Microsoft's new Android app will try to convince you to switch to Windows Phone

AlTech

So that's good? Means it isn't a monopoly or close to one. I know a lot of people that dislike android as a platform and prefer iOS. Even if they dislike apple as a company. Windows on the other hand.. Idk. Its like IE.. They won't give it a shot lol

My wife loves her windows phone. Its a great phone experience for people who aren't power users or children that want to tinker because they have nothing better to do.

Which is most of the world.

Personally that is why I have my eyes on the Windows Phone. I already tinker and is a power user at work and home. I don't want another device to break my head. I just want it to be simple to use, works, be problem free, and offers me a good user experience. Hopefully, it will deliver on that.. at least ~99% of the time (I understand 100% bug free complex software is impossible... well I should know that, I am a software developer :P )

My wife loves her windows phone. Its a great phone experience for people who aren't power users or children that want to tinker because they have nothing better to do.

Which is most of the world.

This is why in Microsoft's ADs, if they show people using their phones. they show average people who just need a simple Smart Phone LOL.

I've seen all sorts, from Construction workers to Chefs, to Office workers. Also a lot of Windows Phone users live in Europe.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

It took 2 years but Microsoft is fighting back against  that ugly, disgusting Monopoly which is Google.

Google is an ugly disgusting monopoly indeed. However IMO Microsoft should fight against another ugly disgusting thing first, and that's their own UI.

Google is an ugly disgusting monopoly indeed. However IMO Microsoft should fight against another ugly disgusting thing first, and that's their own UI.

Hey! Windows PHone looks absolutely beautiful and sexy!

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I just tried the app, its suggestions are pretty poor IMO(compared to the apps I actually use on WP). It seems to pick the apps based on popularity and "general function", rather than actual functionality. This app would steer me away from WP if I was considering it.

I have a Windows Phone...

Why does everyone hate OneDrive? What's wrong with it? It's integrated in both my Windows 10 OS and my Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview, and works flawlessly...

Apps? Yeah a lot of popular games don't exist (or are bugged/outdated), but there's a few gems in there that might even be better than Android/iOS.

Other than that I have everything I need: Outlook for mail, Outlook for calendar, WhatsApp, Microsoft Edge for browsing (... fine it's pretty bad, but atleast it supports custom search engines now), the default weather app is fine, of course the Office suite can be useful (to read school documents), there's Speedtest.net which is very important and navigating works like a charm with Here maps.

Some popular games/apps exist: Bad Piggies, Blocked in, Coin Dozer, Doodle Jump, Draw Something, Facebook, Instagram, Flow, Hill Climb Racing, Jetpack Joyride (although outdated), Temple Run 2 (outdated and extremely buggy, infinite powerups...)... Those are all the ones I installed anyway!

I like Windows as an OS, really useful for student/business stuff, fast, updated and (considering it's a beta/preview) pretty bug-free.

Did I mention you can explore all your files on the phone without using a 3rd party browser?

I have a Windows Phone...

Why does everyone hate OneDrive? What's wrong with it? It's integrated in both my Windows 10 OS and my Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview, and works flawlessly...

Apps? Yeah a lot of popular games don't exist (or are bugged/outdated), but there's a few gems in there that might even be better than Android/iOS.

Other than that I have everything I need: Outlook for mail, Outlook for calendar, WhatsApp, Microsoft Edge for browsing (... fine it's pretty bad, but atleast it supports custom search engines now), the default weather app is fine, of course the Office suite can be useful (to read school documents), there's Speedtest.net which is very important and navigating works like a charm with Here maps.

Some popular games/apps exist: Bad Piggies, Blocked in, Coin Dozer, Doodle Jump, Draw Something, Facebook, Instagram, Flow, Hill Climb Racing, Jetpack Joyride (although outdated), Temple Run 2 (outdated and extremely buggy, infinite powerups...)... Those are all the ones I installed anyway!

I like Windows as an OS, really useful for student/business stuff, fast, updated and (considering it's a beta/preview) pretty bug-free.

Did I mention you can explore all your files on the phone without using a 3rd party browser?

That's why I like windows phone. Eveybody hating on windows phone should read that 

Sick of people flaming Windows mobile OS as "crap". It's not android, get over it.

Personally, I found it to be logical, intuituve and easy as fuck to use. It also NEVER EVER EVER EVER lags or crashes. For that reason alone it's a better "phone" than any other OS. It just works when you need it to.

The only thing I found lacking, really, was the apps. There are limited company apps (IMDB, eBay etc.) but the one's that annoyed me most were the apps that I actually needed - scheduler apps, weather etc. there just isnt the range that the App store and Play store have. 

Other than that, tho, I daresay that Android and iOS can learn a thing or two from Windows phone - namely, how to run so damn smooth.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

I think it is easy to see this is an Android bias forum...

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Tried it, ended being disappointed. It listed 1/3 or even 1/4 of my apps for which it found alternatives, others like they don't exist.

Quick thought, it you are trying to convince people to switch to your platform with an app you might make it fully functional. This is just a laugh atm.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

That's why I like windows phone. Eveybody hating on windows phone should read that

I think the problem is is that there is a lot of miss conception on the OS. And people just say things without actually looking and experiencing it.

One thing I believe (100% speculation by me), is that the Lumia 950 / 950 XL is a beta test of technologies for the 'Surface Phone'. The heatsink, Continuum, and the fact that in a tweet, at a question about supporting Win32 programs, the response by a high profile MS employee was "we are looking into it", suggests me that, the next Windows phone, the 'Surface phone' will be powered by an Intel or AMD x86 CPU. Still running Windows 10 Mobile, but it will run under continuum, which will be more powerful by then (window mode).

That is my guess. It is reinforced by Satya interview comment which says that the Lumia 950 / 950 XL was designed for Windows Phone fans. A perfect target market to have a community to test and provide feedback for the 'Surface Phone'.

I think the problem is is that there is a lot of miss conception on the OS. And people just say things without actually looking and experiencing it.

One thing I believe (100% speculation by me), is that the Lumia 950 / 950 XL is a beta test of technologies for the 'Surface Phone'. The heatsink, Continuum, and the fact that in a tweet, at a question about supporting Win32 programs, the response by a high profile MS employee was "we are looking into it", suggests me that, the next Windows phone, the 'Surface phone' will be powered by an Intel or AMD x86 CPU. Still running Windows 10 Mobile, but it will run under continuum, which will be more powerful by then (window mode).

That is my guess. It is reinforced by Satya interview comment which says that the Lumia 950 / 950 XL was designed for Windows Phone fans. A perfect target market to have a community to test and provide feedback for the 'Surface Phone'.

I think WP has always been a test platform, the make dramatic UI changes with updates and they give features that usually aren't given(like the ##3282# menu).

I think WP has always been a test platform, the make dramatic UI changes with updates and they give features that usually aren't given(like the ##3282# menu).

I guess. But it is the only time I see Microsoft being serious with the platform. Windows Phone 7 was a disaster of miss management supposed to use Windows 7 kernel, mentioned that Windows CE was no good. Picks: Windows CE.

Windows Phone 8 is based on Windows 8 kernel, great! but not much effort in trying to catch up, so it was released with 'no apps' (as Windows Phone 7 apps didn't work, if I am not mistaken), and was 3 years too late in feature set. I mean it was already late to start with. Android, and iOS got massively better. Sure, 8.1 and with Denim update really catch things up.

I guess. But it is the only time I see Microsoft being serious with the platform. Windows Phone 7 was a disaster of miss management supposed to use Windows 7 kernel, mentioned that Windows CE was no good. Picks: Windows CE.

Windows Phone 8 is based on Windows 8 kernel, great! but not much effort in trying to catch up, so it was released with 'no apps' (as Windows Phone 7 apps didn't work, if I am not mistaken), and was 3 years too late in feature set. I mean it was already late to start with. Android, and iOS got massively better. Sure, 8.1 and with Denim update really catch things up.

Yeah, I remember the WP 8 days when you couldn't disable auto rotate or close apps(among other essential things), lol. I'm glad those days are over.

The "##3282#" menu is actually pretty standard stuff. iOS and most Android phones got a field test menu too, along with other tests accessible from the dialer.

Sick of people flaming Windows mobile OS GNU/Liunx as "crap". It's not android, get over it.

Personally, I found it to be logical, intuitive and easy as fuck to use. It also NEVER EVER EVER EVER lags or crashes. For that reason alone it's a better "phone" computer than any other OS. It just works when you need it to.

The only thing I found lacking, really, was the apps. There are limited company apps (IMDB, eBay etc.) but the one's that annoyed me most were the apps that I actually needed - scheduler apps, weather etc. there just isnt the range that the App store and Play store have. 

Other than that, tho, I daresay that Android Windows and iOS OS X can learn a thing or two from Windows phone GNU/Linux - namely, how to run so damn smooth.

I think it is so funny that Windows Phone users are currently doing the exact same thing GNU/Linux users have been doing for years, and you look just as desperate as they have looked. Telling the average Joe to use Windows Phone makes about as much sense as telling them to use GNU/Linux as well. Why abandon all the things they are currently using and relearn a new OS when what they are using right now works fine?

On top of that, Windows Phone is pretty horrible for power users as well. It just doesn't please anyone except a very small and vocal minority.

How many times are you going to believe them when they say they are "serious"? They said they were serious all throughout the development of Windows Phone 8 as well, and I heard exactly the same bullshit of "no give it a chance, Microsoft is totally serious about it this time" back then as well. You might like getting spat in the face over and over by Microsoft but I don't.

Edit: Here, listen to this podcast from mid 2013. Just the first 5 minutes should be enough. Brian was complaining about Microsoft saying they were going to be serious about WP back then (referring to WP7) and nothing has changed since then. So Microsoft have been talking about being serious with WP for 3-4 years now, and barely anything has changed.

I agree, I even mentioned this myself in another thread.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

The "##3282#" menu is actually pretty standard stuff. iOS and most Android phones got a field test menu too, along with other tests accessible from the dialer.

It has some neat tricks like being able to choose specific network bands, which I haven't really seen with other phones.

IWyZOMM.png

It has some neat tricks like being able to choose specific network bands, which I haven't really seen with other phones.

Seems like Samsung has changed the code on the Galaxy S 4. You used to be able to select which bands to use by dialing *#*#4636#*#*.

I can't be assed to find the new code. The code will vary from phone to phone though, which can be a bit annoying.

How many times are you going to believe them when they say they are "serious"? They said they were serious all throughout the development of Windows Phone 8 as well, and I heard exactly the same bullshit of "no give it a chance, Microsoft is totally serious about it this time" back then as well. You might like getting spat in the face over and over by Microsoft but I don't.

I never heard Microsoft being serious about Windows Phone. This claim is my observation.

Windows 10 Mobile is the first Windows phone, where I go.. you know what.. it looks mature. It looks complete. It looks like Microsoft will release updates via the Insider program. Now I could be completely wrong. But, hey, companies is willing pay any phone I want in full with the company plan. So might as well get a phone I'll not be able to get as it out of contract. So I'll try and I'll see. Beside, the Lumia 950 XL is to me, the best phone that fits my needs. No other Android phone or iPhone fits nicely the features I am looking from a phone. I have done extensive research, and the downsides while sucky, doesn't affect me.

I think it is so funny that Windows Phone users are currently doing the exact same thing GNU/Linux users have been doing for years, and you look just as desperate as they have looked. Telling the average Joe to use Windows Phone makes about as much sense as telling them to use GNU/Linux as well. Why abandon all the things they are currently using and relearn a new OS when what they are using right now works fine?

On top of that, Windows Phone is pretty horrible for power users as well. It just doesn't please anyone except a very small and vocal minority.

the amazing double standard! that gave me a good laugh too. just like how google has a terrible monopoly

It took 2 years but Microsoft is fighting back against  that ugly, disgusting Monopoly which is Google.

but i bet it's no big deal when MS has an actual, real monopoly in the desktop market share

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I have found the WP series to quite interesting.

Though the lack of sh!tty apps is a plus I am not worried to much about how many available apps are as a selling point. I am a power user (business wise) and found the WP to very functional as a business tool. If I wanted to play games I will go get onto my pc, WP has a fully integrated set of Office tools that neither Android nor iOS has (had, up till very recently).

Lumia Phones have had the best cameras built-in to date and some of the best built in features for a phone, granted after MS bought up the Lumia Phone they had some budget phones made but for the price the phones are very well built. For crying out loud I am no fan boy here, I use what works and I require ease of use, smooth, secure, non-faulty equipment. The Windows Phone (for me) has been exactly that. Now I have used all the version of Windows phone 6/7/7.1/7.2/7.5/8/8.1 and I will say that though MS was not focused on the Windows Phone development for general use but it seemed to me to be a power user / business model type of phone and In my opinion a strong competitor to what BlackBerry was.

Those that have mentioned that the WP is not a power user phone is misled / misinformed. I have found the WP to be a very strong platform that is greatly underestimated. With the introduction of the continuum I have strong confidence of the capabilities of the new phone and I am glad to see MS taking a stronger interest in producing a phone OS for general population use.

I do blame Satya's predecessor for the lack in focused development WP should have received.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

This thread, actually, every thread having windows phone has subject baffles my mind, every time people going on and on about how android is unintuitive, sometimes tossing even iOS on that bin, saying how much WP is more secure and stable and how android is more laggy and broken, reading every post on and on and on ever since i came back in this forum during summer cuz heat and boredom.

I have to ask what so unintuitive and hard on android? Is it figuring it that an icon depicting a dialer is what makes the phones call? or that an icon with two text bubbles represent messaging? maybe that play store icon does directly make you think of an app store? or is the first setup when you first turn on the device that hard to understand with all those opt-out option you're force decide if leave be or actually opt-out of them, being asked to connect to a wifi network and to tap with a previous android device to port all important info to the new one? Or maybe is it the fact that for every new extension the system prompts you too choose a default application to deal with it? or maybe the widget taking so much place on the screen just to tell you time and weather with no clear indication on how to remove it?

And the lag, all the lag grand majority of android user living the terrible lag cause no way those low end phones can run it properly and yet android has such low spec requirements. Security is a definitive problem when everyone has the inept ability to side load apps by just picking an android device. And obviously the bad interface, such an awful app drawer that doesn't show you letters when ordering apps alphabetically, the terrible homescreen that put widgets and app shortcuts on the same screen, the lazy notification tray that forcefully and distinctively tells you what app requires your attention, the quick toggles pane that gives you big toggles to turn on and off stuff on the fly.

Seriously is all that really bad and hard to do?

My personal opinion: it's clear that i'm an heavy android user, that i spend days searching for roms that suite my needs and stick with them for less than a month, that i never use google´s services and only go for the AOSP flavors, that i sideload my apps cause i don't want to use a google account... i like to do it this way cause it gives me power and decisions and actually makes me feel like a power user something i never felt with the 920, and by my experience with it, it felt even more restrictive than iOS. You guys are free to prove me wrong if you want and just to prove that i ain't some guy from the internet claiming to have all platforms here's a pic:

IMG_20151124_023426.jpg

925 box is only there to show that i gave WP more than a chance throughout this 4 yearsIMG_0975.JPG

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Apple sells less than 20% of smartphones on the market. yet they make 92% of the profits. every other company is struggling to break even.

how is this a monopoly?

source: http://www.wsj.com/articles/apples-share-of-smartphone-industrys-profits-soars-to-92-1436727458

That's usually what happens when you sell a product for a premium much higher then your competition just because of a brand name. I'm not saying Apple phones are bad but I dont think they package as much as other phones for the same pricetag.