EIZO Displays : Gold or Snake Oil?

Nishizumi

So I was frolicking around the Internet, looking around for a FreeSync monitor to acommpany my two Fury cards. Then this EIZO ad just popped up on the Dreamhack winter stream about the Foris FS2735 ( if I recall correctly). Besides finding out where to buy one, is the display actually any good or is it just snake oil?

"The REVISED Companion Cube, v2.1" - "1440p, lock on." Discover it by clicking here.   // Peripherals - Corsair Strafe RGB  + Steelseries Rival

CPU - i7-6700k // Motherboard - ASRock Z170 Extreme 6+ // CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i GTX // Memory - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2133 (2x8GB) // Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB // Graphics - Crossfire Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X // PSU -  EVGA SuperNova G2 850W // Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540 (Steel) // Devices - iPhone 6 Plus, Macbook Pro //

Am unsure about that particular monitor - EIZO is relatively new to the gaming monitor scene. 

But in general, EIZO is the gold standard for professional monitors and I have a high level of faith in them, and if the monitor was competitively priced, I'd probably go for it.

That monitor has not been released yet.

It's been demoed in Japan but it's not for sale.  Maybe some people in Japan have access to it, but that's not helping us....

Not everything Eizo makes has been amazing. They make solid reliable monitors, they just don't have quality control issues with what they produce but not everything they do is incredible in raw performance. You will need to see a tftcentral review before you make any particular decisions on the monitor.

As an aside I actually spoke to Eizo about freesync/gsync early 2014 when AMD told a lot of lies about Freesync and gsync (that happened unfortunately) and I investigated a lot of the claims with the various OEMs. I had an interesting conversation with Eizo where one of their product managers told me they had no intention to pursue gsync or freesync. The reason was they felt the answer was more frame rate and higher frequency and their, at the time recently released, '240hz' technology was better at removing motion blur which mattered a lot more than stutter and at 200hz the stutter just disappeared. I find it interesting to see how 2 years in the market can change a companies strongly held position.

They're right but only if you can maintain a high frame rate.  I use benq blur reduction for that reason.

Sutters don't matter as much if your FPS is over 120 fps, then lowering pixel persistence by motion blur reduction is far more important.  They're felt much more at lower framerates, and that's where variable refresh rate matters.

Eizo focus is on professional grade monitors, and specialty focused monitors.

They just recently started to make consumer grade monitors, but the thing is that it is not the same playing field. Consumer area you are doing mass production, and you can't say "Let's put and do the best of the best". It comes down to not knowing how to cut things, at which level, things costs too much as they don't have the optimization knowledge for mass production, and many other problems.

It's not that their consumer monitors are bad per se, but it is not the best for the price, and can under perform in some areas. In other words, if they are serious entering the consumer market, better wait ~3-5 years, while they get things just right.

You are better off with a Dell or ASUS monitor for now.