently.

Seems I was already on the right track, really. I think I'll pop for the 4790k when I get the money. :)

Thanks, guys.

It depends entirely on your use case. I'm going X99 with my next build because with Broadwell-E coming, I figure the 10c/20t CPU will easily last me 5 years. Since it's only $125 more than a comparable Z170 build, and extends the life, it made sense to me.

If this is strictly a gaming rig though the 4790k does make sense.

Hassle? It's a few sliders, you just move your mouse back and forth. It's pretty easy.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

You can still scale the voltage up to 1.65 and reach the same cas latency you would see on DDR3 (CL11, 12, etc). People like Alex or Bullant on HWbot have some very aggressive overclocks doing it. Though, you are correct on that end

However, that last part is simply false. For the past few years, people have been studying the effects of memory speed's impact on gaming performance in situations with high CPU overhead. If you would actually read my signature before completely dismissing the data, you will see the evidence for yourself. Screenshots from my personal testing, Videos from Digital Foundry, and here is a link from OCN where others have been testing it themselves. http://www.overclock.net/t/1487162/an-independent-study-does-the-speed-of-ram-directly-affect-fps-during-high-cpu-overhead-scenarios

Trust me, the performance difference is real. If you do not believe me, test it yourself.

Congrats on the cherry pick (and from a forum post). The majority of the tests indicate otherwise, though.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Core i7 6700K, price gouging level: over 9000!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($698.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $698.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-11 18:15 EST-0500

For the price of this 6700K, you get almost 2 5820K! :D

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Congrats on the cherry pick (and from a forum post). The majority of the tests indicate otherwise, though.

And you have yet to provide a counterexample. Congratulations on making such an amazing argument.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Would a video suffice? I can give you a list of my games. I'll even let you pick which memory speeds i run at, along with whichever cas latency you want me to run them. This PANRAM kit is pretty great, so i am certain i can hit anything you specify as long as its within proper limitations of my VCCIO/SA voltages. It's one thing to not believe me (or the others in my post, or Digital Foundry, or several pages of people on OCN) but to not test it yourself while still calling it false? That's just silly, don't you think? 

Unless you have evidence showing otherwise (Don't try to use that LTT video, they completely botched their own test results), then i have to believe what i (and others) have seen with our own eyes. But hey, you could accept my offer, and let me prove it to you. I really don't mind the challenge.

And you have yet to provide a counterexample. Congratulations on making such an amazing argument.

DDR3: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell/7

DDR4: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8959/ddr4-haswell-e-scaling-review-2133-to-3200-with-gskill-corsair-adata-and-crucial/6

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-bandwidth-latency-gaming,3409-6.html

Would a video suffice? I can give you a list of my games. I'll even let you pick which memory speeds i run at, along with whichever cas latency you want me to run them. This PANRAM kit is pretty great, so i am certain i can hit anything you specify as long as its within proper limitations of my VCCIO/SA voltages. It's one thing to not believe me (or the others in my post, or Digital Foundry, or several pages of people on OCN) but to not test it yourself while still calling it false? That's just silly, don't you think?

Sigh.... if I said that I DID tested it myself and reached the conclusion of ram being irrelevant, would that change anything?

Also, I'm not saying the tests are wrong. I'm saying that you chose one of the very few instances where RAM matters (though that tomb raider test is a bit weird, as anandtech's 4 different tests all showed the same numbers).

DDR3: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell/7

DDR4: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8959/ddr4-haswell-e-scaling-review-2133-to-3200-with-gskill-corsair-adata-and-crucial/6

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-bandwidth-latency-gaming,3409-6.html

Sigh.... if I said that I DID tested it myself and reached the conclusion of ram being irrelevant, would that change anything?

Also, I'm not saying the tests are wrong. I'm saying that you chose one of the very few instances where RAM matters (though that tomb raider test is a bit weird, as anandtech's 4 different tests all showed the same numbers).

It would matter to me. It would show me your test methodology, and i would be able to discern whether or not you were in a scenario with high CPU overhead. It would also add more data to a subject that is currently lacking in data. More data is always helpful to everyone. 

Also, i did not cherry pick my tests. I actually ran the rests 3 times, and the results were very consistent. I still have them saved, along with their time stamps if that will help ease your mind. The margin of error within each test was on average, 1fps difference, with the highest difference being 2fps in minimum FPS between tests of the same memory speed. 

If you look at my thread, you also see that i noted absolutely no difference in performance on Metro 2033, and even negative performance on Shadows of Mordor. If i was going to lie about something, i certainly would not have included that data. However, they were the only AAA titles with built in benchmarking tools that i had, so i used them. The data that came from them was going to be used whether it proved my point or not. If memory speed had no impact, i would be saying it didn't. I do not get paid by memory companies, and i certainly do not benefit from telling people one way or the other. I do it because I personally noticed a difference, and because I want to help people get more performance for their dollar. 

I also want to point out that in my results, my ram is not running XMP. I've overclocked my kit thoroughly. From Primary timings all the way down to Tertiary timings. One thing you have to consider when overclocking ram, is that when you go to a higher speed (Say, going from 2133 to 2400mhz) your RTL's and IO-L's have to change with it. When these become looser, you actually LOSE memory bandwidth. For me, 3200mhz CL15-15-15-30-CR1 is faster than 3400mhz CL16-16-16-32-CR1, because with the 3400mhz setup, i cannot lower my RTL's enough to make up for the difference in clock speeds, and my overall bandwidth actually suffers from it. By leaving RTL timings on auto, and switching between XMP profiles in these tests, you are actually running the risk of not improving your bandwidth enough per clock change, and it will skew the results. In my tests, i kept the Tertiary timings as tight as i possibly could at every single speed stepping. Only leaving the Primary and Secondary timings the same. 

Another reason why I would have loved for you to test it, so i could evaluate your testing methodology. All we know so far on this subject, is not every game or hardware configuration will benefit from faster memory. HOWEVER. We know that certain games and hardware scenario's do, and the price difference between 2133mhz DDR4, and 3200mhz DDR4 (8gb kits) are only $10. My personal tests showed an 8% difference in minimum frame rates on average. $10 more for 8% more minimum FPS? That is a worthy investment for me. If it's just a placebo, hey, I am out $10. It'll come in handy if i ever decide to get into heavy compression though, so it's still win-win. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($359.99 @ Micro Center) 
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: A-Data XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($68.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $913.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-11 16:45 EST-0500

good suggestion

BUT

need 32-64GB of memory.

but why?

FOR THE GLORY OF RAMDISK OFC!!!!!!

good suggestion

BUT

need 32-64GB of memory.

but why?

FOR THE GLORY OF RAMDISK OFC!!!!!!

Primocache all the things!

It would matter to me. It would show me your test methodology, and i would be able to discern whether or not you were in a scenario with high CPU overhead. It would also add more data to a subject that is currently lacking in data. More data is always helpful to everyone. 

Also, i did not cherry pick my tests. I actually ran the rests 3 times, and the results were very consistent. I still have them saved, along with their time stamps if that will help ease your mind. The margin of error within each test was on average, 1fps difference, with the highest difference being 2fps in minimum FPS between tests of the same memory speed. 

If you look at my thread, you also see that i noted absolutely no difference in performance on Metro 2033, and even negative performance on Shadows of Mordor. If i was going to lie about something, i certainly would not have included that data. However, they were the only AAA titles with built in benchmarking tools that i had, so i used them. The data that came from them was going to be used whether it proved my point or not. If memory speed had no impact, i would be saying it didn't. I do not get paid by memory companies, and i certainly do not benefit from telling people one way or the other. I do it because I personally noticed a difference, and because I want to help people get more performance for their dollar. 

I was referring to the link you posted, not the one in your sig.

I also want to point out that in my results, my ram is not running XMP. I've overclocked my kit thoroughly. From Primary timings all the way down to Tertiary timings. One thing you have to consider when overclocking ram, is that when you go to a higher speed (Say, going from 2133 to 2400mhz) your RTL's and IO-L's have to change with it. When these become looser, you actually LOSE memory bandwidth. For me, 3200mhz CL15-15-15-30-CR1 is faster than 3400mhz CL16-16-16-32-CR1, because with the 3400mhz setup, i cannot lower my RTL's enough to make up for the difference in clock speeds, and my overall bandwidth actually suffers from it. By leaving RTL timings on auto, and switching between XMP profiles in these tests, you are actually running the risk of not improving your bandwidth enough per clock change, and it will skew the results. In my tests, i kept the Tertiary timings as tight as i possibly could at every single speed stepping. Only leaving the Primary and Secondary timings the same

Oh, ffs, 2nd and 3rd timings? Really??? Sure, if you are going to go THAT deep on tweaking, go ahead and get the most ballz to the wallz hardware you can.

But for the other 99% of the people, that is NOT a representative test. Just like benchmarks aren't accurate reproductions of real world games, playing with anything over primary timings is NOT a good representation of the auto settings.

Another reason why I would have loved for you to test it, so i could evaluate your testing methodology. All we know so far on this subject, is not every game or hardware configuration will benefit from faster memory. HOWEVER. We know that certain games and hardware scenario's do, and the price difference between 2133mhz DDR4, and 3200mhz DDR4 (8gb kits) are only $10. My personal tests showed an 8% difference in minimum frame rates on average. $10 more for 8% more minimum FPS? That is a worthy investment for me. If it's just a placebo, hey, I am out $10. It'll come in handy if i ever decide to get into heavy compression though, so it's still win-win. 

Do you want a consistent methodology or a real world one (with stuff like antivirus, music, skype, and other things that would be what would actually happen for everyone else, but completely screw up with results)?

Personally, I vote for the second, but I'm pretty sure I'm a minority here.