Fake "Browser has been hijacked" pop up help

TheLeecheck
Go to solution Solved by Darkman,

Try running MalwareBytes while using Safe Mode.

@TheLeecheck. The number doesn't work anyways. I called and got the "Number not in service" message.

^ This, also run AVG too and go into its settings and check these under whole computer scan then run the scan.

post-7355-0-54508600-1448562096.png
So it looked something like this:

"You might be infected with adware / spyware virus

Call 1-866-928-0684 immediately. Fast assistance with removing viruses.

(Toll-FREE, High Priority Call Line)

What you must do:

More about the virus:

Seeing these pop-up’s means that you may have a virus installed on your computer which puts the security of your personal data at a serious risk. It’s strongly advised that you call the number above and get your computer fixed before you continue using your internet, especially for shopping

Possible Privacy Breach if virus not removed immediately:

Data exposed to risk:

1. Your credit card details and banking information

2. Your e-mail passwords and other account passwords

3. Your Facebook, Skype, AIM, ICQ and other chat logs

4. Your private photos, family photos and other sensitive files

5. Your webcam could be accessed remotely by stalkers with a VPN virus"

I had to go into task manager to close Chrome. Then I ran malwarebytes and it found nothing. I went on Chrome again and nothing happened. Anything I should do? Or should I just... move on???

It popped up when my dad tried to go on "starwars.com" and he got redirected to the Microsoft website with that pop up. It mentioned Comcast (my provider) too.

@TheLeecheck. The number doesn't work anyways. I called and got the "Number not in service" message.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Are you sure it was a Microsoft site? Sounds like a random scam. Just visiting some pages can popup stuff like that but it doesn't mean you are infected.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Did you try going to starwars.com since then? It could be a mitm attack with someone acting as a bogus dns server. Also, try adwcleaner.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Chrome is probably fucked up. Check and see if there's any suspicious extensions.

I did, nothing.

Yeah, same thing happened to my mom's laptop. First I switched her to Firefox instead of Internet Explorer, then I got her the newest Norton and ran a few scans. She has never got that message since.

Are you sure it was a Microsoft site? Sounds like a random scam. Just visiting some pages can popup stuff like that but it doesn't mean you are infected.

I don't know. The only reason it seemed like a scam is cause it didn't let me exit out or anything and some of the popup had like... scammy caps lock bullshit

http://imgur.com/IJumk4r

Heres the history

Yeah that "Microsoft Official support" looks more than a little fake.  I highly doubt microsoft's root path is "in.net"

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yeah that "Microsoft Official support" looks more than a little fake.  I highly doubt microsoft's root path is "in.net"

So would you recommend adwcleaner???

^ This, also run AVG too and go into its settings and check these under whole computer scan then run the scan.

post-7355-0-54508600-1448562096.png
Edited by Godlygamer23
Re-added image and created spoiler.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

It's a common tech support scam,the toll number is just some damn number that connect you to scammers who try to scam you out of your money.They are just posing as Microsoft/Google/Whatever to trick you and then when you connect them to your pc (Teamviewer) they do all kinds of stuff on it and show you common harmless errors to scare you