Norton hate

Principis

So I really like to know why so much people hate Norton? I have seriously no idea.

It used to be real shit and no one plans to give them a second chance because this isn't kindergarten. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

So I really like to know why so much people hate Norton? I have seriously no idea.

Because it is malware essentially, it doesn't protect you computer from much of anything while using computer resources such as ram

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Not sure if this thread will get locked but I will give you reasons why from other people's experiences

-Outdated AV or just bad detection compared to the better paid or free ones out there

-False positives

-Customer service is fairly bad

Anyway I can't picture anyone using it today

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

It's on par with McAfee for antivirus software that is primarily malware that tricks you into spending money.

Because it spams you with bullshit notifications about shit you don't care about and things they want you to buy.

HEY I SEE YOU BOUGHT NORTON FROM US WANNA BUY MORE SHIT? PLEASE? NO? OKAY I'LL ASK AGAINST TOMMOROW

It just ate resources back in those DDR2/DDR3 launch days. I haven't used it since. Plus, just like McAfee, it was more a *free pre-installed program that would pester you for money as the license neared its end. I would say it was bloatware.

CPU: i7 4770K  |  Corsair H80i  |  ASUS Z87-Pro  |  8GB Corsair 1866Mhz  |  GPU: MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB  |  Corsair HX  750

The older versions of Norton Anti-virus were incredibly bad. They were resource hogs, buggy, and incredibly hard to uninstall (Just uninstalling from the control panel would leave large amounts of the software behind, causing more issues).

However, all of that changed when they released their newer versions. Norton 360, and Norton AV from about, oh, 2011-onward, have been very solid products. They don't consume resources in overabundance. They also tend to score quite highly on the independent AV reviews.

Most Norton hate is nostalgia from the late 90's/early-mid 2000's.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It was probably good back then but everyone I know including myself uses either avira or avast I won't ever touch Norton it comes in mobo driver discs even if it installs itself I uninstall and leave no trace of it

Back in the day it was good but now just spams you. AVG is no better now a days.

Because it is malware essentially, it doesn't protect you computer from much of anything while using computer resources such as ram

Not sure if this thread will get locked but I will give you reasons why from other people's experiences

-Outdated AV or just bad detection compared to the better paid or free ones out there

-False positives

-Customer service is fairly bad

Anyway I can't picture anyone using it today

It's on par with McAfee for antivirus software that is primarily malware that tricks you into spending money.

Almost all of your concerns haven't been an issue in like 4-5 years. It's not malware. It's detection rates are comparable to most of the top free and paid AV out there, including false positives as well as actual detections. It's resource usage is far far better than it used to be, and is now not bad at all.

Cannot comment on customer service. I've never used consumer AV customer service before (Only enterprise grade customer service), so I have no knowledge on it.

it also doesn't trick you into spending money. Even most of the free AV are worse now, constantly prompting you to upgrade to their "premium" service (AVG, you are by far the worst offender, but even Avast is getting bad too). If you apply common sense, you'll never spend money through Norton without your knowledge and permission. It does bug you to renew when it nears expiring, but that's common of every paid AV.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Norton AV used to be absolutely horrible. It absolutely ate resources, ran extremely slowly, was very expensive.

Most of that has changed though since probably 2010-2011ish. Norton did a complete rebuild from the ground up on there software and honestly it runs pretty lean and quick now. It also has some of the best detection as reviewed by many independents. However it is still expensive.

Products like Avast can give you basic protection for free, and that is all most people need. The more advanced features many products still beat them on price point.

Most of the hate you will see is from people who used it in the 90's and 00's when it sucked and haven't given it a chance from in the 10's.

McAfee is really bad...

What would you guys say the best Anitvirus is?

I personally use ESET Smart Security. I have been using it for close to 10 years now and have had no issues with it.

Personally i just use avast and malwarebyte... both are free but its worth a the few buck to buy them to get extra stuff and help support them as they are probably some of the best programs out there

I use Avast free.

Back in the day it was good but now just spams you. AVG is no better now a days.

Back in what day? Historically, Norton used to be utter shit. In the Windows 98/XP days, it was probably one of the worst AV's you could possibly use, due to the bugs and resource hogging. Now a days, it's decently solid though.

AVG is by far worse than Norton, at this point. AVG used to be a decent alternative in the XP days, but they've gone so far downhill as to hit rock bottom.

Norton AV used to be absolutely horrible. It absolutely ate resources, ran extremely slowly, was very expensive.

Most of that has changed though since probably 2010-2011ish. Norton did a complete rebuild from the ground up on there software and honestly it runs pretty lean and quick now. It also has some of the best detection as reviewed by many independents. However it is still expensive.

Products like Avast can give you basic protection for free, and that is all most people need. The more advanced features many products still beat them on price point.

Most of the hate you will see is from people who used it in the 90's and 00's when it sucked and haven't given it a chance from in the 10's.

I'm using it since 2011 and I really like it

Norton or mcafee people just like one better or not 

I dislike both equally, bad experiences.

Personally, I like Kespersky, not had a problem with it, that's if I feel like buying anti-virus software, otherwise I use Avast.

There is no one "best" AV. Every month, every quarter, and every year, the independent AV reviewers find that one AV got a little better, another got a little worse, a third stayed the same, etc. it's a constantly changing game.

There are of course some favourites. Kaspersky is one of the more preferred "Paid for" AV's. ESET does well. Lots of people like Avira for the free AV. AVG and Avast used to be fan favourites by all techs, but both have gone down hill. AVG especially. It's so bad with bugging you to upgrade, and it doesn't do as well in the tests as it used to. Even Avast Free Edition isn't as good as it used to be.

I personally use Kaspersky + MalwareBytes (Good as a backup, but doesn't detect viruses in the same way, and thus can miss stuff that your regular AV will catch) usually. Or Windows Defender (Windows 8.1/10)/Microsoft Security Center (Windows 7) + MalwareBytes. Though Windows Defender sometimes does pretty poorly in the tests.

Almost all of your concerns haven't been an issue in like 4-5 years. It's not malware. It's detection rates are comparable to most of the top free and paid AV out there, including false positives as well as actual 

I haven't used it since xp (and just assumed they still suck), either way and once a company screws me I try to hurt their business however I can, in this case I tell people my experience with it.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful