nvidia for cooler temps?

Mobilizer

did you try undervolting it?

Tried pretty much everything yeah, undervolting, reducing clock speed, reducing memory, it just wanted to run hot. Now im just gonna go with a 970, i tried getting a Sapphire card, but they are not used much around here, so they are very overpriced.

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

Tried pretty much everything yeah, undervolting, reducing clock speed, reducing memory, it just wanted to run hot. Now im just gonna go with a 970, i tried getting a Sapphire card, but they are not used much around here, so they are very overpriced.

Bad luck i guess. Sorry for your first experience with AMD being spoiled by a hot chip. Maybe next time :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

i've heard people say "go nvidia for cooler temps".

not a flippin clue what the answer to this is.

Well I'd try one of these for an answer:

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Bad luck i guess. Sorry for your first experience with AMD being spoiled by a hot chip. Maybe next time :D

Not to resurrect an "old" post, but my experience with AMD wasnt that bad, i was impressed with the performance, i just wanted something a little less noisy, 10 mins ago i installed the MSI GTX 970 i replaced my 390 with and there is a huge difference in both thermals and noise, my 390 at 20% fanspeed idled at 51 degrees, my 970 idles at 28 :) also the difference in fan noise from the 390 and 970 from MSI is huge, i cant hear the 970 before the fans reach 80%, the 390 sounded like a leaf blower at those speeds :)

I have no been so lucky with ASIC score, 390 @ 69 and my 970 now is at 68, but oh well, according to Jayztwocents ASIC is basically useless unless you do some hardcore overclocking.

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

Not to resurrect an "old" post, but my experience with AMD wasnt that bad, i was impressed with the performance, i just wanted something a little less noisy, 10 mins ago i installed the MSI GTX 970 i replaced my 390 with and there is a huge difference in both thermals and noise, my 390 at 20% fanspeed idled at 51 degrees, my 970 idles at 28 :) also the difference in fan noise from the 390 and 970 from MSI is huge, i cant hear the 970 before the fans reach 80%, the 390 sounded like a leaf blower at those speeds :)

I have no been so lucky with ASIC score, 390 @ 69 and my 970 now is at 68, but oh well, according to Jayztwocents ASIC is basically useless unless you do some hardcore overclocking.

I think you might have had the same thing happen to you that happened to Tiny Tom Logan from OC3D - his sample was taken apart and there was no thermal paste. That's a possibility with MSI apparently so you might have just ben extremely unlucky and gotten a review sample of some sort.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I think you might have had the same thing happen to you that happened to Tiny Tom Logan from OC3D - his sample was taken apart and there was no thermal paste. That's a possibility with MSI apparently so you might have just ben extremely unlucky and gotten a review sample of some sort.

Seems unlkely, i was probably just unlucky with a hot running chip, when it comes to hardware im always pretty unlucky :) Happy with the 970 atleast and so far it has pretty much no coil whine, just a little buzzing, but that most likely just due to my PSU that needs changing. Done a "mild" overclock and my 970 is already running 1518 on the core and 2000 on the memory, all that while keeping the card at 66-70 degrees at 1000rpm :o

Seems unlkely, i was probably just unlucky with a hot running chip, when it comes to hardware im always pretty unlucky :) Happy with the 970 atleast and so far it has pretty much no coil whine, just a little buzzing, but that most likely just due to my PSU that needs changing. Done a "mild" overclock and my 970 is already running 1518 on the core and 2000 on the memory, all that while keeping the card at 66-70 degrees at 1000rpm :o

As a temperature Nazi I find those temps unacceptable. That calls for at least two more case fans, and a pony. No idea what the pony is for.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

As a temperature Nazi I find those temps unacceptable. That calls for at least two more case fans, and a pony. No idea what the pony is for.

Those temps in my Trooper case which tends to gasp for air im fine with, hoping to see a case go on sale here in Denmark at midnight, alot of stores do a black friday sale, alot of crappy deals, but still hoping to maybe find a case, psu and ssd cheaper.

Those temps in my Trooper case which tends to gasp for air im fine with, hoping to see a case go on sale here in Denmark at midnight, alot of stores do a black friday sale, alot of crappy deals, but still hoping to maybe find a case, psu and ssd cheaper.

Not sure if it translates to Nvidia but my Radeons all love air brought up from the bottom of the case, so watch for fan placements in the bottom of the case. If I turn off that bottom fan my temps jump up by 10c.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Not sure if it translates to Nvidia but my Radeons all love air brought up from the bottom of the case, so watch for fan placements in the bottom of the case. If I turn off that bottom fan my temps jump up by 10c.

Got my case on nice cold hardwood floor, but there is no room for fans in the bottom of the trooper or in the front, which is why im so looking forward to getting rid of it. Crossing my fingers that the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M or just Pro go on sale, or maybe even the Master Case Pro, could justify buying that, but at normal cost it just doesnt seem worth it.