HTPC for my dad

Streamline

My dad wanted a HTPC so I built him one! Looks nice in the cabinet and does its job rather quietly. I could probably have done better when choosing parts, because for one I didn't do my research and believed Alternate's website that the GD05 only supports M-ITX boards and not M-ATX too, with which I could've saved a bit of money while getting more functions, the Noctua cooler ended up being a lot smaller that I thought it would be and the CPU might be a poor choice because the GPU part is too much and in combination with the CPU it produces too much heat: ~45°C idle and up to 60°C under load, even after being underclocked to 2.5Ghz and 1.35V, though that is in the closed cabinet where it can't get much fresh air (note that in the pictures the cabinet is open). The only complaint I'd have about any of the parts is the motherboard which only has three fan headers (CPU1+2 and one chassis fan) and that it has parts that stick out from the PCB on the backside of the CPU socket, which doesn't allow the backplate of the cooler to be completely flat and maybe makes for uneven pressure on the CPU (and also maybe makes the temperatures worse, I have to investigate a bit here, maybe cut the backplate in two or make holes where these little chips stick out). The case is awesome and looks very clean. The SSD is just for OS and basic software. All of the media is being streamed from a NAS that is downstairs in the basement.

Partlist:

• CPU: AMD A6-5400k
  • Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75M-ITX R2.0 
  • Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a
  • Memory: Kingston Blu 1x4Gb 1600Mhz
  • Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 32GB SSD
  • PSU: bequiet! Pure Power L8 300W
  • Case: Silverstone GD05

Pictures:

Parts
nJc1XeL.jpg

dlB5NcS.jpg

I wish I had a micro lense to take better close-up shots

9cjGLLL.jpg

1KOfN2Q.jpg

The packaging is so nice

DrWQcye.jpg

XVHKugY.jpg

Finished looks inside

iwF0Bn9.jpg

In its natural habitat

oHmKxVv.jpg

xmBT4bB.jpg

Aaaaah

QQAKEDg.jpg

Put some pants on! Lol

gaming is best done without pants

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

Awesome!! The GD05 Looks great with your setup

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300, MSI GTX 560TI Twin Frozr 2, 2x500GB drives, cheapo 500w PSU, cheapo HP Pavilion Elite m9000 case
#KilledMyWife

Looks stunning! The lighting compliments it perfectly.

Nicely done.

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

You can probably drop the Voltage a bit more, my friends 5600K is running at 1.28 fully stable at stock frequency.

Other than that very nice build.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Put some pants on! Lol

Shorts!

You can probably drop the Voltage a bit more, my friends 5600K is running at 1.28 fully stable at stock frequency.

Other than that very nice build.

I see. It came stock with 1.45V actually, dropped it to 1.35 when I went down to 2.5Ghz, but I'm going to experiment a bit more when I get the time. 

I have the same keyboard :)

What's the name of that keyboard?

first off WOW that screen.

how come you didn't go for a smaller case? 

first off WOW that screen.

how come you didn't go for a smaller case? 

I personally wanted to get the Cooltek Coolcube Mini, but my dad wanted a blueray drive, and the Cooltek doesn't even have a slot for a slim ODD. Other options didn't look as good or came with a built in PSU, which I have used before and the experience was not good.

That set-up is absolutely amazing mate!

That TV is beautiful.

Any monitor mounted to the wall looks beautiful, believe me. As soon as you get rid of that stand it looks professional and clean. 

Put some LEDs behind it and it looks even better. 

I gotta say the setup is totally sweet....Super clean pictures

Dedicated DSLR? or Mobile Camera?

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

That looks really slick there, and I love that SilverStone case so much.. It really does look nice enough that it doesn't need to be hidden away, but instead showcased!

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

The build is good but that lighting around the TV is soooo sexy

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

I gotta say the setup is totally sweet....Super clean pictures

Dedicated DSLR? or Mobile Camera?

DSLR, shot in RAW format and retouched in Photoshop. 

I personally wanted to get the Cooltek Coolcube Mini, but my dad wanted a blueray drive, and the Cooltek doesn't even have a slot for a slim ODD. Other options didn't look as good or came with a built in PSU, which I have used before and the experience was not good.

could have fit it with in a silverstone ml04 which is much thinner.

or even a silverstone ml05 and used a SSF psu 

Very well done looks very clean and nice.

I'm going to make a htpc to with an old i3 and a hd5570. But i am still waiting on the fractal design node 304 white.

CPU: i5-3570K GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Vapor OC MOBO: Asus P8Z77-M RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 16GB. PSU: Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7 rev 2 

SSD: 1x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB, 1x Crucial M4 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB