1st time user of SSD

koji

I've installed my OS on SSD and the drivers and some of the apps I need like browser, Razer Synapse, Steam.

What are the things that I should install on HDD instead of SSD?

I know media files should be stored on HDD. I also know that the apps I often use should be on SSD.

I just wonder which apps I should install on HDD instead of SSD. Thanks!

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X | MOBO: Gigabyte B550 Vision D | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision D | PSU: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W

Just throw your Steam, Origin, and UPlay (if you use it) folders on the HDD as well as any games that you use that aren't through any of them. I did it with my rig and it seems to be fine (you know, because 500GB of games and crap doesn't fit on a single 250GB SSD :P).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Basically, install OS and any games and programs that you use a lot on your SSD. Put everything else on the HDD. 

I say, put high use programs that read and write a lot should be stored on the HDD along with games. I know it seems to defeat the purpose of a SSD but with programs that access a lot of shit from install folder would shorten the read write cycle of the SSD. Take my advice with a grain of salt because I haven't used an SSD fully yet.

Brah, do you even Java?

I use my HDD for games and music. That's it. 

But I use my extra SSD for games, too :) 

I used to be quite active here.

I install all my games on my other HDD, any other programs go on the SSD for speed. 

|CPU| i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz |Motherboard| Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI HERO |RAM| Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866MHz |GPU| EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB

|HD| 256GB SSD 850 PRO |Sound| Creative Sound Blaster Z High Performance |Case| NZXT Phantom 410 |OS| Windows 10 x64

Just throw your Steam, Origin, and UPlay (if you use it) folders on the HDD as well as any games that you use that aren't through any of them. I did it with my rig and it seems to be fine (you know, because 500GB of games and crap doesn't fit on a single 250GB SSD :P).

You can still install steam itself on the SSD but then point the download towards a folder on ur HDD (I did it that way)

And yea basically things you use often/games you play a lot, you should install on ur SSD.

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

I recommend placing all games, media and programs on your mass storage hard drive. However, any programs which are required for boot-up should be on the SSD, and directories such as the Desktop folder should be on the SSD. It's up to personal preference, but I find this to be the best way to maximise SSD space (unless you have a giant 500 GB or 1 TB SSD of which I am jealous).

You can still install steam itself on the SSD but then point the download towards a folder on ur HDD (I did it that way)

That's what I said...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

So I should transfer steam to HDD? I wanted to CS:GO and Dota2 to boot-up fast tho..

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X | MOBO: Gigabyte B550 Vision D | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision D | PSU: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W

And yea basically things you use often/games you play a lot, you should install on ur SSD.

I have too installed Steam onto the SSD and pointed the download folder to my HDD. Speeds up the time for Steam to open by a tonne.

Thank you guy for a lot of response I am reading it all and I really appreciate it.

So I should transfer steam to HDD? I wanted to CS:GO and Dota2 to boot-up fast tho..

Keep Steam on the SSD and put CS:GO and Dota 2 onto the HDD. Unless you really are desperate, you're better off saving the SSD space for other stuff (keeping in mind that as a SSD gets closer to getting completely full (80%+) it slows down.

For me, personally, I installed my OS on a 200gb partition of my SSD and then installed most of the games I play (including Steam and Origin) on the rest of the SSD. As of now, I only have 80gb left on the game partition of the SSD. Other immediate programs sch as CS6, Sony Vegas... etc. I still install on my OS partition. Other stuff such as CS GO I installed on my HDD

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

That's what I said...

You said to throw steam, uplay etc on HDD, not to install steam on SSD and point downloads towards HDD. 

Nah, downlaod steam on your SSD, then point the download location to your HDD. And if you want to have a game on your SSD, just go into the settings again to point it to a folder on your SSD.

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

OS+main software/games you have on SSD. Store documents and non-essential/bundled games on HDD. Easy setup is like 250gb SSD + 4tb HDD.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

CS:GO loads fast on an HDD, and even DOTA should. I mean, LoL loads pretty fast... And FC3... And pretty much everything else I have crammed on that drive.

You said to throw steam, uplay etc on HDD, not to install steam on SSD and point downloads towards HDD. 

Nah, downlaod steam on your SSD, then point the download location to your HDD. And if you want to have a game on your SSD, just go into the settings again to point it to a folder on your SSD.

Their FOLDERS. You know, those things they put the games in.

Just throw your Steam, Origin, and UPlay (if you use it) folders on the HDD as well as any games that you use that aren't through any of them.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Depends on the size of the SSD. if you got a Tb of HDD put in whatever you want to in that

So which games benefits being placed on SSD?

Steam allows you to set up installation folders on any drive you want. Since there isn't much benefit in having the Steam client app itself launching from an SSD, you can just install Steam to your HDD. And then when you begin to install Dota 2 and CS:GO, create an install directory on the SSD.

If it's a major inconvenience to reinstall Steam at this point, just leave it. It doesn't take up much space.

So which games benefits being placed on SSD?

There isn't really a hard rule to follow for this. If you know a certain game often made you wait awhile when loading, try it on the SSD. If another game always loads quickly on an HDD, then it probably won't improve much by being on an SSD.

Generally Windows and storage-intensive desktop applications gain the most from being on an SSD. Games can be kind of marginal.