ASUS RoG Swift PG278Q

TacoDreams

This is my first actual post, so please bear with me, lol

Anyways, I plan on building my first PC soon & with the hardware that I've chosen so far (Subject to Change) I'm looking for a good G-Sync, 1440p, 144hz monitor that won't make me have to sell my car to afford.

I came across Linus' review on it & I liked it. I did a little more research & I found that there is a long list problems that people are having with this monitor.

The main reason I started this thread was because this specific monitor is on sale on newegg & I'm not sure If I should buy it now, or possibly find something better?

So the question I have is, does anyone have any experience with this monitor &/or other suggestions for another monitor?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405&cm_re=asus_rog_swift_pg278q-_-24-236-405-_-Product

I am also interested in this, as I also have been thinking about getting this monitor and saw it is on sale at Newegg.

I realize I'm not adding anything to this thread other than the same interest.

i have the monitor and its great but i already rma one of them after the screen died but the new one works fine so i think they got their quality control problems fixed 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

@Lays

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Its a panel lottery. You might get a good one or you might get one with problems, and if it is good initially there might be other problems down the line, which means you then have to deal with ASUS's horrible warranty service.

Read the bad review listed on newegg and they mention having to pay to RMA it, sending it to ASUS in the original packaging, then ASUS returning it in some crappy used box they literally had to BREAK the monitor stand getting the monitor into the box. That actually sounds like the same experience I had with an asus laptop I had to RMA. I paid for shipping, they returned it in a well used ill fitting box with holes in it and like one layer or bubble wrap, the screen that worked fine before now flickered badly, and the original problem they supposedly fixed popped up a week later again(rendering it completely non usable). It was pretty obvious who ever all handled and "fixed" it it didn't give the slightest shit.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

I pre-ordered this monitor as soon as tftcentral reviewed it. Received it finally in September 2014. Immediately I had problems with the image splitting vertically which was the monitor reducing the colour quality down from 4:4:4 in order to save bandwidth. The gsync module seemed to be crashing and restarting and when it did the PC detected the loss of momentary sync and would reduce the colour quality, and it looks terrible. Worse was the fact you had to completely restart the computer to restore it. I had other issues with colour and brightness across different monitors but this core problem of the image splitting vertically was present in all of the Swifts I received.

In total from September to January I had 5 monitors. The RMA process was relatively painless, I rang them up they told me they didn't have any monitors and then a while later they would send me a packing slip I would arrange a day for pickup and a guy would turn up and take it away and give me a replacement there and then. It didn't cost me anything and it worked pretty well.

But in all the replacements I never got one that actually worked. On the same system I now have a PG279Q, the IPS swift successor and its not had the same problem. There is a singular colour shift in the lower right as all these particular monitors have and it also has a little bit of IPS glow but overall its much better colour quality than the PG278Q and in addition its not infuriatingly broken all the time.