DSLR Video doesnt look up to standard...

Gershy13

Hi,

I have a problem with my DSLR Video. It doesnt look good. There is no detail in the faces, and it looks like DV video.

Here are some sample clips:

here is the raw cinestyle clip

and here is the graded version

If someone can help me fix it, i will be grateful... 

Thanks
Gershy13

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x + H150i Elite LCD     

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3600MHz CL16

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro

GPU: MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC       

SSD 1: Corsair MP600 1tb (Windows)      

SSD 2: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb (Scratch Drive)   

SSD 3: Samsung 860 EVO 250gb

HDD 1: WD Blue 1TB

HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Case: NZXT H710

PSU: Corsair TX750M

Mouse: Lamzu Atlantis Pro Mini 4khz

Keyboard: Akko 5075B Plus

DSLR footage is notoriously bad. You have to grade and refine the sh*t out of DSLR video in order to get it in decent quality. Using a program like DaVinci Resolve or even mad skills with Premiere Pro COULD get it up to par, but you'd be spending hours if not days grading.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

DSLR footage is notoriously bad. You have to grade and refine the sh*t out of DSLR video in order to get it in decent quality. Using a program like DaVinci Resolve or even mad skills with Premiere Pro COULD get it up to par, but you'd be spending hours if not days grading.

really? It has looked better previously... and this is not what ive heard from film professionals... some of them shoot using 5Ds... admittedly my camera is only a 650d, but it cant be that bad...

Maybe try a clip without cinestyle?

After all, its made for proper grading, which means it will look worse then original unless you grade it good enough.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

really? It has looked better previously... and this is not what ive heard from film professionals... some of them shoot using 5Ds... admittedly my camera is only a 650d, but it cant be that bad...

You could try to dig around in the settings (when I'm forced to use a DSLR, I use 24 FPS 1080p. Notice how I say FORCED. I don't like using DSLRs). When I don't need as much quality but am shooting for a short video or like a music video, then I use 30FPS 720p.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

Maybe try a clip without cinestyle?

After all, its made for proper grading, which means it will look worse then original unless you grade it good enough.

i tried before, but it looks the same... or even worse...

You could try to dig around in the settings (when I'm forced to use a DSLR, I use 24 FPS 1080p. Notice how I say FORCED. I don't like using DSLRs). When I don't need as much quality but am shooting for a short video or like a music video, then I use 30FPS 720p.

yup, for this shot i used 1080p24...

1/80th  shutter, f7.1 or something, and ISO 100

OK first of all you need to know some basics about DSLR video shooting.

Normal rule of thumb is shutter speed = 2x frame rate.  So if your frame rate is 24p or 25p, use 1/50s shutter speed.  For 60p (60fps) use 1/125 as cameras don't have 1/120 shutter speed.

Keep in mind I said this is a normal rule of thumb.  You are free to not follow this rule, but understand that it can affect the motion blur that sometimes need to be inherent in video to make it appear "natural".

If you follow this rule and get underexposed or over exposed images and you do not want a change in DOF by changing the aperture, you either need to adjust ISO or use ND or Vari-ND filters.  You can also add or remove or brighten/dim down lighting.

As for judging your video, as Youtube performs a processing of any video you upload it's hard for me to judge the quality.  I just assume most of the low quality or visual artefacts are due to Youtube and not your fault.  So if you want us to look at something and help you correct what might be wrong, use a service like WeTransfer to post a link to a file.

Focusing issues, DSLR AF is designed primarily for still images.  Not for continuous moving images or subject tracking like in proper video cameras.

Color grading.  Show us a video footage that is straight out of the camera.  Do not apply cine styles or other color grading unless you know what you are doing.  I recommend you invest in a color checker panel which is just a small plastic card with various color boxes, gray boxes and some white boxes.  This will help you grade color in post later.  A color checker designed for video can also help you get the right exposure setting.  The image below shows an example of one such accessory.

cc.jpg

So once you get many of the things correctly done in camera, next you have to work on post processing.

TIP: When you record video in camera, turn off, disable or lower the color profiles/settings in the camera.  Record a flat image.  It might not look nice straight out of the camera, it may look bland and pale.  But it will make post processing easier and will retain more detail.  Because in-camera processing can actually discard some valuable shadows and highlights data.  I disable any built-in camera assist like High ISO Noise Reduction or Active D-Lighting.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

OK first of all you need to know some basics about DSLR video shooting.

Normal rule of thumb is shutter speed = 2x frame rate.  So if your frame rate is 24p or 25p, use 1/50s shutter speed.  For 60p (60fps) use 1/125 as cameras don't have 1/120 shutter speed.

Keep in mind I said this is a normal rule of thumb.  You are free to not follow this rule, but understand that it can affect the motion blur that sometimes need to be inherent in video to make it appear "natural".

If you follow this rule and get underexposed or over exposed images and you do not want a change in DOF by changing the aperture, you either need to adjust ISO or use ND or Vari-ND filters.  You can also add or remove or brighten/dim down lighting.

As for judging your video, as Youtube performs a processing of any video you upload it's hard for me to judge the quality.  I just assume most of the low quality or visual artefacts are due to Youtube and not your fault.  So if you want us to look at something and help you correct what might be wrong, use a service like WeTransfer to post a link to a file.

Focusing issues, DSLR AF is designed primarily for still images.  Not for continuous moving images or subject tracking like in proper video cameras.

Color grading.  Show us a video footage that is straight out of the camera.  Do not apply cine styles or other color grading unless you know what you are doing.  I recommend you invest in a color checker panel which is just a small plastic card with various color boxes, gray boxes and some white boxes.  This will help you grade color in post later.  A color checker designed for video can also help you get the right exposure setting.  The image below shows an example of one such accessory.

cc.jpg

Ok, 

1. I shot at a slightly higher shutter speed to keep the moving subjects in focus without much blur.

2. I used manual focus, and i think it was ok.

3. The footage looks the same on YT and my computer, i will provide a google drive link tho.

4. I used cinestyle to get a bit more dynamic range.

5. I just wanted to make the video more saturated and contrasted. And i added sharpness using the Unsharpen mask.

Another tip:  Follow this channel on Youtube if you haven't done so.  There are some great DSLR film making tips.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Q3kTW31Zey79mrYaB6Pug

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Yes I do follow him...

Ok, 

1. I shot at a slightly higher shutter speed to keep the moving subjects in focus without much blur.

2. I used manual focus, and i think it was ok.

3. The footage looks the same on YT and my computer, i will provide a google drive link tho.

5. I just wanted to make the video more saturated and contrasted. And i added sharpness using the Unsharpen mask.

Ok I am at the office now, but I did take a look at the first Google Drive link you posted.  It definitely shows a much better quality video than the Youtube link you shared.  The Youtube video for me was showing some blur and pixelating for the first few seconds, perhaps a video caching issue.

For a majority of the video, it appears that the main subject in focus is the guy in the white T-shirt who is closest to the camera.  There was quite a bit of soft focusing with the third guy in the far end.  This I assume is due to the DOF not being wide enough.  It's fine, with large sensor cameras it's not easy to get everything in focus.  Stepping down the aperture can increase the DOF but can also lead to a sacrifice in sharpness due to lens diffraction at very small apertures.  Something you have to use your judgement to balance things out.  Read the 2 links I posted below.

Even large budget films have this issue, for example the recently released James Bond film Spectre had some scenes where I realised due to the very large sensor camera they were using they couldn't keep both Bond's face and his co-star's face in focus at the same time when it felt like both of them needed to be in focus.

https://luminous-landscape.com/understanding-lens-diffraction/

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

Ok I have to go to a meeting now, I'll comment more later.

Don't think your camera is bad.  I think you just need to get some more practice and experience.  And I am here to help if you need.

Ok I am at the office now, but I did take a look at the first Google Drive link you posted. It definitely shows a much better quality video than the Youtube link you shared. The Youtube video for me was showing some blur and pixelating for the first few seconds, perhaps a video caching issue.

For a majority of the video, it appears that the main subject in focus is the guy in the white T-shirt who is closest to the camera. There was quite a bit of soft focusing with the third guy in the far end. This I assume is due to the DOF not being wide enough. It's fine, with large sensor cameras it's not easy to get everything in focus. Stepping down the aperture can increase the DOF but can also lead to a sacrifice in sharpness due to lens diffraction at very small apertures. Something you have to use your judgement to balance things out. Read the 2 links I posted below.

Even large budget films have this issue, for example the recently released James Bond film Spectre had some scenes where I realised due to the very large sensor camera they were using they couldn't keep both Bond's face and his co-star's face in focus at the same time when it felt like both of them needed to be in focus.

https://luminous-landscape.com/understanding-lens-diffraction/

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

Ok I have to go to a meeting now, I'll comment more later.

Don't think your camera is bad. I think you just need to get some more practice and experience. And I am here to help if you need.

OK thanks... I'll look at those links... I know my camera isnt bad, but it has looked better previously...

I have a few other videos recorded with a custom profile which I can upload....

Well I'm gonna use my phone while I listen to other people talk.

If you want to get less motion blur, don't increase the shutter speed. Record in a higher frame rate instead. That's why 50p and 60p footage looks so smooth.

I also recommend you invest in an external field monitor. They are not really expensive and are much more useful than the small 3" screen on the back of the camera. It will help you focus better, see more details and have features to help record better.

Yeah I'm on my phone so keeping the text brief. I'll expand on my comments later.

Well I'm gonna use my phone while I listen to other people talk.

If you want to get less motion blur, don't increase the shutter speed. Record in a higher frame rate instead. That's why 50p and 60p footage looks so smooth.

Oh...

I was following this:

http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/camera-panning-speed

But i didnt want to use 60fps, because that meant 720p...

You use a flat cinestyle profile, but did you grade the footage? I think you could do a lot more in the grade 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You use a flat cinestyle profile, but did you grade the footage? I think you could do a lot more in the grade 

yes i did...

I just wanted to make it look decent, with saturation and contrast...

Im not really good at grading... (if you couldnt tell :P )

But it was the best i could do in a few minutes...

I used Adobe SpeedGrade

yes i did...

I just wanted to make it look decent, with saturation and contrast...

Im not really good at grading... (if you couldnt tell :P )

But it was the best i could do in a few minutes...

I used Adobe SpeedGrade

I think you could be a bit more aggressive, but be careful as low bitrate DSLR video falls apart fast if pushed TOO far

Make the shadows tend towards blue, and the highlights / mid tons towards orange - this can really help with the cinematic look, 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'll let the Panda cover the aspects of post processing and I'll talk more about the filming techniques, before the footage gets to the editor. Because he will provide a better perspective than I can about the post processing part.

I think you could be a bit more aggressive, but be careful as low bitrate DSLR video falls apart fast if pushed TOO far

Make the shadows tend towards blue, and the highlights / mid tons towards orange - this can really help with the cinematic look, 

ok... I have magic lantern... do you think i should shoot with a higher bitrate next time? i can go up to 66mbps from 44...

I'll let the Panda cover the aspects of post processing and I'll talk more about the filming techniques, before the footage gets to the editor. Because he will provide a better perspective than I can about the post processing part.

the panda :D  (sorry i couldnt resist). 

Yes higher bit rates are better.

ok... I have magic lantern... do you think i should shoot with a higher bitrate next time? i can go up to 66mbps from 44...

the panda :D  (sorry i couldnt resist). 

Yes as high as possible! it really helps in grading, as the camera captures a lot more information in the file

I am, The Panda :D (aka God)

Ok, so next time i'll shoot at 66mbps...

Ok, so next time i'll shoot at 66mbps...

But you can still grade lower bitrate footage, just cant push the shadows and stuff as much or it gets very blocky

But you can still grade lower bitrate footage, just cant push the shadows and stuff as much or it gets very blocky

yeah... i still need to try and fix this clip... but it doesnt look good as in detail in the faces....