Samsung Galaxy S7 To Feature Britecell Camera Technology and Bio Processor Technology

Read more at Samsung announces BRITECELL smartphone image sensor.

Speaking at its 2015 investor forum, Samsung has revealed details about its new Britecell camera technology. The technology is expected to appear in the future smartphone, possibly even the Galaxy S7. Although, they say possible the S7 that means that there 50% chances it will not going to have this feature technology. But let's see what Samsung have to say about this.

BRITECELL is designed to improve performance in low light environments, as the name implies, by building on the company’s ISOCELL technology and resulting in less color artifacts. Oddly enough, Samsung says that it can accomplish this with smaller pixel sizes. The pixel size shrinks from 1.12um to 1.0um, resulting in a 17 percent reduction in module height and an increase in density up to 20 megapixels, all while allowing for similar low light sensitivity at 1.12um. With smartphones becoming thinner and lighter, there is an aesthetic need for Samsung to make its camera modules smaller.The main improvements to light capture appears to come from changing the pixel arrangements, rather than their size. Samsung intends to do away with the traditional Bayer filter layout, replacing the green pixels with white ones. By removing the filter layer over the green pixels, more light will enter the sensor. Samsung’s ISCOCELL technology prevents light bleed between cells here, but processing will be needed to compensate for the different colors.

Samsung-BRITECELL-2-840x473.jpg

Samsung did not specifically mention any products that would be using its new BRITECELL technology, although it does appear destined for smartphones. Some rumors have already speculated that Samsung will debut this sensor in the Galaxy S7, much like it made use of its own ISOCELL sensors for the Galaxy S5.

The S7 not only going to have the Britecell camera technology, but also going to have the Bio Processor technology from Samsung which is desgned for wearable products and whole lots more. 

Along with its new image sensor, Samsung also announced a ‘Bio Processor’ designed for wearable products. More specifically, the processor is designed around health tracking, packing heart rate, electrocardiogram, skin temperature and other processing components into a single SoC package.

Samsung-Bio-Processor-840x473.jpg

As a result of these optimization, the chip fits into an 80 percent smaller space and consumes 50 percent less power, compared with using individual discrete components. Given that wearable product are limited in internal space and battery capacity, this chip could prove popular in future devices. Samsung also reckons that the automotive and gaming industries will also be interested in its Bio Processor, and that the information collected from these sensors could even be used in a security system to identify individuals.

Samsung stated that it is in talks with several companies to make use of its Bio Processor for wearables. We can probably expect to see Samsung’s latest processors and image sensors appear in consumer products next year.

Consider the Bio Processor is 80% percent smaller space, and consumes 50% less power. That basically means this chip is like a size of a rice that i eat at home, and it able to use less power especially if you are one of those person that want the phone to last all day long or so without charging. Also, i would like know how does gaming industries will be interested in Bio Process. Although Samsung state that, but does this mean that this processor going to give little boost for gaming? Or better graphics quality? 

IMO the RGB picture shown looks better than the Britecell one (artistically)

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

IMO the RGB picture shown looks better than the Britecell one (artistically)

You can take something like that RGB shot with the Britecell (with better quality) while the RGB cannot take the Britecell shot at that quality. 

interesting, but britecell colors looks over saturated and unnatural. Skin tones looks funky

good low light performance is nice, but I still want accurate color

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

interesting, but britecell colors looks over saturated and unnatural. Skin tones looks funky

why are you being such a pedant about this. all that picture is trying to do is highlight the fact that they can take decent shots in low light conditions that are clearer than you might get with a regular sensor (or something like that).

I swear some of the more active posters on this forum are always so negative about everything it almost makes me not want to read comments sometimes.

"What the... You're not made of Tuesday!"  ―Roberto

Half repost? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/487987-samsung-britecell-mobile-camera-technology-a-new-high-for-low-light-photography/

I didn't mention the CPU side though.  Interested to see how that compares with Qualcomm's new low-power wearables SoC.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

why are you being such a pedant about this. all that picture is trying to do is highlight the fact that they can take decent shots in low light conditions that are clearer than you might get with a regular sensor (or something like that).

Maybe they could use a dual sensor setup and combine them? Idk if that's do-able or not.

CPU: AMD FX-6350@4.2Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston Fury Black + 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance HDD: WD Green 1Tb SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 60Gb CASE: DeepCool Tesseract SW

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fJLRWZ

You can't tell how good/bad the colors are in that little thumbnail. It's too small with not enough detail. That "funky" skin color might just be the skin color of the person in the photo + non-white lighting in the bar.

Color accuracy will be something to look out for. I don't think Samsung will go backwards on that since they have worked so hard to get where they are. We don't have enough info to say if it's good or bad yet. It is interesting though.

I really dont care at all about the camera, but a less power hungry chip means greater battery life, which my S6 could really use. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Bio processor though... sounds, cool...
:D

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |