McAfee or Norton

DominicNikon

what are your guys thoughts on McAfee or Norton anti virus? and witch one you think is better and why?

Windows Defender :))

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Symantec

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Anti virus Barley does anything. Just get Malware bytes. Anti Virus only catches about 15% of what is out there. Proven time and time again that they barley do much anymore because of how advanced some of these things are

McAfee but I dislike both of them, at least McAfee seems to work though, every computer that I've had norton on had to be reset or wiped as it is basically like having not protection

Mcafee on the other hand thinks all non windows exe files are viruses, which as you can imagine is a problem

So I vote MSE

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Avast + Malwarebytes does it for me. No need to spend money on any of that.

Both are specifically designed to steal money from ignorant old people so...

I wouldn't say ignorance plays a factor. Rather uneducated and uninformed.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I wouldn't say ignorance plays a factor. Rather uneducated and uninformed.

eeeh.. not to be that person but... ignorance is not knowing, so being uneducated and uninformed would be ignorance :P something that can be fixed by learning about the subject of the ignorance. being educated and informed ^^

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

what are your guys thoughts on McAfee or Norton anti virus? and witch one you think is better and why?

I think McAfee is trash I got a year free some years ago and I installed it and the UI crashed immediately after install it wouldn't work at all...

I think bitdefender/kaspersky and Norton are the best I use Norton because I'm used to it and I really like the UI the other 2 I mentioned are annoying...

What do you guys use?

EDIT: I never used it after that so saying that it is trash is a bit hard...

Definitely neither.

I use Avira + MBAM.

The Cheap SFF Wonder -- Turning a Core 2 Duo SFF machine into a useful member of computer society!

i5 3570 -- AS.Rock Z77 Pro3 -- 12GB DDR3 -- R9 380X -- 840Evo 500GB/1TB HDD 

I speak the honest truth with a bit of snark mixed in. I'm sorry if it doesn't line up with your beliefs.

They both are horrible. 90% should be your head, and malwarebytes.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

I use Norton and I love it. With a plan that covers all of my devices, it does what it needs to do.

"What're you supposed to be? A clown or something?"

"...Sometimes."

eeeh.. not to be that person but... ignorance is not knowing, so being uneducated and uninformed would be ignorance :P something that can be fixed by learning about the subject of the ignorance. being educated and informed ^^

I beg to differ. Calling someone ignorant is used mostly in today's culture as an insult, where saying someone isn't educated or informed is more of a, well, true statement.

I call people ignorant if they have the means and know how to educate themselves on a subject but choose not to. I call people uneducated and uninformed if they simply don't know how or don't have the means to educate themselves, to put it simply.

Under your reasoning, are children that haven't started school and don't know basic history, or math, or how to spell because that point hasn't come in their lives ignorant?

Привет товарищ ))))

I keep getting activation issues with Mcafee but at least it removes the viruses, unlike Norton

I beg to differ. Calling someone ignorant is used mostly in today's culture as an insult, where saying someone isn't educated or informed is more of a, well, true statement.

I call people ignorant if they have the means and know how to educate themselves on a subject but choose not to. I call people uneducated and uninformed if they simply don't know how or don't have the means to educate themselves, to put it simply.

Under your reasoning, are children that haven't started school and don't know basic history, or math, or how to spell because that point hasn't come in their lives ignorant?

yes they are, they just arent necessarily stupid :) , because i try to actually use the correct meanings, while sure more people if not most use ignorant the wrong way doesnt mean i have to be ignorant and do as they do :P

yes they are, they just arent necessarily stupid :) , because i try to actually use the correct meanings, while sure more people if not most use ignorant the wrong way doesnt mean i have to be ignorant and do as they do :P

Okay. I'm not getting into a pissing contest with you over something so God damned stupid.

Привет товарищ ))))

Okay. I'm not getting into a pissing contest with you over something so God damned stupid.

Hahaha, true :P but aslong as both sides are having fun its all good :)

I use Norton (360 before, but now it's Norton Security) myself and haven't had any issues with it for the past 6 years. Yeah, I know you can get by with common sense and MSE or Avast, but I prefer having that safety net.