Microsoft's new Android app will try to convince you to switch to Windows Phone

AlTech

This thread, actually, every thread having windows phone has subject baffles my mind, every time people going on and on about how android is unintuitive, sometimes tossing even iOS on that bin, saying how much WP is more secure and stable and how android is more laggy and broken, reading every post on and on and on ever since i came back in this forum during summer cuz heat and boredom.

There isn't many threads. I think there was ~4 and mostly recently together due to the announcement of the Lumia 950 / 950XL.

I have to ask what so unintuitive and hard on android? Is it figuring it that an icon depicting a dialer is what makes the phones call?

or that an icon with two text bubbles represent messaging? maybe that play store icon does directly make you think of an app store? or is the first setup when you first turn on the device that hard to understand with all those opt-out option you're force decide if leave be or actually opt-out of them, being asked to connect to a wifi network and to tap with a previous android device to port all important info to the new one? Or maybe is it the fact that for every new extension the system prompts you too choose a default application to deal with it? or maybe the widget taking so much place on the screen just to tell you time and weather with no clear indication on how to remove it?

I don't find it unintuitive. I can only speak for myself, of course. But, I find Android a bit annoying to use. Icons don't provide information on what is going on. You need to check the notification center section, or start the app. Even iOS now has some sort of notification on the app icons. Yes you have widgets. But do you have one for every app? No. The phone is missing apps that you need to dig deeply in the Play Store to find, such a note taking software, which coincidentally is NOT called Notepad... but rather a name that no one thinks about: Keep, as an example. It doesn't have a file system either. It is an extra app that you need to get. I have installed apps, and the ads are SO ANNOYING. Flashing all the time, some are flickering like a strobe light, with 'WARNING WARNING. You have a Virus!', crap ads. Yes you can report the ad, but instead of Google showing you another ad, NO it shows you more the same.

And the lag, all the lag grand majority of android user living the terrible lag cause no way those low end phones can run it properly and yet android has such low spec requirements. Security is a definitive problem when everyone has the inept ability to side load apps by just picking an android device. And obviously the bad interface, such an awful app drawer that doesn't show you letters when ordering apps alphabetically, the terrible homescreen that put widgets and app shortcuts on the same screen, the lazy notification tray that forcefully and distinctively tells you what app requires your attention, the quick toggles pane that gives you big toggles to turn on and off stuff on the fly.

Seriously is all that really bad and hard to do?

Oh man. I know people with 800$ Android phones. Samsung Galaxie's all versions. When I point that, they say "no no no, it is super smooth! You don't know what you are talking about!", then they show me, and oh man. If 15-20fps experience is "smooth", then I don't know what to say. It crawl when you start the turn by turn navigation. It is super smooth on iOS. Some have these animated backgrounds, and it goes at 20fps. Please.

Android security has already talked a lot on this forum, and it is simply not good. Google doesn't seem to be serious about it, and loves washing it hands with excuses. Manufactures refusing to update the phone because you didn't get the highest end model and also, just happened to be in bad luck that it wasn't hugely popular to get 2 years support for a now and then releases of Android. And Google doing nothing to stop making carriers to stop blocking update release. It is sad to see Android with Anti-Virus. It is a phone, closed eco system, but you can catch a virus from surfing the web without knowing, because of some security issue in Chrome.

My personal opinion: it's clear that i'm an heavy android user, that i spend days searching for roms that suite my needs and stick with them for less than a month, that i never use google´s services and only go for the AOSP flavors, that i sideload my apps cause i don't want to use a google account... i like to do it this way cause it gives me power and decisions and actually makes me feel like a power user something i never felt with the 920, and by my experience with it, it felt even more restrictive than iOS. You guys are free to prove me wrong if you want and just to prove that i ain't some guy from the internet claiming to have all platforms here's a pic:

And that is the problem. Why are you searching for ROMs? And I get this a lot from many Android users I talk to. To me it means that the OS sucks, as you try to seek for something else. And sometimes I go out with friends and they ask someone to take a picture for them or complain that the phone only vibrates now, or some problem, because they installed this ROM thing, and spend the whole week-end, and I don't know what, and it has issues.

The phone should JUST WORK. And that doesn't help me open to like Android. Why can it just work?

I don't find it unintuitive. I can only speak for myself, of course. But, I find Android a bit annoying to use. Icons don't prove information on what is going on. You need to check the notification center section, or start the app. Even iOS now has some sort of notification on the app icons. Yes you have widgets. But do you have one for every app? No. The phone is missing apps, that you need to dig deeply in the Play Store to find, such a note taking software, which coincidentally is NOT called Notepad... but rather a name that no one thinks about: Keep, as an example. It doesn't have a file system either. It is an extra app that you need to get. I have installed apps, and the ads are SO ANNOYING. Flashing all the time, some are flickering like a strobe light, with 'WARNING WARNING. You have a Virus!', crap ads. Yes you can report the ad, but instead of Google showing you another ad, NO it shows you more the same.

Oh man. I know people with 800$ Android phones. Samsung Galaxie's all versions. When I point that, they say "no no no, it is super smooth! I don't know what I am talking about!", then they show me, and oh man. If 15-20fps experience is "smooth", then I don't know what to say. It crawl when you start the turn by turn navigation. It is super smooth on iOS. Some have these animated backgrounds, and it goes at 20fps. Please.

Android security has already talked a lot on this forum, and it is simply not good. Google doesn't seem to be serious about it, and loves washing it hands with excuses. Manufactures refusing to update the phone because you didn't get the highest end model and also, just happened to be in good luck that it is hugely popular to get 2 years support of now and then releases of Android. And Google doing nothing to stop making carriers to stop blocking update release. It is sad to see Android with Anti-Virus. It is a phone, closed eco system, but you can catch a virus from surfing the web without knowing, because of some security issue in Chrome.

And that is the problem. Why are you searching for ROMs? And I get this a lot from many Android users I talk to. To me it means that the OS sucks, you try to seek for something. And sometimes I go out with friends and they ask someone to take a picture for them or complain that the phone only vibrates now, or some problem, because they installed this ROM thing, and spend the whole week-end, and I don't know what.

The phone should JUST WORK. And that makes me stay away from Android. Why can it just work?

I could not have said this better. (not for lack of trying of course)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER