Samsung Mobile leader steps down. New changes coming?

Nineshadow

Following two years of poor financial results from its mobile division, Samsung Co-CEO and leader of the mobile division JK Shin is stepping down from his role at Samsung Mobile. Shin will remain on Samsung’s board as president and Co-CEO to focus on the ‘long-term business strategy’ of Samsung.

The mobile division will now be run by Dong Jin Koh (reports Bloomberg), who steps up from his role as Head of Mobile Research and Development, where he recently worked on the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy Note 5.
galax6_sy_s6_edge_feature.jpg

Although results from the last quarter showed a six percent rise in revenue for the South Korean company (the first rise in two years) the performance of the mobile division was a fiscal drag on Samsung. Revenue increased slightly, but profits were down quarter on quarter.

While unit sales did rise, much of that increase was from mid-range handsets which offer less profit and less status than the flagship devices. There are two other points worth considering; Samsung bringing forward sales of the Note 5 and the Galaxy Edge Plus into Q3 by four weeks, and the price cut that was forced on the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy Edge to try to shift stock.

Given the lead times for product design and manufacturing, I’m not sure how much of an impact Koh will be able to have on the upcoming Galaxy S7. The S7 family is expected to be announced during Q1 2016, and the traditional press conference would be just before the Mobile World Congress event in Barcelona. That would mean a late February announcement, although there are some indications that Samsung is considering an announcement after CES in January.

Given the short timescale, the S7′s design will be mostly locked in place. Koh will have been heavily involved with the design of these upcoming devices, so it’s likely that he will be happy with what will be offered to the public. Neither will an internal promotion through the corporate chain of command be likely to bring in any radical new ideas to Samsung’s mobile device portfolio over the next eighteen months. A fresh pair of hands at the top should be welcomed, but only if Koh can affect real change on Samsung’s mobile fortunes.

SOURCE

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, the Galaxy S6 wasn't the success that Samsung needed it seems. Let's see if the next generation flagship will be any different.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

You could really use some quote bubbles, and cut the size of the post down.

Seems good i guess? New people are always good.

Although I'm not sure what this guy did...

Hopefully we can get a better Note 6 with him gone.

RiP

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

bring back removable battery, expandable storage and IR blaster! i want, need a true prosumer focused note 6!!!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Sadly now with Apple making larger phones many seem to have stopped buying Samsung phones.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

bring back removable battery, expandable storage and IR blaster!

I hope the S7 has these as well. Also hopefully they keep the LED notification light