thoughts on photos?

The photos are... eh.

The quality of the saturation and light levels are solid. A little heavy on the people walking around, they're a bit too dark; but its hard to compensate for that while retaining the look of the terrain.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

The photos are... eh.

The quality of the saturation and light levels are solid. A little heavy on the people walking around, they're a bit too dark; but its hard to compensate for that while retaining the look of the terrain.

ok

you should put the RAW files on here so people can have a go

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

snip

In the words of a great photographer:

“Photography for me is not looking, it's feeling. If you can't feel what you're looking at, then you're never going to get others to feel anything when they look at your pictures.” - Don McCullin

To me your photos are holiday photos.  Nothing more can be said.  Come back when you've taken a photo that tells a story or shows something that conveys an emotion.  Humor, intrigue, curiosity, rage, love, hate, etc.

9219653295_420738df9a.jpgDevotion (BW version) by Aung Lwin, on Flickr

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Snip

Couldn't agree more. Your photos doesn't exactly convey a story, and I can't really see much artistically interesting about them either. 

however conveying strong emotion or making artistically unique and interesting photos are quite difficult to accomplish, there are tons of so called "pros" out there who make a living on photography but can't convey emotions or tell stories with shit with their pictures, so don't be hard on yourself. 

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

what do you guys think of the photos? im doing them with light room

To add to the good feedback above.

It depends on what you are trying to do. There are a million and two pictures like those you posted. They are great for memories when you and the fam wanna sit on the couch at a reunion and remember that time you were in DC. They are great snapshots. Exposure is fine, color, etc. 

They are not great photographs capturing a moment, story, etc.

Heres what I, personally, would have tried in this situation (maybe...). 

Ftxbp46.png

See that guy? Walk over there and take a picture of him. Use composition rules to place his face in an interesting part of the frame. Maybe keep the Monument in the background (so, use a small enough aperture so you can make out what it is). Maybe get lower and use the edge of the concrete slab he is sitting on to lead your eyes to him. If he's interesting enough, forget the monument. That pillar he is leaning against is kinda cool in itself. A nice blown out background/portrait may have been more interesting. 

If you waited a few more hours for lighting to not 100% suck, that would also help turn these into at least more interesting photos. In that case, you could have walked down to the water and taken a shot directly of the monument, and it would have looked better. But in broad mid-day sun, taking pictures of people within the context of the monument in the background would be much more interesting than the monument itself (in my mind). 

But again, there have been millions of the exact same photo taken - so something needs to be done, artfully a creatively, to make them a little different. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200