Games using incorrect graphics or am I seriously overestimating my laptop?

Zade_95
Go to solution Solved by TechGod,

Overestimating your laptop.

Hey all,

My laptop cannot play games very well. I know it's not the most powerful in the world, but the specs are okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy(ishnotreallynotterrible!)

I've been having a lot of driver issues with the stock HP windows image etc, and after reinstalling a clean windows and drivers it's gone from crashing on everything to actually playing. The thing is, it can't play almost any games very well!

Anything from new titles like Fallout 4 and Battlefront (Black Ops 3 suprising seems to work ok at low) to older games like Star Wars: Empire at War and even Hearthstone (!!) could be a bit faster when things get hectic. My question is am I somehow still misdirecting games to use the iGPU instead of the dedicated one, or am I just severly overestimating my laptop? Specs to follow.

AMD A6 6310 (R4 iGPU)

8GB Ram (Single Channel)

AMD R7 M260 1GB DDR3

SSD Boot Drive + 5200RPM Mechanical Storage

cheers!

Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming | Intel Core i5 7300HQ | 16GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GTX1050ti | Corsair Force LS 120GB | Crucial MX200 1TB | 6TB Seagate Barracuda

Acer 21" IPS | 15" in-built | Logitech MX Master | Das Keyboard 4C Ultimate | Windows 10 Pro

iPad Pro 10.5" 2017 | A10X | 4GB | 64GB | Silver | Silicone Cover

Huawei Mate 10 Pro | Kirin 970 | 6GB | 128GB | Mocha Brown | Dbrand Carbon Fibre Black Skin

You could run a benchmark such as 3DMark FireStrike to see how it performs and with that you can see what kind of desktop it compares with.. Which by that you can find the performance of that PC in those games to see if the fps you are getting in those games is right.

Buuuut, you're probably overestimating since it's not that amazing really. Try lowering your graphics settings too

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

There is no other GPU present in the system. It's integrated onto the APU's die(hence APU).

@Lukozade. It is actually a separate part from the APU. The discrete GPU in that laptop is just very weak.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

There is no other GPU present in the system. It's integrated onto the APU's die(hence APU).

Is this M260 not it's own die? I thought the APU part was the 6310+R4 gpu on the die

Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming | Intel Core i5 7300HQ | 16GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GTX1050ti | Corsair Force LS 120GB | Crucial MX200 1TB | 6TB Seagate Barracuda

Acer 21" IPS | 15" in-built | Logitech MX Master | Das Keyboard 4C Ultimate | Windows 10 Pro

Huawei Mate 10 Pro | Kirin 970 | 6GB | 128GB | Mocha Brown | Dbrand Carbon Fibre Black Skin

Fallout 4, sure, overestimation. But Battlefront only needs something a bit better than Battlefield 4's minimum specs to run fine.

Which is the funny part because FO4 runs around 10-15FPS on low, while battlefront is about 10FPS on ULTRA LOW (ie half resolution rendering from 1024*768). It's horrible!

You could run a benchmark such as 3DMark FireStrike to see how it performs and with that you can see what kind of desktop it compares with.. Which by that you can find the performance of that PC in those games to see if the fps you are getting in those games is right.

Buuuut, you're probably overestimating since it's not that amazing really. Try lowering your graphics settings too

That's a good idea, I'll do that after work.