WAN Show Advice.

DaCoder

Twitch.tv is hosting the stream. The viewer count has absolutely no effect on Linus' upstream. Linus is simply streaming to Twitch's servers, who then provide the stream to we viewers.

I dare say there is a routing issue between Twitch's servers & Shaw for this to effect two different physical locations, but both using Shaw's pipes.

I don't believe they're being throttled.

But if i understood correctly, they had issues loading pages and stuff too...?

That is the best video ever made oh my god :) haha. But seriously they need to figure something out

over 140 people on this topic

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Ah, i will take note not to quote whole videos, sorry man.

I wasn't having a go at you just to be clear I didn't even notice you did it :D I just wish we could quote videos without them showing up so the video only showed up when it wasn't a quote and the same with images

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

If linus could move to a place where he can get NOVUS as their isp. Would be great with $102.95300Mbps/down15Mbps/up1,000GB/month as top non-business which is pretty good deal compared to Shaw and Telus, and also Novus is using Fibre optic network.
Novus business: 
$338.95300Mbps/down300Mbps/up2000GB/month. (best plan) 

It looks to me that it is a throttle, however, the fact that Shaw says it isn't them does speak a little against it. My question is, why throttle him so much? And so fast? It might also be a disconnection from Shaw. Oh btw, I had dial up with better service than this 6 years ago...

Car: 1994 Accord LX, 1978 280z

PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DaCoder/saved/#view=zZZhP6

But if i understood correctly, they had issues loading pages and stuff too...?

I didn't hear anything of the sort. There is absolutely no practical reason for them to single out whichever location Linus is streaming from, considering it is a paltry 720p stream and hosted on Twitch.tv's servers.

As others have said: quit being a hivemind and bashing shaw. No one has any idea (including linus) and everyone is making inferences right now. My inference is that there's a problem between Twitch's servers and Shaw. A simple tracert would determine where the bottleneck resides.

Intel 3960X @ 4.6GHz Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD64GX3M8A2133C9 64GB | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 2*ASUS PG279Q EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X | 2*Corsair Force GT 256GB in R0 [OS Drive] | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB [secondary Drive] Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 Raid 6 [8*4TB — Media Array] | PAN-UJ-235A Blu-Ray Slot Load | PAN-UJ-875A DVD Slot Load | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair H100i | Lian-Li PC-V2120X | LSI 9271-8i w/ Intel RES2SV240 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | Ducky Shine II [Cherry MX Brown / Blue LED]

If linus could move to a place where he can get NOVUS as their isp. Would be great with $102.95300Mbps/down15Mbps/up1,000GB/month as top non-business which is pretty good deal compared to Shaw and Telus, and also Novus is using Fibre optic network.

Novus business: $338.95300Mbps/down300Mbps/up2000GB/month. (best plan) 

So if you use more than 2000GB/month your internet will be shut down?

My thoughts:

1. Shaw's throttling is causing his show to seem unprofessional.

2. You need someone monitoring the stream

3. I respect Linus trying to do as much as he can but, you could add a whole different dimension to the show if you had equipment operators to back you up during technical difficulties and so that you guys don't waste your time talking to no one.

4. Linus, I've heard you mention your mom is a teacher. I am a teacher too. If you say the something is going to take place a certain time then make it happen, otherwise you run the risk of people developing negative views toward you.

Member 4250

So if you use more than 2000GB/month your internet will be shut down?

In their FAQ they state:

If you know that you will be using more than what Novus provides for your account type, you can add more bandwidth rather than upgrading your account. For $5, you can add 20 GB of data for that bill period."

http://www.novusnow.ca/support/adding-bandwidth/

My thoughts:

1. Shaw's throttling is causing his show to seem unprofessional.

2. You need someone monitoring the stream

3. I respect Linus trying to do as much as he can but, you could add a whole different dimension to the show if you had equipment operators to back you up during technical difficulties and so that you guys don't waste your time talking to no one.

4. Linus, I've heard you mention your mom is a teacher. I am a teacher too. If you say the something is going to take place a certain time then make it happen, otherwise you run the risk of people developing negative views toward you.

+1 on 1-3, 4: Linus is almost never late ;)

To the OP, I was just wondering, have you even tried streaming yourself?

I think the WAN Show setup is great and very convenient for them. We all know that they're limited by their ISP and not them, nor you can do anything once the ISPs start to muck things up.

I think the WAN Show setup is great and very convenient for them. We all know that they're limited by their ISP and not them, nor you can do anything once the ISPs start to muck things up.

New here, when you say OP, is that me?

New here, when you say OP, is that me?

yes it means original poster although I've never actually asked I just presumed :p

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

I have streamed myself, earlier on i said i had around 200 people watching. I went for about a year.

I just don't know why people feel so entitled to comment on these things when

1. it's common knowledge that it's not the guys fault but Shaw's.

2. the stream, and all youtube videos are frickin' free.

I just don't know why people feel so entitled to comment on these things when

1. it's common knowledge that it's not the guys fault but Shaw's.

2. the stream, and all youtube videos are frickin' free.

I am not badmouthing Linus, nor much of Shaw. And I am only giving some feedback on things in the stream that I have had fixes for myself. (Advice is maybe too strong a word)

Looks like Level3 are responsible for handling traffic between RISPs and Twitch.tv. Linus & co. should contact Twitch to see if there is a routing issue.

Intel 3960X @ 4.6GHz Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD64GX3M8A2133C9 64GB | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 2*ASUS PG279Q EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X | 2*Corsair Force GT 256GB in R0 [OS Drive] | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB [secondary Drive] Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 Raid 6 [8*4TB — Media Array] | PAN-UJ-235A Blu-Ray Slot Load | PAN-UJ-875A DVD Slot Load | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair H100i | Lian-Li PC-V2120X | LSI 9271-8i w/ Intel RES2SV240 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | Ducky Shine II [Cherry MX Brown / Blue LED]

Ah! I thought it was a mod reference. Thanks.

I can see why you thought that the first time I saw it I instantly thought of an OP being a mod 

Off topic, but quickly, how do i get the under your post text? Never figured that out.

its your signature change go to my settings and it will be one of the options :D