Ram usage not going above 50%-60%

brainlessgaming
Go to solution Solved by Matt420740,

They are in the black slots.

According to the user manual if you're only running two sticks use the red slots.    However what bothers me is that your machine appears to be idling in that screenshot yet is using over 7GB of ram.  When at idle I only see around 2.3GB in use.  Even during heavy loads and gaming do I rarely ever see 7GB in use, so using that much ram at idle is a concern.

Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with my computers ram. It seems that my computer's ram usage won't go above 50%. When it does, Windows 10 gives me a warning message saying "your memory is running low. Close some programs to save memory". If I don't close anything, applications will start crashing. Do you guys know what's going on?

And I'm pretty sure that I have the ram in the correct slots (though I could be wrong).

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula‑Z ROG  Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131876

Ram: G.SKILL TridentX Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400  Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231589&cm_re=16gb_ram_2400-_-20-231-589-_-Product

Thanks!

post-107531-0-06394500-1448428654.png

Keep Moving Forward

Can you take a pic of what RAM slots they're in?

Edit: One of your DIMMS may be faulty

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

Run MemTest86 to check if the ram size is actually usable as windows is displaying the amount correctly

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

I don't know if this could cause the problem or not, But have you messed around with your Pagefile? 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I don't know if this could cause the problem or not, But have you messed around with your Pagefile? 

dont know what that is

Keep Moving Forward

Can you take a pic of what RAM slots they're in?

Edit: One of your DIMMS may be faulty

Keep Moving Forward

dont know what that is

Then you haven't changed it.

Alrighty, I will find the door myself. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

According to the user manual if you're only running two sticks use the red slots.    However what bothers me is that your machine appears to be idling in that screenshot yet is using over 7GB of ram.  When at idle I only see around 2.3GB in use.  Even during heavy loads and gaming do I rarely ever see 7GB in use, so using that much ram at idle is a concern.

He might have a memory leak if that is windows 10 (can't tell if 10 or 8) as that is a common problem reported on the forums, he could still have one otherwise(if not 10) assuming he had a virus or a system error causing interrupts

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

He might have a memory leak if that is windows 10 (can't tell if 10 or 8) as that is a common problem reported on the forums, he could still have one otherwise(if not 10) assuming he had a virus or a system error causing interrupts

Good point.

OP, open task manager back up and instead of going to the performace tab go to processes, and tell what it says is using all that ram.

Good point.

OP, open task manager back up and instead of going to the performace tab go to processes, and tell what it says is using all that ram.

I changed the ram over to the red slots. Let me do a couple things to see what happens when the ram usage goes above 50%. As for my screenshot, I had chrome running with about 25 tabs, and I also had steam open. When I look at the "processes" tabs, it says google chrome is using most of it.

EDIT: I think you've fixed the problem! Now, even when the PC goes above 70% ram usage, the computer runs normally. Thanks guys for all of your help!

Keep Moving Forward