Anyone know about Bonsai?

Maskot

I planted this Oak sapling in April and it's gone through it's summer growing stage, I know it'll take about 5 years until I can turn it into a beautiful little thing, which I'm fine with.  The only question that I can't find an answer to is, how do you prune the tree so that new branches grow? I want my tree to fork off into two even trunks about 1/3 the way up so that I can have more foliage options for the front and back along with a duo crown.  I posted elsewhere, but can't seem to get the response I'm looking for.

KgMt4or.jpg

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

I want pictures of it in 5 years.

You'll get them, I'll take some in spring when it grows acorns, maybe a miniature squirrel will come live in it.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/trunks.htm

All you'll need to know, my friend

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

All the info you need is HERE.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/trunks.htm

All you'll need to know, my friend

:DDDD thanks

You'll get them, I'll take some in spring when it grows acorns, maybe a miniature squirrel will come live in it.

I want this miniature squirrel you speak of.

I know a little bit about caring for them, best to read some guides and get on a dedicated forum.

From what I understand oaks are very difficult to do, and you will need to put in a lot of effort into reducing the leaf size and getting the shape you want.

I know a little bit about caring for them, best to read some guides and get on a dedicated forum.

From what I understand oaks are very difficult to do, and you will need to put in a lot of effort into reducing the leaf size and getting the shape you want.

I'll probably get some other trees in the meantime that are ready to go from a bush into a tree, over the next five years I should gain a lot of experience and then be able to handle the mighty task of making that oak turn from a 5 year old little tree into a 5 year old miniature artwork.

I'll probably get some other trees in the meantime that are ready to go from a bush into a tree, over the next five years I should gain a lot of experience and then be able to handle the mighty task of making that oak turn from a 5 year old little tree into a 5 year old miniature artwork.

Yeah its such a cool art form. Definitely work away on the oak, don't wanna put you off, just that mistakes now could cost you decades down the line to correct.

If you re looking for some others to do at the same time, perhaps something that's a little more mature from a nursery, I like those red Acer Palmatum and maybe try to get it cling to a rock or cascade it, but that's my own preference you might have something else in mind.

It's a life long thing though, would love to see pics of your progress, hopefully I'm still around then :)

you need to trim it at a node which is just above the leaf - you'll see alittle bump.

try look for two nodes, use CLEAN scissors/ pruner's to trim it as bonsai's can get sick easy.

also your pot looks abit big for a bonsai, with bonsai you want a shallow pot and every year you want to replace the soil and trim the roots.

if you want to give it any shape you will need to whine copper wire around it.

bonsai's also tend to get over watered, so a little water every day or so

let me know if you want suggestions - grew some bonsai's and I'm a Horticulturalist by trade

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I wanted my own bonsai for more than 1 year now and still haven't got or plant one yet. :)

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

you need to trim it at a node which is just above the leaf - you'll see alittle bump.

try look for two nodes, use CLEAN scissors to trim it as bonsai's can get sick easy.

also your pot looks abit big for a bonsai, with bonsai you want a shallow pot and every year you want to replace the soil and trim the roots.

if you want to give it any shape you will need to whine copper wire around it.

bonsai's also tend to get over watered, so a little water every day or so

let me know if you want suggestions - grew some bonsai's and I'm a Horticulturalist by trade

From what I gather from bonsai forums and tutorials on youtube and what not, I need to grow this bonsai in an even larger pot for about 5 years, get the trunk to about an inch thick or so, then take it out of the large pot, trim down the soil and root ball, remove as much of the soil as I can, and then plant it in bonsai soil, I just wanted to know how to make a second branch grow at a desired location, which you answered, thank you.  Do I just cut the node off and then a new branch will grow? Any sort of length I should be cutting it down to?

NO! cut above the node and the new growth will come from the node.

You will have to look up if oak saplings like being hard pruned or soft  - this will give you abetter idea where to prune in the future. basically some plants dont like it when you prune into the hard wood, since you aiming for a forked tree i would say lowish so i would say somewhere in that 2nd cluster of leafs going up the trunk.

make sure its got 6 -7 leaves.

As for the pot, yes your correct grow it in abit bigger pot to start off - but not too big you dont want a big tap root to form

NO! cut above the node and the new growth will come from the node.

You will have to look up if oak saplings like being hard pruned or soft  - this will give you abetter idea where to prune in the future. basically some plants dont like it when you prune into the hard wood, since you aiming for a forked tree i would say lowish so i would say somewhere in that 2nd cluster of leafs going up the trunk.

make sure its got 6 -7 leaves.

As for the pot, yes your correct grow it in abit bigger pot to start off - but not too big you dont want a big tap root to form

All of my what, so if I cut from above the node next to a leaf, it will most likely fork into two branches?  I'll do a bit more googling and reading, hopefully get the answer I want, you've been helpful either way.  I drew a little picture for what I think you're saying, is this how it works?

PC4UFBy.png

All of my what, so if I cut from above the node next to a leaf, it will most likely fork into two branches?  I'll do a bit more googling and reading, hopefully get the answer I want, you've been helpful either way.  I drew a little picture for what I think you're saying, is this how it works?

PC4UFBy.png

yes - but not all leafs will have 2 nodes so you might need to have acouple of goes before you get a even split. It's a good chance when you do cut it you will just get one new stem.

if that is the case let it grow for abit and redo it - same practice in theory of making a hedge

yes - but not all leafs will have 2 nodes so you might need to have acouple of goes before you get a even split. It's a good chance when you do cut it you will just get one new stem.

if that is the case let it grow for abit and redo it - same practice in theory of making a hedge

So this?  Now the question is, what time of year should I do this?

QYwfIbq.png

So this?  Now the question is, what time of year should I do this?

QYwfIbq.png

that depends on alot of things , doing it younger it will adapt better.

But since the USA is soon going to be going into winter I would be holding off for abit. I would prune near the end of winter so its ready for spring

that depends on alot of things , doing it younger it will adapt better.

But since the USA is soon going to be going into winter I would be holding off for abit. I would prune near the end of winter so its ready for spring

Okay, even though it won't ever get below 50 here, I'll still hold off until about march