PC suddenly started lagging on all games

Lewwat

I have a gtx 970 with an i5 4690k (neither are OC) and 16gb ram that i built last christmas, up until a few days ago everything has been working brilliantly with no hitches. However, on Tuesday i started experiencing lag on CSGO - down from 300+ to just 100 and suffering massive lag and stuttering in Just Cause 3. I installed the new Nvidia driver on tuesday before i played JC3 so i don't know if it is the drivers that are the issue but havent seen it publicised that they affect anything.

Any help would be much appreciated! 

Manchester, England

Manchester City Football Club <3

Lewis

hows the dust side of things? (and temperatures)

hows the dust side of things? (and temperatures)

I just cleaned it before i posted this, but its never been a problem. I ran OpenHardwareMonitor while playing JC3 but they seemed normal (max 53)

Manchester, England

Lewis

Have you tried monitoring your temps and clock speeds to make sure the system isnt throttling?

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Have you tried monitoring your temps and clock speeds to make sure the system isnt throttling?

What are the signs of that?

Manchester, England

Lewis

What are the signs of that?

The symptoms are exactly what you are describing. How to tell if it is happening is abnormally high temps or abnormally low core and memory clock speeds.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Throttling will slow your clock speeds down hence giving you less performance although if you've cleaned everything nicely and you're certain there's no dust that shouldn't be the issue, it can't hurt to check though

The symptoms are exactly what you are describing. How to tell if it is happening is abnormally high temps or abnormally low core and memory clock speeds.

I'll launch the game and have a look, i'll include a screenshot of it

Manchester, England

Lewis

Are you running anything in the background that could be hogging CPU of GPU cycles?

Are you running anything in the background that could be hogging CPU of GPU cycles?

No, i've closed down everything (although there is still background processes)

Manchester, England

Lewis

I have included two screenshot, one while not moving and standing still, the other while driving - where most of the lag happens. At the start of the game for the first 15 second when i am running around it runs perfectly fine.

These are taken while playing just cause 3

While afk

post-155760-0-38346600-1449090787_thumb.

During driving

post-155760-0-98680000-1449090795_thumb.

When i am laggin my GPU load is very low compared to afk, high fps

Manchester, England

Lewis

The RAM usage. Super high.

You have something running in the background that wasn't there before that's hogging memory and slowing you down, from what it looks like.

Sig under construction.

The RAM usage. Super high.

You have something running in the background that wasn't there before that's hogging memory and slowing you down, from what it looks like.

hmmm, right now my top memory hoggers in task manager are JC3, google chrome (which i have closed while playing) and malwarebytes and Fsecure

Manchester, England

Lewis

That is a lot of RAM usage, there's your problem it would most likely be that the RAM can't feed the data in and out fast enough as it's too full. Everything else seems fine to me

That is a lot of RAM usage, there's your problem it would most likely be that the RAM can't feed the data in and out fast enough as it's too full. Everything else seems fine to me

Okay, thanks 

Manchester, England

Lewis