AMD's Tonga 384-bit bus available but not enabled

zMeul

Well Tonga is essentially just a revision of Tahiti. It takes the same basics (Which were excellent, and are still good to this day), improves efficiency and adds in some of the latest GPU technology. The original Tonga release came out of nowhere, and was kind of useless, because it had the 2GB VRAM, and the 280/280x already both existed. The 285 had no proper place in the market.

But the 380 and 380x make much more sense, since the original Tahiti core has been officially retired, and replaced the the improved upon Tonga core.

Yeah i'm happy to see that its now supporting freesync, TA, and all the other current features accross the board except that bloody Pitcairn GPU in the middle of the lineup.

Just from what i've seen performance is even slightly down in some titles. mainly due to the 970mhz core clock. it seems weird to release an identical core config.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Do you think it's likely they will use rebadges when it's supposed to be a shrink down to 14/16nm?

who said anything about making a Tonga on 14/16nm?! they will use the same process as is now

Yeah i'm happy to see that its now supporting freesync, TA, and all the other current features accross the board except that bloody Pitcairn GPU in the middle of the lineup.

Just from what i've seen performance is even slightly down in some titles. mainly due to the 970mhz core clock. it seems weird to release an identical core config.

The identical core config likely just means less engineering time. No need to design it from the ground up.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

who said anything about making a Tonga on 14/16nm?! they will use the same process as is now

Well all the leaks so far say that AMD has 3 new chips for Arctic Islands (Greenland, Baffin, and Ellesmere, I believe they were called?), all three of which will be on 14/16nm FinFet. Each of these new chips is likely to have a "Full fledged" core, plus a "cut down" core, similar to Fury vs Fury X with Fiji.

I don't really see a place for a Tonga chip in that lineup that continues to use 28nm. Where would it even fit in? If the leaks are to be believed, then it AMD will have six new GPU's at 14nm. Will some of them be older chips with a die-shrink and whatever necessary tuning? Possibly. We don't know. But in any case, I see Tonga getting a die shrink more likely than it being rebranded whole-sale.

Either way, we'll see in a few months.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Well all the leaks so far say that AMD has 3 new chips for Arctic Islands (Greenland, Baffin, and Ellesmere, I believe they were called?), all three of which will be on 14/16nm FinFet. Each of these new chips is likely to have a "Full fledged" core, plus a "cut down" core, similar to Fury vs Fury X with Fiji.

I don't really see a place for a Tonga chip in that lineup that continues to use 28nm. Where would it even fit in? If the leaks are to be believed, then it AMD will have six new GPU's at 14nm. Will some of them be older chips with a die-shrink and whatever necessary tuning? Possibly. We don't know. But in any case, I see Tonga getting a die shrink more likely than it being rebranded whole-sale.

Either way, we'll see in a few months.

I doubt AMD will release these GPUs at the same time, maybe 2 at the most

AMD could also "plant" the new Tonga in laptops/similar like it was used in Apple products - the R9 M295X, wasn't Tonga based?

they could use it alongside GDDR5X and have a product cheaper than a "Arctic Island" GPU with HBM/HBM2

My point is that i don't expect AMD to keep 28nm alongside 14nm products in the 200$ range. To me it looks as if AMD was delaying new product releases to the next process shrink and TSMC kept floundering on those so we ended up in our current shitty situation.

I doubt AMD will release these GPUs at the same time, maybe 2 at the most

AMD could also "plant" the new Tonga in laptops/similar like it was used in Apple products - the R9 M295X, wasn't Tonga based?

they could use it alongside GDDR5X and have a product cheaper than a "Arctic Island" GPU with HBM/HBM2

Well look at the GCN 1.0 launch, 7970 in Jan, 7770 in feb, 7870 in march.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Well look at the GCN 1.0 launch, 7970 in Jan, 7770 in feb, 7870 in march.

and then you look at Fury lineup ^_^

and then you look at Fury lineup ^_^

I think that his point was that Fury was an anomaly. Fiji was probably supposed to be 20nm originally. But when TMSC couldn't deliver in any meaningful capacity, AMD had to hurry and retool Fiji for 28nm. Every other potential "Fiji era" chip was then likely scrapped or pushed back and retooled for 14/16nm FinFet.

That's as reasonable a guess as anyone has right now.

I think that his point was that Fury was an anomaly. Fiji was probably supposed to be 20nm originally. But when TMSC couldn't deliver in any meaningful capacity, AMD had to hurry and retool Fiji for 28nm. Every other potential "Fiji era" chip was then likely scrapped or pushed back and retooled for 14/16nm FinFet.

That's as reasonable a guess as anyone has right now.

I seriously doubt it, Fiji is nothing more than a beefed up Tonga with specific MCs for HMB

Fury lineup shortage was due to HBM shortages

going from 28 to 20nm is not as simple as resizing "something" - I would have to guess

if it's already there, why not enable it? So what if you cant make more doe from this, it literally costs nothing more, it's already there...

if it's already there, why not enable it? So what if you cant make more doe from this, it literally costs nothing more, it's already there...

Nah. On many of them. It may be damaged and unusable after being manufactured. And by doing this, they'll have higher yields. The bigger a GPU the more defects it is likely to have. Also, why would it be 384 bit? unnecessary power penalty.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Nah. On many of them. It may be damaged and unusable after being manufactured. And by doing this, they'll have higher yields. The bigger a GPU the more defects it is likely to have. Also, why would it be 384 bit? unnecessary power penalty.

Because on its face it's spec-equivalent to the GTX 980 but loses to it by a fair margin.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Because on its face it's spec-equivalent to the GTX 980 but loses to it by a fair margin.

Not quite spec equivalent. The 380x has half the amount of ROPs/ (32 as opposed to 64 on the GTX 980)

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Whatever happening to 512-640 bits? Used be on old ATi and nVidia GPUs, but now don't make it anymore. Or did I missed something?

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

Whatever happening to 512-640 bits? Used be on old ATi and nVidia GPUs, but now don't make it anymore. Or did I missed something?

More ram chips at faster speeds also increases the memory bandwidth. And yes, some cards still use/used 512-bit -> Hawaii/Grenada. Both the 290 series and the 390 series still have 512-bit buses.

I've never seen a GPU with 640-bit bus. Can you link a source? As far as I'm aware, 512-bit was the highest anyone ever went (I could certainly be wrong though).

More ram chips at faster speeds also increases the memory bandwidth. And yes, some cards still use/used 512-bit -> Hawaii/Grenada. Both the 290 series and the 390 series still have 512-bit buses.

I've never seen a GPU with 640-bit bus. Can you link a source? As far as I'm aware, 512-bit was the highest anyone ever went (I could certainly be wrong though).

Oh, I'm sorry about  640-bit bus. I am slow at catch up on new technology... Technology developing is too fast for me. *sighs*

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

More ram chips at faster speeds also increases the memory bandwidth.

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't work that way

when you say (bus) width you are referring on how many bits can be accessed at the same time per clock cycle

So Tonga has the potential to be released on 3 different generations at least?

Or are we getting a a 380xx or a 390-x?

Or what Nvidia has done and started to phase out 2GB GPUs and bring in 3GB GPUs at the same (or a slightly higher) cost?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't work that way

when you say (bus) width you are referring on how many bits can be accessed at the same time per clock cycle

Yes, that is correct.

The bus width, is only one part of the equation that equals bandwidth though.

A wide bus (eg: 512-bit) + slow ram chips can produce the same effective bandwidth as a low bus (Eg: 384-bit) + fast ram chips.

Although I'm not certain how the number of physical chips can affect the bus width (It's possible that they do not).

My point was simply that GPU manufacturers could get away with a smaller bus by having higher clocked RAM, because they can achieve the same effective bandwidth.

Yes, that is correct.

The bus width, is only one part of the equation that equals bandwidth though.

A wide bus (eg: 512-bit) + slow ram chips can produce the same effective bandwidth as a low bus (Eg: 384-bit) + fast ram chips.

Although I'm not certain how the number of physical chips can affect the bus width (It's possible that they do not).

My point was simply that GPU manufacturers could get away with a smaller bus by having higher clocked RAM, because they can achieve the same effective bandwidth.

not entirely correct, and I need someone with deeper knowledge of this - in theory yes, in practice the data is read in batches

the less number of cycles you need to use for retrieval is better

You don't follow what's said about him too much do you. A lot of people accuse him of making AMD look bad on purpose. Hence my post.

I do follow what's said about him, and he hasn't done any outright badmouthing for a few months now. The old beating of the "AMD and zMeuls" horse should come to an end.

CPU: AMD FX-6350@4.2Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston Fury Black + 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance HDD: WD Green 1Tb SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 60Gb CASE: DeepCool Tesseract SW

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fJLRWZ

not entirely correct, and I need someone with deeper knowledge of this - in theory yes, in practice the data is read in batches

Perhaps. Until I see a source that says otherwise though, what you're saying is purely speculation.

And that's why having both a wide bus and a high memory clock is the best combination (along with low latency and power and heat and...)

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

And that's why having both a wide bus and a high memory clock is the best combination (along with low latency and power and heat and...)

We have a saying in my country

Не може хем вълка сит, хем агнето цяло.

It means - you can't have it in a way that allows for all the positives to be there without any of the negatives

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

We have a saying in my country

Не може хем вълка сит, хем агнето цяло.

It means - you can't have it in a way that allows for all the positives to be there without any of the negatives

But.... GM200 has both high memory clocks and wide bus...

I mean "you can't have your cake and eat it?"

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS