Whoa, wait a minute. Time to RMA my EVGA Supernova G2?

iamdarkyoshi

So my trusty EVGA Supernova G2 has started buzzing at what mainly sounds like 60hz with various other frequencies. It sounds like the noise you get from crap quality switchmode supplies, which the G2 certainly is not. It is the 750W PSU, and my system is far lower than 750W, even while folding. It is audible even over my music, pump, 7 fans, and HDD (while folding at full power)

It is not super loud, but I can hear it and I do not like it. It might have been doing this for quite a while now, but I would have not noticed it because it had been on the floor until now. I have listened to the GPU, pump, HDD, and motherboard, and the noise is definitely coming from the PSU.

It still makes the noise when I stop F@H. The noise does not change. I have tried fanless mode to see if it was the fan, and this is not the case. I have had this supply for several years, and I think I have a 10 year warranty on it. Should I RMA it? Do they require the cables to be sent as well? Because I have modified some of my sata cables...

RMA

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

RMA it, EVGA will take it and do you good

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

does it run hot while in operation?

if not, rma that thing.

EDIT: with hot i mean "i should probably give it more airflow" hot.

I don't know if it can be called a defect, but you can certainly call EVGA to see what they say. Buzzing is not necessarily a cause for alarm. Annoying, yes, but may not be anything that needs to be taken care of.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

does it run hot while in operation?

if not, rma that thing.

EDIT: with hot i mean "i should probably give it more airflow" hot.

I would say it probably runs between 30-40 degrees. It sucks air from the bottom of my arc mini case. The air coming out of it is really not very warm.

---SNIP---

I have had this supply for several years, and I think I have a 10 year warranty on it. Should I RMA it? Do they require the cables to be sent as well? Because I have modified some of my sata cables...

I would at least email or call them with your concerns. If a power supply of mine suddenly started acting up, I'd definitely want to let the manufacturer know before it burns my house down like that guy with the DELL XPS Desktop a few years back. (Kidding, there was a lot of controversy over that, and I still don't know who's fault it really was.)

As for your custom cables, I would mention that in the email or phone call, as I've seen other people RMA'ing power supplies from EVGA, Corsair, and Silverstone not always have to send their cables back to the manufacturer if they're not the problem. Even then, EVGA will take care of you; it's why they offer such crazy warranties on things in the industry.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Honestly, if something is wrong with your PSU send it the fuck in immediately.

If that thing were to have a catastrophic failure, it could take your hardware with it. EVGA has awesome support, just contact them.

Specs:

Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz cooled by Corsair H80i | ASUS Maximus VII Formula |  G.Skill 8 GB (2 x 4GB) 2133 | EVGA 980 Superclocked (Fry) | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro OS Drive | WD Black HDD | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | Corsair Vengeance K70 | Logitech G502 Proteus Core

lol @ AMD 8350

That is what I was thinking, as I have worked with electronics long enough :P

Oh btw:

232ee52f8ff383bab7c35c568baace371.png

Specs:

Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz cooled by Corsair H80i | ASUS Maximus VII Formula |  G.Skill 8 GB (2 x 4GB) 2133 | EVGA 980 Superclocked (Fry) | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro OS Drive | WD Black HDD | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | Corsair Vengeance K70 | Logitech G502 Proteus Core

lol @ AMD 8350