[Rumor?] Steam dropping daily and flash sales for Autumn and Winter Sales

rcarteraz

The report comes from the Steamworks developer group, which was picked up on Reddit, where a message was posted discussing the upcoming sales events. According to the message, it appears Flash and Daily Sales will not be returning to these two particular sales.

“In past sale events, we’ve asked for two discounts—a duration discount that runs for the length of the sale, and a feature discount that runs in the event that a game is featured on the front page,” the statement reads. “This year, to optimize the sale for customers and to allow us to feature and recommend your products in more ways to more customers, we’re asking for just one discount, to run the length of the sale.”

Source #1:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/92219/steam-autumn-and-winter-sale-2015-dates-reportedly-revealed-lacking-flash-and-daily-sales

Source #2:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/upcoming-steam-fall-and-winter-sales-will-drop-dai/1100-6432468/

Still no official word from Valve and more than likely won't be until they unviel the sale next week. Personally, I'm okay with this. Means I won't have to check steam as often during the sale. Hopefully it means overall better deals that are available the entire duration so you don't miss out. Your thoughts?

Update: Wanted to add this. It's apparently the message obtained by Eurogamer from Valve.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-20-no-flash-or-daily-deals-during-steam-autumn-winter-sales

Still no official word from Valve.

"We'll still be highlighting your top games on the front page for 24-48 hour spans, but those products will stay at their most competitive discount, before and after being featured," Valve wrote. "It's not a major change, but it does make the sale a lot more valuable for customers, and it allows us to build sale features that recommend your product all sale long, instead of just during its front page feature."

Eh, I couldn't really care either way as steam is something I try to avoid, if a game is available through say GOG, i'll buy it there, and if only on steam, I buy it on sites that sell steam codes for cheap, or adorn ye black flags.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

If this is true Valve can go to hell.

I only buy games during sales if they're on daily or flash.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I don't care the games on daily deals and flash sales are awful.

If this is true Valve can go to hell.

I only buy games during sales if they're on daily or flash.

They're not removing flash or daily sales, they're removing the 2 tier discount so the games are at one price for the duration of the sale. 

It means people who buy a game that 24 hours later goes on a flash sale for cheaper aren't going to hammer the refund service so they can save a few £$€¥¢s.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

One of the posts in the Reddit link has a good explanation for why Valve is doing this. Valve allows for refunds if somebody wants to buy a game at a lower sale price, but by having a game always be at its lowest price during a sale, it decreases the number of refund requests, and ultimately saves everybody time. Makes sense. 

I gave up on Steam Summer sales and Winter sales 2 years ago! They aren't wat they used to be before.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Hopefully this means that sales will be better.

Last Summer Sale I didn't buy one game from Steam, but bought a lot from GMG.

Am I the only one who prefers the seasonal sales to the daily stuff? In my experience the big seasonal ones have way better games and price drops.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Meh, other sites do more aggressive discounts I think Valve knows this and knows that they still make money in the end so they might tune down their own sales in favor of third party sites that offer Steam keys anyway.

The only problem is if Origin or Uplay (threw up in my mouth a little yuck) suddenly get better flash deals and such but it's unlikely.

-------

Current Rig

-------