MSI LIGHTNING 980 ti fans not turning on.... ever

Muhny

Got myself the 980 ti on black friday and it just arrived. i installed it and did all the required tasks. I fired up FurMark and tested it. and ended up with insane temps and graphical glitches.

I am running dual monitor, one AOC 1080p display and the XB270HU.

now it is currently slowly rising to about 60 degrees and will probably rise even more just idling. 

Since its saturday night, i cant contact the seller or MSI. Any tips from you guys?

Also i have tried using Afterburner changing presets and fan speed

Got myself the 980 ti on black friday and it just arrived. i installed it and did all the required tasks. I fired up FurMark and tested it. and ended up with insane temps and graphical glitches.

now it is currently slowly rising to about 60 degrees and will probably rise even more just idling. 

Since its saturday night, i cant contact the seller or MSI. Any tips from you guys?

install msi afterburner and set a custom fan curve.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Force a fan curve in MSI Afterburner?  RMA that card as soon as you can, may have a corrupt BIOS.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Force a fan curve in MSI Afterburner?  RMA that card as soon as you can, may have a corrupt BIOS.

Tried doing this. nothing happened

install msi afterburner and set a custom fan curve.

It didnt help. any other tips to get these fans spinning?

Give them a little poke in the right direction when they should be spinning. If they start spinning immediately to what seems like the correct speed then it is a mechanical issue and could potentially be fixed. If they don't start spinning it is either dead fans or BIOS issue, either of which you don't want to deal with and you should just wait to be able to RMA as soon as possible.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Spin it the old fashioned way with your finger trust me r8 8/8

I'm a beast

Spin it the old fashioned way with your finger trust me r8 8/8

Give them a little poke in the right direction when they should be spinning. If they start spinning immediately to what seems like the correct speed then it is a mechanical issue and could potentially be fixed. If they don't start spinning it is either dead fans or BIOS issue, either of which you don't want to deal with and you should just wait to be able to RMA as soon as possible.

Welp shit. i cant fucking do anything until monday. Jesus christ i hate when this shit happens

Welp shit. i cant fucking do anything until monday. Jesus christ i hate when this shit happens

I take it they didn't start spinning? lol Yea it is a bummer man, my MSi motherboard died on me a couple months back and I had to wait nearly 2 months for the RMA process through them. AND it cost me $35 in shipping.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

I hope MSI comes through for you. with luck they won't make you pay shipping. If I had to guess, a poor connection was made in the fan motors and they either aren't getting enough curernt or aren't getting any voltage at all.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

G.Skill TridentZ 3200MHz 2x8GB

Corsair SFX 750W

Phanteks Evolve Shift Air (glass front)

2x Corsair Force GS 120GB SSD (RAID 0)

I hope MSI comes through for you. with luck they won't make you pay shipping. If I had to guess, a poor connection was made in the fan motors and they either aren't getting enough curernt or aren't getting any voltage at all.

Honestly depending on the retailer that he bought it from he should probably RMA through them first. Neweggs RMA process is a thousand times better than MSi's.

Honestly depending on the retailer that he bought it from he should probably RMA through them first. Neweggs RMA process is a thousand times better than MSi's.

i can just drive up there but it has been closed this weekend. cant go tomorrow either because of work so i still have to wait several days until i can even get a new one. Im fucking dissapointed though, that they actually ship a card that doesnt work... it even says it has been checked several times for issues. my ass... fuck MSI, all my friends have had issues with them so i guess i'll join EVGA or something...

i can just drive up there but it has been closed this weekend. cant go tomorrow either because of work so i still have to wait several days until i can even get a new one. Im fucking dissapointed though, that they actually ship a card that doesnt work... it even says it has been checked several times for issues. my ass... fuck MSI, all my friends have had issues with them so i guess i'll join EVGA or something...

I'm not going to lie, I was the biggest MSi fan or a long time, they used to make arguably the best parts you could get. Back when their "military grade" actually stood for fucking MILITARY GRADE. The last 2 years when they started to jump on the Asus "gaming" branding MSi has just went down hill drastically. If I'm going to get an Nvidia GPU it is going to be EVGA (love my 970), for AMD I'm going sapphire. And as far as motherboards go I'm only buying Asus and Gigabyte.

I'm not going to lie, I was the biggest MSi fan or a long time, they used to make arguably the best parts you could get. Back when their "military grade" actually stood for fucking MILITARY GRADE. The last 2 years when they started to jump on the Asus "gaming" branding MSi has just went down hill drastically. If I'm going to get an Nvidia GPU it is going to be EVGA (love my 970), for AMD I'm going sapphire. And as far as motherboards go I'm only buying Asus and Gigabyte.

Military grade doesn't mean much at all.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Military grade doesn't mean much at all.

Nowadays it's just a term to make it sound better... Most of the time.

Did you miss the part where I said exactly that or?

"Back when their "military grade" actually stood for fucking MILITARY GRADE"

Means MSi used to use actual military grade components but no longer does.

Did you miss the part where I said exactly that or?

"Back when their "military grade" actually stood for fucking MILITARY GRADE"

Means MSi used to use actual military grade components but no longer does.

Technically they are still military grade, but military grade is a fucking joke and barely above industry standard in the first place

Basing quality off standards that haven't improved in ages obviously isn't going to stay meaningful.

Personally, I never understood the allure of military grade in the first place. The military does a shit load of awful stuff and calls it good enough. Fuck top of the line aircraft with engine lifespans in the hundreds of hours is considered "acceptable". Yea totally the biggest baddest things out there.

BTW you will probably find this chart amusing (most recent motherboard rma rates reported)... Fancy amazing ASUS sitting at third place

post-225630-0-41156800-1449522063.jpg

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Go with EVGA.

Never had a problem with them.

It's not a race to the bottom.

Technically they are still military grade, but military grade is a fucking joke and barely above industry standard in the first place

Basing quality off standards that haven't improved in ages obviously isn't going to stay meaningful.

Personally, I never understood the allure of military grade in the first place. The military does a shit load of awful stuff and calls it good enough. Fuck top of the line aircraft with engine lifespans in the hundreds of hours is considered "acceptable". Yea totally the biggest baddest things out there.

BTW you will probably find this chart amusing (most recent motherboard rma rates reported)... Fancy amazing ASUS sitting at third place

attachicon.gif2014.jpg

I honestly don't know how trust worthy that info pic is. Source is french (does it take into account global rma rates) and it doesn't even Include EVGA which is arguably the best Nvidia manufacturer for a few years now.