Raid 0 or nah?

xnoobftw
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

nah

raid is just a gimmick

a bit faster speeds which you will rarely notice is not worth the increased risk of losing your data and having raid issues

software raid is still really bad

use it as a second drive and put stuff like files or games and programs on it

I was thinking of getting another 250gb samsung 840 (or 850) evo and put it into raid 0 with my current 250gb 840evo ssd. (can i raid 0 with 850evo then?)

My question would be should i install it as another drive or put it into raid 0? If then do i need to do a clean windows install?

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

nah

raid is just a gimmick

a bit faster speeds which you will rarely notice is not worth the increased risk of losing your data and having raid issues

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

On top of that, the Magic software doesn't like raid so you will lose the advantages of your EVO.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

1. If you're aim is to do a RAID 0 on SSDs, it's wise to do it with the same type of drive (840 with 840, 840 evo with 840 evo). Each version of the drives use a different architecture and possibly a different kind of controller. By doing this, you'll avoid issues where one drive is waiting for another (which can degrade the performance significantly).

2. Switching from AHCI to RAID alone on the Intel Chipset may break your current drivers (and prevent your machine from booting). I usually always do a full reinstall whenever I do large changes like that. At the end of the day, you need to create a new array on the controller, which will discard any data on the one drive. Bottom line, do a reinstall.

Yeah I mean if you got time to trouble your RAID config every week then be my guest, not worth the increase in performance compared to the amount of stress it'll cause you

Well I have 2 40GB Barracuda ATA IV drives in Raid 0 and in that case it is noticeable (to an extent) but like @Enderman said it will be almost nothing you will notice and you would be better off using the extra storage that comes along with a new SSD for games and such.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Well I have 2 40GB Barracuda ATA IV drives in Raid 0 and in that case it is noticeable (to an extent) but like @Enderman said it will be almost nothing you will notice and you would be better off using the extra storage that comes along with a new SSD for games and such.

with HDDs its noticeable since theyre so slow

SSDs are already freaking fast, and unless youre transferring files all day long, programs wont be noticeably faster :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

with HDDs its noticeable since theyre so slow

SSDs are already freaking fast, and unless youre transferring files all day long, programs wont be noticeably faster :)

I agree with that 100% :P

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Yeah I mean if you got time to trouble your RAID config every week then be my guest, not worth the increase in performance compared to the amount of stress it'll cause you

i havent had to touch my raid 0, and I dont fear it failing,because then at least I have another drive to use... Its not like I'm keeping bank records on my computer...

nah

raid is just a gimmick

Hmmm alright! Seems like raid 0 isn't worth it (i think i would need a raid controller with my current setup anyways)

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H