Only <10fps in Fallout 4 lowest settings with decent rig

On average, I'm only getting around 10-15fps in Fo4. That's around 20fps in smaller interiors (though I just installed the beta and got up to 40fps), around 10fps in rural areas, and I'm lucky to get more than 6fps in more urban areas (though, it seems, again, the beta is giving me a a couple more at the worst). I'm also getting massive lag spikes of around 1fps.  I know a lot of people are getting sub-par fps, but this is ridiculous and almost unplayable. And don't get me started on skipped input and laggy weapon hotkeys.

I tried a lot of the tricks that I've seen: texture optimization, updated driver, high CPU priority, I completely disabled shadows (which seemed to help), completely lowest settings, even some obscure fix by enabling the fps counter via steam, etc, and I can't even make 50fps after the title menu.

And I really don't think it's my rig, because while my cpu isn't as good as the recommended one for the game, it's way better than the required, and I'm only using 40% cpu when running the game. And that goes for everything else. I'm not capping RAM, I don't think I'm capping my vRAM, and it doesn't even look like my graphics card is under too much of a load either.

Also, load times are crap, even running off of an SSD (though there is a symbolic link from the SSD it's on to the Steam Library on an HDD). I've been playing Skyrim on the same rig, and it runs great. 

Here is my build (as of now, I have everything but the wifi card and the CPU cooler): https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Herpestofthederp/saved/3NT9TW

I really need to know if there is just some really obscure thing wrong with the build I have, or I just chose the wrong GPU, or if Fallout 4 is really that buggy, and if there is anything I can do about it. I wanted to post here to see if this is something other people have been having a problem with, or if it sounds like a specific problem that can be fixed.

I needed a new PC anyway, but what really motivated me to get one was to be able to play Fo4, and I can barely do that. 

Well, you have an extreme weak CPU. Maybe that´s the Reason. The Rest of your Build looks solid.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

SNIP

Turn UP your settings, it can sometimes alleviate a CPU bottleneck by utilizing the GPU more

Those SSDs are pretty poo, but it still shouldnt be that bad

Uninstall and reinstall your drivers completely

Your rig should easily be playing the game at like medium/high 60fps

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

CPU is certainly a bottleneck, but I don't think it would be to this degree. 

Ya is doubt the CPU would drag it down to this poor Performance, but its very weak and maybe FO4 want a good CPU more than other Games.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Double check your driver settings to make sure you aren't using the drivers to force things like AA on every game. It's in the NVidia control panel under something like "3D graphics settings"

The CPU is the limiting factor here. Fallout 4 is very CPU hungry and the FX series just don't keep up. People with i5 are getting 80-85% usage on their chips. Definitely the CPU mate, unless you swap it, there is no fallout 4 for you unfortunately.

This article sums it up properly, benchmarking all popular CPUs.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2182-fallout-4-cpu-benchmark-huge-performance-difference

You would need to change your motherboard and CPU because even the 8 core FX is bad.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Any recommendations for a decent CPU that's compatible with my mobo?

Unfortunately your looking at having to get a new mobo and CPU. I don't know how they still allow AMD cpus to be sold for gaming rigs =(  

CPU: i7 8700k   Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero  RAM: 16GB @ 3600Mhz  GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G  Case: Fractal Design R5 (4 Intakes/3Exhausts)  Storage: Crucial BX100 SSD, Samsung 850 & Seagate 2TB HDD  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo '850W'  CPU Cooling: Corsair H110i GT 

probably lacking in the CPU department.

i have a 4690k and a gtx 970, i get 50-60 FPS @ 1440p

On what settings? I have the same build as you minus the 1440p moniter. I have a 1080.

Intel 4690K 4.5 GTX 970 Strix ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 LGA 1150 Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB NZXT Black/Red Kingston 240GB SSD && Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3TB HDD Corsair H60 Corsair Builder 500W

PCPartPicker

On what settings? I have the same build as you minus the 1440p moniter. I have a 1080.

Maxed out through geforce experience.

Some dips to 45ish on occasion, but I do have a GSYNC monitor which probably helps

Looking for a job

The CPU is the limiting factor here. Fallout 4 is very CPU hungry and the FX series just don't keep up. People with i5 are getting 80-85% usage on their chips. Definitely the CPU mate, unless you swap it, there is no fallout 4 for you unfortunately.

It should still get more than 10fps!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Its either fallout 4 being buggy for OP or Fallout 4 really needs that much CPU Power that the fx-6300 cannot reach 

Also getting that low fps? Little odd since my rig is weak with the intel pentium g3220 and r7 250x and 4gigs of ram....There are lag spikes when rendering a world but without i get 40+ fps on lowest settings....  Does fps change on the lowest settings?

Do all of your other games run fine with your setup?

Seems to be playing well at high settings and in this video pairing it with a less better gpu than OP's....Also OP had 16gb of ram soooo ram is not a factor in here and same thing goes for the cpu more or likely

In the comment section, uploader states that the fps is on the screen somewhere but we can't see it but he does tell us this is running on high settings with some settings turn down

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

All these people shitting on FX 6 core, there is no way you should be telling people it's their CPUs fault when they are getting 10fps.

He should be averaging 40fps

http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/1089/bench/CPU_01.png

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

All these people shitting on FX 6 core, there is no way you should be telling people it's their CPUs fault when they are getting 10fps.

He should be averaging 40fps

http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/1089/bench/CPU_01.png

True.....With many videos out there (like I shown) and charts to prove it (like yours for example) I doubt its the CPU.....

and

We still have to find out if other intensive games that OP is playing is acting the same or if we can see his temp of the CPU to make sure there are no overheating problems...I believe these are the two important factors that must be taken in before we decide to crap on the Fx-6300

Okay, so I deleted my fallout 4 folder from my SSD and the symbolic link from the HDD, redownloaded it to run just of the SSD (though load times are still over 40s), and reapplied the texture optimization mod.

Core Temp is showing a Tj. Max of 83C, and a max Core #0 of 63C (though it sat more around 40-50C. I can't view my other cores temps, and the Fo4 configuration tool is telling me my PC only has 3 cores, when of course I have 6. I don't know if that is a problem.

I also set quality to high (no shadows), and maybe only lost 1fps average, but it didn't brick the game, so at least I can still get 10fps without it having to look like crap. 

Okay, so I deleted my fallout 4 folder from my SSD and the symbolic link from the HDD, redownloaded it to run just of the SSD (though load times are still over 40s), and reapplied the texture optimization mod.

Core Temp is showing a Tj. Max of 83C, and a max Core #0 of 63C (though it sat more around 40-50C. I can't view my other cores temps, and the Fo4 configuration tool is telling me my PC only has 3 cores, when of course I have 6. I don't know if that is a problem.

I also set quality to high (no shadows), and maybe only lost 1fps average, but it didn't brick the game, so at least I can still get 10fps without it having to look like crap. 

Is it by chance the "texture Optimisation mod" that is cuasing problems or have you ran the game without that mod? 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Download Realtemp to monitor your gpu and cpu temps...Still doesn't explain why your game is running so low fps on your setup

Do you have any other games that you could test? 

Well, you have an extreme weak CPU. Maybe that´s the Reason. The Rest of your Build looks solid.

That CPU is not weak, I'm able to run Fallout 4 at a steady 40FPS with my 750k, and the 6300 is better than my CPU.

PC Specs   - Black and White Build

Intel Core i5 4690k MSI Z97S Krait LGA 1150

Crucial Ballistix Sport 1x8GB 1600MHZ

Sapphire Radeon R9 270 (Will be upgrading this soon)

EVGA 500W PSU

Phanteks Enthoo Pro - White

Do your other games run well? There is no way an FX-6300 can't run Fallout 4 at 30-40 fps if those weak ass 1.6 GHz Jaguar cpus in the PS4 can do 30 fps.

My FX 8350 and 7970 run Fo4 at around 60 fps on all high settings at 1080p.

I used to be quite active here.