Battlefield 4 Officially Runs at 720P on PlayStation 4

You are missing two variables:

1. At what viewing distance?
  2. On what size screen?

At 27" from 2 feet away, I am sure it will look pretty good.

At 65" from 6 feet away, I am sure it will look ok.

If they did 4k, the framerate would b e unplayable or the textures would look like shit.  So... either way 4k at any size would look shitty. 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

The next gen consoles are only a benefit for PC gaming. The only thing it does for console gamers, Sony and Microsoft is to keep them with each company rather than go over to PC or mobile. It was a good thing for both companies to release a console however they didn't release anything that would be powerful for long infact the console aren't powerful enough for games today in my opinion. They should have created really powerful consoles that could handle games for years to come rather instead they created consoles that would last 3 years and then games will no longer evolve in mechanics and graphics again. When that comes around I think PC gaming will increase at a higher rate.

I think it was too expensive to create powerful consoles. What they could have do hypothetically is in say 3 years time release playstation 4.1.... A machine which shares the same design principles but is much more powerful in terms of raw throughput- since by then it will be very cheap to create a machine more powerful than the ps4. So at that point the ps4 is replaced by the 4.1 which is fully backwards compatible with all play-station 4 games. The new games themselves auto-detect whether they are being played on a 4 or a 4.1 and retune their graphics settings automatically to optimize for the hardware.... It would require devs to have 2 graphics presets.

LOL- was pretty much just thinking out load; is this even feasible technically?

If they did 4k, the framerate would b e unplayable or the textures would look like shit.  So... either way 4k at any size would look shitty. 

He is talking about upscaling. Not the true resolution.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

He is talking about upscaling. Not the true resolution.

Oh, scratch that :)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Maybe the cpu, not the gpu... It's like a 7850, it should be playing it pretty well at 1080.

Untitled-27.png

My 7870 runs bf3 at 60-70 fps (ultra 1080p) all the time. It may help that it's clocked at 1260mhz, but that doesn't explain the massive discrepancy here.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Sony could always help dice optimize there game; Also read somewhere that the ps4's gpu does have the ability to be overclocked somewhat (about 50-100 MHz) to make it get to the 1.9 to 2 tflop range, so maybe they'll up the clock speed just enough to deliver 1080p.

I'm talking about systems stores build from parts they sell, like NCIX.

its an America only company and doesn't operate in Europe

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

I'd definitely rather have a lower resolution and have it run smooth, than high res at lower frames.

"...The closer you get to something, the tougher it is to see it..."

NCIX isn't the only store in the world that assembles systems from parts they stock and sell.

Systems built by computer stores has been going on for several decades.

the same goes with picking out parts and having them assemble it for you.

Before the web you could do with it with catalogs, not just desktops but Laptops as well.

Research the options and you get more for your money.

NCIX isn't the only store in the world that assembles systems from parts they stock and sell.

Systems built by computer stores has been going on for several decades.

the same goes with picking out parts and having them assemble it for you.

Before the web you could do with it with catalogs, not just desktops but Laptops as well.

Research the options and you get more for your money.

but a console gamer wouldn't do that

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

for most people you wouldnt be able to see the difference

I know and I needed them checked when people told be DVD/Laserdisc wasn't any better then VHS and then again when they told me an upscaled DVD is just as good as a Blu-ray

and 4K has no visual benefit over HDTV and it's all a scam to take our money.

gotta love these console topics..

seeing as about 95% of the people here won t get a console it always end up :

-console are awful

-no console are just bad

-no they re horrible

but really seeing the specs, a xbone/ps4 got a 7850 max and that cannot run 60fps ALL the time, so in order to say zomg we do 60fps, they have to do 720p.even if upscaling leaves horrible artefacts.(that you ll see no matter how far you re seated.)

not that it matter since no one here will buy one...

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

gotta love these console topics..

seeing as about 95% of the people here won t get a console it always end up :

-console are awful

-no console are just bad

-no they re horrible

but really seeing the specs, a xbone/ps4 got a 7850 max and that cannot run 60fps ALL the time, so in order to say zomg we do 60fps, they have to do 720p.even if upscaling leaves horrible artefacts.(that you ll see no matter how far you re seated.)

not that it matter since no one here will buy one...

The ps4s gpu its not exactly an hd 7850 if the dev can optimize it fully(aka naughty dog) you can tremendous amounts of performance (maybe even up to an HD7970(very big maybe)) out of even the crappiest gpu like the one thats in the ps3. But whether dice will have time to do this is up to EA.

The ps4s gpu its not exactly an hd 7850 if the dev can optimize it fully(aka naughty dog) you can tremendous amounts of performance (maybe even up to an HD7970(very big maybe)) out of even the crappiest gpu like the one thats in the ps3. But whether dice will have time to do this is up to EA.

That's stretching it a bit. Maybe a 7870 in performance if well optimized

Hail Sithis!

Look at the gpu in the ps3 it is near a  7800gtx and yet while a pc with that cant run bf3 at 704p natively a ps3 can. But then again I don't think well see this performance until maybe 5 years down the road or maybe it might happen fairly soon; like I said before its up to the devs.

You have to admit that it would be funny if BF4 comes out, turns out to be resource hungry, and all the console bashing people with mid-range computers can't play over 30 FPS.

I think it was too expensive to create powerful consoles. What they could have do hypothetically is in say 3 years time release playstation 4.1.... A machine which shares the same design principles but is much more powerful in terms of raw throughput- since by then it will be very cheap to create a machine more powerful than the ps4. So at that point the ps4 is replaced by the 4.1 which is fully backwards compatible with all play-station 4 games. The new games themselves auto-detect whether they are being played on a 4 or a 4.1 and retune their graphics settings automatically to optimize for the hardware.... It would require devs to have 2 graphics presets.

LOL- was pretty much just thinking out load; is this even feasible technically?

That would be a good idea however I don't think people would won't to go out and buy a £350 console every 2 years.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

U get what you pay for.. Console @ $500~ vs PC @ $4000.

Pretty obvious difference right there.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

U get what you pay for.. Console @ $500~ vs PC @ $4000.

Pretty obvious difference right there.

Except that a PC costing $800 can probably run better than the consoles.

And surf the internet

And do office work

And media editing

And is upgradeable

And can buy games on Steam etc for $5-$10 on sale.

720p > Upscaled to 1080p > On a large 1080p 50" TV with terrible pixel density

51kVy.png

Oh my god this next-gen graphics looks AMAZING.

look at the shaders

CA-RIP, Cz up hoes down, bang these hoes out with my rounds.

*looks at Heavy Rain, then Last of Us, then Beyond: Two Souls in order*

Yeah, I do not think that is stretching it at ALLLLL.

look at the shaders

This.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

If you people just bash consoles because obviously you are so much better than the filthy peasants who play on consoles, why even bother posting topics like this? And you all say that story and gameplay matter more than graphics and talk shit about the next gen because they run at 720p to keep the action smooth...

If you people just bash consoles because obviously you are so much better than the filthy peasants who play on consoles, why even bother posting topics like this? And you all say that story and gameplay matter more than graphics and talk shit about the next gen because they run at 720p to keep the action smooth...

Because 720p upscaled to 1080p on a big screen TV (40"+) looks like poo smeared on a wall. So much so that I find it annoyingly hard to play. I just played Call of Duty Black Ops II with my nephew on a 46" TV. I know what I am talking about in regards to that.

Do not get me wrong. I am buying the PS4. I love Playstation because the original (1/X) is what got me into gaming (Crash Bandicoot, my game). I am just saying. Story and gameplay are more important than graphics, but that does not mean graphics are not important. 

I am a Playstation + member and own a PS3 as well. But I am a PC gamer primarily and know how crappy consoles can be. And how much of a difference there is between 720p30 and 1080p60.

There is too big of a difference for things like this to not irritate me. I likely will not buy a game if the story and gameplay are not good enough to make up for crappy graphics. Simply because I know it will bother me the entire time I play the game. 

And do note that FPS directly affects gameplay. Even resolution can (such as noticing someone in an FPS from far away rather than thinking they are a grain of dirt or a trash can or something). 

† Christian Member †