Best sounding headphones you've ever listened to?

melias24

There's no real "best" for me. HD800, LCD-3 and HE-6 are my 3 favourite headphones although if i have to pick one, it would be 1964 ears A12. THAT. DAMN. MIDS.

@SSL i summon thee

eh, my work here is done (see upthread comment).

But sure, let's recap that the difference in conductance between copper and silver is a measly 5% and that the skin effect is nonexistant at audio frequencies in a 26AWG wire.

But sure, let's recap that the difference in conductance between copper and silver is a measly 5% and that the skin effect is nonexistant at audio frequencies in a 26AWG wire.

#science!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I have a pair of Marshal Monitors and a pair of Shure 840's. The marshal's are "fun" headphones with a nice bass emphasis and I like them a lot. They're also very portable and have a microphone on the cable so that's nice when I'm on the go. They usually live on my desk at work hooked up to my laptop. I can use the mic on video calls, and I listen to them throughout the day. They don't leak sound and are fairly comfortable and sound really nice. 

The Shure's are my home headphones. They are bigger and bulkier, but they are also more comfortable IMO. They don't have as much bass, but they are much better at isolating individual instruments/vocals/tracks and I find that enjoyable as well.

I really like both pairs, and wouldn't trade either one. I'm more of a speaker guy myself, and the headphones really only get used when I can't use speakers for some reason.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

I don't believe you. But this is also not the place to debate whether or not cables actually alter sound in any great way (hint: they don't.) also, if anything were to make a difference, it would hardly be a copper cabled fiio that is made out of essentially the same metal as the Shures.

Regardless, it's still not a mod. Calling a cable change a mod is like calling a change in your desktop background a mod, and it's just well... Not...

Sometimes wires, connectors, or shielding are manufactured faulty.  Then there's the issue of cable noise.  I forget the correct term, but where you hear every little rustle when the cable moves.

Sometimes wires, connectors, or shielding are manufactured faulty. Then there's the issue of cable noise. I forget the correct term, but where you hear every little rustle when the cable moves.

That's a faulty wire, which, by the way, shure would replace for free. Shure (and over the ear iems in general) iems don't have the issue of microphonics, so what's your point?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Then my copper originas must have worn out.

They were green already lel.

That's a faulty wire, which, by the way, shure would replace for free. Shure (and over the ear iems in general) iems don't have the issue of microphonics, so what's your point?

Funny how he mentioned.

The FiiO had the rustle when you move and rub the cables together.

Well i am not the only one that detected sound change, i leave it at that.

I would really want you guys to test it out instead of "sciencing" me.

We all know theory and practical are different things.

Was a cable swap really necessary to verify that?

My previous cables were getting green so i proceded to replace them.

My previous cables were getting green so i proceded to replace them.

Greening cables don't do anything to the sound, unless the corrosion has extended all the way through the metal. Also, I'm sciencing you because the differences would be incredibly minor at best, and I would be willing to be money that you think it changes the sound because of expectation bias, just like everyone else that says they can hear a difference. I don't hear differences with different cables, and my ears are fine. Also, I have owned MANY different headphones and iems, so it's not like I'm lacking in experience here.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Funny how he mentioned.

The FiiO had the rustle when you move and rub the cables together.

Well i am not the only one that detected sound change, i leave it at that.

I would really want you guys to test it out instead of "sciencing" me.

We all know theory and practical are different things.

Science isn't wrong, other wise it wouldn't be called science.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Greening cables don't do anything to the sound, unless the corrosion has extended all the way through the metal. Also, I'm sciencing you because the differences would be incredibly minor at best, and I would be willing to be money that you think it changes the sound because of expectation bias, just like everyone else that says they can hear a difference. I don't hear differences with different cables, and my ears are fine. Also, I have owned MANY different headphones and iems, so it's not like I'm lacking in experience here.

Then tell me, why are 90/100 people using the cable modding saying that there is a god damn change in sound.

Also i double checked the music i listened to while swapping the cables.

I am not lying to you, there is noticebly more bass and sounds less muddy in the low ends.

Science isn't wrong, other wise it wouldn't be called science.

No, science is too accurate.

Other factors can when testing can lead to the change of the end result.

Unless you have a method in which the sam sleeving was used, the same cable thickness, same weeve pattern and the identical length was used and the only variable being the wire type, you cannot call it science.

It is an assumption.

Then tell me, why are 90/100 people using the cable modding saying that there is a god damn change in sound.

Already explained by expectation bias.

As someone else familiar with this area I will tell you this, sure, a better cable can technically help.... But you can't tell me that 90 out of 100 people will instantly be able to notice a difference between a mfg cable and a MoonAudio Silver Dragon. I'm sure there ARE people who can hear such subtle differences, but it would be more like 1-5 out of 100, if that.

To give you an example of modded cables I use personally so you don't assume I am speaking without trying such.... Some old DHC cables from their earlier line, with a price tag sitting near $1k. (They've frayed near the headphone connection over time, but I can't be bothered by that as of late).

http://i.imgur.com/ZsopW0K.jpg

Now, I put the default Mrspeakers standard cable next to it just for reference, I haven't found anyone in blind testing to be able to tell the difference between the 2 when listening to anything from Bach to Nico Vega.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

Already explained by expectation bias.

As someone else familiar with this area I will tell you this, sure, a better cable can technically help.... But you can't tell me that 90 out of 100 people will instantly be able to notice a difference between a mfg cable and a MoonAudio Silver Dragon. I'm sure there ARE people who can hear such subtle differences, but it would be more like 1-5 out of 100, if that.

To give you an example of modded cables I use personally so you don't assume I am speaking without trying such.... Some old DHC cables from their earlier line, with a price tag sitting near $1k. (They've frayed near the headphone connection over time, but I can't be bothered by that as of late).

http://i.imgur.com/ZsopW0K.jpg

Now, I put the default Mrspeakers standard cable next to it just for reference, I haven't found anyone in blind testing to be able to tell the difference between the 2 when listening to anything from Bach to Nico Vega.

The clear SE215 seems to have issue then.

Because they released another edition to quickly replace. Not sure what was changed but a bass boost was noticed.

The problem probably resideds in the cables and they shure se215 cables being faulty.

I guess this is my take on it.

I happy to be proven wrong but please for the love of god write accurate information with testing like this dude.

Or your comment really... is as good as ignored.

The clear SE215 seems to have issue then.

Because they released another edition to quickly replace. Not sure what was changed but a bass boost was noticed.

The problem probably resideds in the cables and they shure se215 cables being faulty.

I guess this is my take on it.

I happy to be proven wrong but please for the love of god write accurate information with testing like this dude.

Or your comment really... is as good as ignored.

I mean, I've done that test with the SE215 that my girlfriend has, and I've done it with the stock cable, a cheap cable similar to the Fiio and with a pure silver cable using Eidolic connectors for the MMCX connector, and a Viablue 3.5mm jack on the other end. I also did the same test with the SE535 that I used to own. Is that good enough for you? Jesus. 

Also, Shure came out with a special edition 215, which is what they did with the 535 too. They do a more "fun" sounding, limited version with some of their earphones. They also come in cool colors. Other than that, the original 215 is still for sale, unless I'm grossly mistaken. I still doubt that the Shure cables were faulty, and I still believe wholeheartedly that expectation bias is the reason that you *think* you are hearing differences in the sound. 

I'm not talking out of my ass, and I generally try to avoid doing that, I'm speaking from 100% personal experience. I've also tried different cables on a few other headphones with the same results. 

I'm telling you that unless you did a blind test, there is no way that you are able to accurately tell us whether or not there is a change from the stock cable, no matter how quickly you switched. That's why actual evidence is one of the conditions for posting a new conjecture on Hydrogen Audio (a Science-only audio forum). Honestly... If I ever get around to it, I'll buy a few cables for some of my in ears, and I'll measure them with my oscilloscope, just so you can be sure, but I'm pretty certain that many have done something similar to that before, which you could easily look up. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Then my copper originas must have worn out.

They were green already lel.

Hold the phone. Does the SE215 have a bare cable or something? I assume by "green", you mean that it tarnished, no? How is that supposed to have happened?

Hold the phone. Does the SE215 have a bare cable or something? I assume by "green", you mean that it tarnished, no? How is that supposed to have happened?

The clear se series has a cable with a clear plastic that is woven over the cable. It's kind of like a plastic cloth. As such, it is not a watertight cable, and it can tarnish somewhat easily if not taken extreme care of.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

The clear se series has a cable with a clear plastic that is woven over the cable. It's kind of like a plastic cloth. As such, it is not a watertight cable, and it can tarnish somewhat easily if not taken extreme care of.

Intruiging. Still, seems like a dumb reason to replace the cable.

Intruiging. Still, seems like a dumb reason to replace the cable.

Indeed.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Copper eroded.

Prolly due to water entering the cable, not sure how.

Copper eroded.

Water got in because of what I described above. Still wouldn't affect sound quality though.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Copper eroded.

Well, not erosion. Corrosion. Big difference.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Well, not erosion. Corrosion. Big difference.

Meh, couldn't find the word, thanks for saying.