Norton hate

Principis

Almost all of your concerns haven't been an issue in like 4-5 years. It's not malware. It's detection rates are comparable to most of the top free and paid AV out there, including false positives as well as actual detections. It's resource usage is far far better than it used to be, and is now not bad at all.

Cannot comment on customer service. I've never used consumer AV customer service before (Only enterprise grade customer service), so I have no knowledge on it.

it also doesn't trick you into spending money. Even most of the free AV are worse now, constantly prompting you to upgrade to their "premium" service (AVG, you are by far the worst offender, but even Avast is getting bad too). If you apply common sense, you'll never spend money through Norton without your knowledge and permission. It does bug you to renew when it nears expiring, but that's common of every paid AV.

As someone who has been using for years now, the only time I've ever seen a prompt to upgrade to their premium service was/is on initial setup. So, as a genuine question, where are you seeing these purchase prompts? I know if you attempt to use some of the "premium" features from within the controller, they do encourage you to buy it, however all said and done, it just quietly runs in the background otherwise. I've never seen a single un-prompted purchase ad.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

If you have it installed, but not activated, it's literally adware. It give your CONSTANT popups, and spams you telling you to buy a subscription, and your PC is "At Risk". It's extremely intrusive, and not lightweight at all.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Because it spams you with bullshit notifications about shit you don't care about and things they want you to buy.

HEY I SEE YOU BOUGHT NORTON FROM US WANNA BUY MORE SHIT? PLEASE? NO? OKAY I'LL ASK AGAINST TOMMOROW

Wtf? I never had a single notification for some stuff to buy... Only when my subscription is only 30 days or when I get a free upgrade to the newest version...

If you have it installed, but not activated, it's literally adware. It give your CONSTANT popups, and spams you telling you to buy a subscription, and your PC is "At Risk". It's extremely intrusive, and not lightweight at all.

Off course it does that otherwise a lot of people think their PC is protected but isn't at all. Why would you have it if it isn't activated? That's just stupid...

As someone who has been using for years now, the only time I've ever seen a prompt to upgrade to their premium service was/is on initial setup. So, as a genuine question, where are you seeing these purchase prompts? I know if you attempt to use some of the "premium" features from within the controller, they do encourage you to buy it, however all said and done, it just quietly runs in the background otherwise. I've never seen a single un-prompted purchase ad.

If you have notifications enabled on Avast free, it will periodically spam you with notifications to upgrade, sometimes interrupting a game, but I believe you can just disable notifications. Not used Avast in a while, I'm in a Kespersky phase again! When I look at reviews, it's always somewhere around the top and often, there's somewhere selling it at a reasonable price.

At my previous job, we had AVG installed on every single computer in the office (Not that many, but around 8 or so), and it would constantly produce popup prompts in the system tray advertising a sale on Premium, or asking to upgrade. It also wouldn't matter if we dismissed the ads or what settings we set. The ads would always come back.

I've had nothing but grief with AVG, and it was always kept up to date as well.

Edit: Woops thought you were talking about AVG, not Avast.

Yes, in Avast it'll still periodically spam you, but as @SometimesStuff mentioned, I do believe you can disable it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Off course it does that otherwise a lot of people think their PC is protected but isn't at all. Why would you have it if it isn't activated? That's just stupid...

Because it was on an old PC that wasn't mine, and nobody had uninstalled it.

It's not stupid, on your task bar it already shows it's deactivated, and they email you, dozens of popups a day spamming "YOUR PC IS AT RISK, BUY NORTON TODAY FOR YOUR SAFETY" is malware.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

It's not stupid, on your task bar it already shows it's deactivated, and they email you, dozens of popups a day spamming "YOUR PC IS AT RISK, BUY NORTON TODAY FOR YOUR SAFETY" is malware.

Lol try the uninstall button? :)

Lol try the uninstall button? :)

Like I said above, it wasn't on my PC. I've never owned Norton on my own PC, and I'm not going to willy nilly and fucking uninstall things on someones computer.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

At my previous job, we had AVG installed on every single computer in the office (Not that many, but around 8 or so), and it would constantly produce popup prompts in the system tray advertising a sale on Premium, or asking to upgrade. It also wouldn't matter if we dismissed the ads or what settings we set. The ads would always come back.

I've had nothing but grief with AVG, and it was always kept up to date as well.

Edit: Woops thought you were talking about AVG, not Avast.

Yes, in Avast it'll still periodically spam you, but as @SometimesStuff mentioned, I do believe you can disable it.

Yes AVG is trash...

And Avast is pretty good as a free antivirus but it's more expensive than Norton if you want to pay for it.

The only thing I hate about Norton is ws.reputation1 it's so annoying! (But you can disable the signature)

Like I said above, it wasn't on my PC. I've never owned Norton on my own PC, and I'm not going to willy nilly and fucking uninstall things on someones computer.

Ok I understand

that someone must be really weird if he/she doesn't listen to these emails and popups...

An AV that isn't activated is far more dangerous than no AV at all. It gives the user a false sense of security.

I don't know how many customers I had that had viruses because their AV was expired. They just ignored the prompts, disabled them, or in the case of programs that didn't prompt you, simply forgot about it.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Ok I understand

that someone must be really weird if he/she doesn't listen to these emails and popups...

Dude, it was only there for like a day or two, and not only does that not matter, it doesn't take away from the fact that it's an all around garbage, waste of money program.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

no av is the best AV if you know what are you doing, also linux is pretty safe, but thats another story

The site has changed....

An AV that isn't activated is far more dangerous than no AV at all. It gives the user a false sense of security.

I don't know how many customers I had that had viruses because their AV was expired. They just ignored the prompts, disabled them, or in the case of programs that didn't prompt you, simply forgot about it.

This is fucking irrelevant. It was my dads computer, who isn't PC illiterate, he just makes bad decisions from time to time. The second it popped it it wasn't renewed. It was ignored for like a weekend. And I don't see why people are  jumping on this. Norton is still a horrible program ffs.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

no av is the best AV if you know what are you doing, also linux is pretty safe, but thats another story

With modern Malware, no AV is actually not the best. Common sense can no longer protect you. You can become infected without any symptoms at all. You can avoid all the dark places on the net, only to visit a trusted website that has been compromised, and boom, you're done for.

In my personal opinion, everyone should have AV installed.

Linux, while safer, isn't immune to viruses and malware. One of the biggest reasons is the lack of desktop users. But it does have some good inherent security on it, I'll give it that.

This is what I always try to say. Just use your head. I've never had a virus or malware on my own rig. The only time I did was on an old laptop, when I didn't give a shit and was downloading butt loads of movies, I wrecked the thing with adware and shit, and had to reinstall windows, but there, I wasn't smart. On my main PC (which I give a shit about), I have had ZERO issues, and the majority of the time I've had this rig, I've had either no AV, or purely malwareantibytes.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

This is fucking irrelevant. It was my dads computer, who isn't PC illiterate, he just makes bad decisions from time to time. The second it popped it it wasn't renewed. It was ignored for like a weekend. And I don't see why people are  jumping on this. Norton is still a horrible program ffs.

But it's not still a horrible program. Since the 2010-2011 days, it's been just as solid as any other AV program. It does well in independent testing, and isn't a resource hog.

And it's not irrelevant. An AV program that doesn't bug you that it's expired/not activated/out of date, is an AV program that isn't doing it's job.

If it's expired, and you no longer wish to use it, then it should be uninstalled and replaced with something else immediately.

You seem to be getting upset about this.

With modern Malware, no AV is actually not the best. Common sense can no longer protect you. You can become infected without any symptoms at all. You can avoid all the dark places on the net, only to visit a trusted website that has been compromised, and boom, you're done for.

In my personal opinion, everyone should have AV installed.

Linux, while safer, isn't immune to viruses and malware. One of the biggest reasons is the lack of desktop users. But it does have some good inherent security on it, I'll give it that.

well, i used to have nod32 back in the days, but i havent used an AV since 2009. i simple can recognise when a site/download/file is malicious/suspicious

or not, given that i have made many mistakes before that (had to format once, and retrieve a pass for my steam account using purchace receipts a long time ago) , and i have learnt from that. i use a registry cleaner/ adw cleaners and other stuff to clean my pc pretty regulary just in cause, but most of the times i find no issues at all.

The site has changed....

But it's not still a horrible program. Since the 2010-2011 days, it's been just as solid as any other AV program. It does well in independent testing, and isn't a resource hog.

And it's not irrelevant. An AV program that doesn't bug you that it's expired/not activated/out of date, is an AV program that isn't doing it's job.

If it's expired, and you no longer wish to use it, then it should be uninstalled and replaced with something else immediately.

You seem to be getting upset about this.

In my opinion it is. It's on every PC in my house aside from my own. I find it very intrusive, expensive, and not that great. I don't like it at all.

I'm aware that an inactive AV isn't good, no shit bud. But that wasn't what I was talking about. I was talking about the literal spamming of messages across my screen, as well as emails, as well as a big red "X" over it in my task bar is too much. Tell me, now I know. But telling me in big boxes every 15 minutes that involve multiple clicks to close, is ridiculous. 

Like I've said several times, It was NOT MY PC. Therefor I wasn't going to be touching anything that wasn't directly mine. So if no one else was using the PC for a few days, the popups were going to come. Like really, that's all there is too it.

And I'm not upset, I'm just starting to get annoyed that people are constantly replying to me over shit that A) I had no control over, B) A message that was only there for a few days, and C) In the big scheme of things, doesn't really matter.

Not having AV isn't a big of a deal as people make it out to be. Everyone acts that if you don't have AV activated every second of every day you're goin to get a crypto virus that is going to ruin your life.

Fact is, I've used my PC for well over a year, and visited 10s of thousands of sights WITHOUT AV, and I've had 0 issues.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Almost all of your concerns haven't been an issue in like 4-5 years. It's not malware. It's detection rates are comparable to most of the top free and paid AV out there, including false positives as well as actual detections. It's resource usage is far far better than it used to be, and is now not bad at all.

Cannot comment on customer service. I've never used consumer AV customer service before (Only enterprise grade customer service), so I have no knowledge on it.

it also doesn't trick you into spending money. Even most of the free AV are worse now, constantly prompting you to upgrade to their "premium" service (AVG, you are by far the worst offender, but even Avast is getting bad too). If you apply common sense, you'll never spend money through Norton without your knowledge and permission. It does bug you to renew when it nears expiring, but that's common of every paid AV.

The reasons I listed was simply from other people not me...I used it once a long time ago and I believe that today there are much better AV's than norton but hey that's coming from an opinion not a fact

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

So I really like to know why so much people hate Norton? I have seriously no idea.

Ever used Backup Exec?

Real reason is this: Their products are average and support is average on a good day. when you have other products on the market that are not shit, you call the average programs shit and the shit programs you don't even acknowledge their existence.

Ever used Backup Exec?

Real reason is this: Their products are average and support is average on a good day. when you have other products on the market that are not shit, you call the average programs shit and the shit programs you don't even acknowledge their existence.

Nope and I never had to use their support.

I had to use Symantec support for our endpoint AV and they were really nice :)

I think it's just based on anyone's preference (this sentence is shit... Can't make it better though)