Is that setup good for 1080p, 120hz gaming on new titles?

HeftyNugget
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

They don't.

I've checked some benchmarks from like 10-15 different sources - all have shown one thing, ASUS STRIX OC is superior to all other cards but Titan, Titan X and dual-gpu's.

Well than go with it :)

I'm not a fan of 4K and I'm not so eager to buy a 3rd monitor to be able to run games in 4K - but I have to replace my CPU, GPU and Motherboard to something newer since the latest titles tend to have too high demands for my setup.

My current specs are:

Mobo: Gigabyte 970A-D3 
CPU: AMD FX-8350 OC to 4.8GHz 
GPU: Radeon Gigabyte GHz Ed. HD7970 
PSU: Corsair 650W TX 
RAM: Corsair Vengeance - 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR 3
SSD: Samsung Pro 840 - 256GB 
Cooler: SilentiumPC HE1225 
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932 Adv.

What I want to get:
Mobo: Some Z97, not certain which - would be great if someone suggested me one
CPU: i7-4790K, picking this due to hyperthreading, some titles even work 30% better than the i5 which proved to the best for gaming.
GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 980 Ti OC, some might say it's an overkill for 120hz gaming - but I would love to play games smoothly on that 120hz, I'm open for suggestions tho.

The purpose of this thread is to help myself find a proper motherboard and possibly replace the CPU/GPU I want to get with something else.
My main reasons for replacing my current CPU, GPU and Mobo are the electricity costs, warmth it generates in my room and fact that it can't run latest titles on ultras without stutter.

Thanks in advance!

Desktop: ASUS Z97-AR | i7-4790K Devil's Canyon | ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX OC | Corsair 650W TX | Corsair Vengeance - 8 GB 1600 MHz | Samsung Pro 840 - 256GB | SilentiumPC HE1225 | Cooler Master HAF-932 Adv. | Razer Deathstalker | Razer Taipan | SteelSeries DEX | SteelSeries Siberia Elite Black Prism Edition | DXRacer Maximum Series | Bluemic Snowball Aluminium 
Laptop: ASUS Zenbook UX32LN

Camera: Nikon D5300

I'm not a fan of 4K and I'm not so eager to buy a 3rd monitor to be able to run games in 4K - but I have to replace my CPU, GPU and Motherboard to something newer since the latest titles tend to have too high demands for my setup.

My current specs are:

What I want to get:
CPU: i7-4790K, picking this due to hyperthreading, some titles even work 30% better than the i5 which proved to the best for gaming.
GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 980 Ti OC, some might say it's an overkill for 120hz gaming - but I would love to play games smoothly on that 120hz, I'm open for suggestions tho.

The purpose of this thread is to help myself find a proper motherboard and possibly replace the CPU/GPU I want to get with something else.
My main reason for replacing my current CPU, GPU and Mobo are the electricity costs, warmth it generates in my room and fact that it can't run latest titles on ultras without stutter.

Thanks in advance!

You can use most of your current hardware. Such as your PSU, ram and GPU, HDD, SSD. 

Also, what currency do you use?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

You can use most of your current hardware. Such as your PSU, ram and GPU, HDD, SSD. 

Also, what currency do you use?

I know I can, thus only wanting to replace CPU/GPU/MOBO, have you not read it entirely :) ?

My currency is PLN, I'm Polish.

Desktop: ASUS Z97-AR | i7-4790K Devil's Canyon | ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX OC | Corsair 650W TX | Corsair Vengeance - 8 GB 1600 MHz | Samsung Pro 840 - 256GB | SilentiumPC HE1225 | Cooler Master HAF-932 Adv. | Razer Deathstalker | Razer Taipan | SteelSeries DEX | SteelSeries Siberia Elite Black Prism Edition | DXRacer Maximum Series | Bluemic Snowball Aluminium 

-snip-

Getting a 980ti for 1080p gaming to get 120hz doesnt exactly scream value

but if you really want a 980ti i wont stop you.

Btw have you considered skylake (z170)?

I know I can, thus only wanting to replace CPU/GPU/MOBO, have you not read it entirely :) ?

:P I read it. I just like to write it. xD 

Umm, I don't know your currency. :( Can you buy in Euros/Dollars? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Will you be overclocking?

980Ti definitely.

As even if you reach 140fps on a 120hz screen, there is noticeable stutter present in almost all games that drop it down to 70-100fps.

Only if your budget allows it, of course.

Getting a 980ti for 1080p gaming to get 120hz doesnt exactly scream value

but if you really want a 980ti i wont stop you.

Btw have you considered skylake (z170)?

Well, the idea behind it is - if I ever want to do 4K gaming, or do 1440p gaming - I won't need to buy a better GPU.

I went for budget gaming 2 years ago, now I have to pay AGAIN for a new PC to play the new titles - it was a stupid thing to do, but worked temporairly.

Will you be overclocking?

Definitely, my CPU cooler is gigantic and proved worthy of overclocking my CPU - even the oh-so-hot AMD FX-8350 up to 5.2

:P I read it. I just like to write it. xD 

Umm, I don't know your currency.  :( Can you buy in Euros/Dollars? 

Złoty Polski is the our currency in my language.

But I can pay in dollars since I might be paying with Paypal.

980Ti definitely.

As even if you reach 140fps on a 120hz screen, there is noticeable stutter present in almost all games that drop it down to 70-100fps.

Only if your budget allows it, of course.

Don't want to brag, but my budget is triple or more times the cost of GTX 980 Ti.
The thing is - I don't want to spend all my 2 years long savings for a PC, when I already have one - that works and works well.

Don't want to brag, but my budget is triple or more times the cost of GTX 980 Ti.

The thing is - I don't want to spend all my 2 years long savings for a PC, when I already have one - that works and works well.

If you are up for challenges then water cool it :D.

Full build with overclocks can run as long as 6 years, and seems like the CPU side ain't gonna grow so fast.

If you still wanna wait you can, pascal is on it's way.

If you are up for challenges then water cool it :D.

Full build with overclocks can run as long as 6 years, and seems like the CPU side ain't gonna grow so fast.

If you still wanna wait you can, pascal is on it's way.

I was more of looking for downsides of going with this build, but it doesn't seem like it has any other than paying extra for future performance in future titles.

Ergo, kind of pre-purchasing performance :D

Sorry for the grammatically and meritoricaly failing sentences - my english isn't actually top-grade today.

My current specs are:

What I want to get:

My main reasons for replacing my current CPU, GPU and Mobo are the electricity costs, warmth it generates in my room and fact that it can't run latest titles on ultras without stutter.

Thanks in advance!

I would get the 4790k if you have the cash, and the Z97 Krait from MSI is more than enough for the motherboard. I would get an EVGA or Gigabyte card instead.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

If you have a high refresh rate monitor, you'll want the FPS that go with it. You'll hit CPU bottleneck a lot with this AMD processor. I highly recommend going with an Intel i5-4690k and overclock it. Should last your for a long time and even through your next GPU upgrade.

It's very easy to lower settings to ease the load on the GPU, but you can't do much when your CPU is the bottleneck.

Hardware: 4790k @ 4.6 GHz w/ H100i - MSI GTX 970 - Define R5 - MSI Z97 PC Mate - 840 EVO - G.Skill 2x4 GB

Peripherals: G402 - ATH-AD700x - Asus VG248QE 144 hz

I would get the 4790k if you have the cash, and the Z97 Krait from MSI is more than enough for the motherboard. I would get an EVGA or Gigabyte card instead.

I've tested both EVGA and Gigabyte, ASUS STRIX was superior to them.

We are talking about 9 to 18 FPS differences in games, at cost of 40-80$

If you have a high refresh rate monitor, you'll want the FPS that go with it. You'll hit CPU bottleneck a lot with this AMD processor. I highly recommend going with an Intel i5-4690k and overclock it. Should last your for a long time and even through your next GPU upgrade.

Please read the entire post

It's very easy to lower settings to ease the load on the GPU, but you can't do much when your CPU is the bottleneck.

PLEASE read before posting  :angry:

I've tested both EVGA and Gigabyte, ASUS STRIX was superior to them.

We are talking about 9 to 18 FPS differences in games, at cost of 40-80$

Oh, if that's the case then just stick to the Strix then :)

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Please read the entire post

Woops, I just quickly looked at the listed specs of your "current system" and thought that was what you were going to buy.. my bad

Hardware: 4790k @ 4.6 GHz w/ H100i - MSI GTX 970 - Define R5 - MSI Z97 PC Mate - 840 EVO - G.Skill 2x4 GB

Peripherals: G402 - ATH-AD700x - Asus VG248QE 144 hz

I diagress - does that mobo have good OC capabilities?

But skylake? You want that?

But skylake? You want that?

I'm clueless about that

Why do all threads on LTT end so quickly?

Like - after 30 minutes everybody stops replying.

I'm clueless about that

The new intel processors are codenamed skylake.

Why do all threads on LTT end so quickly?

Like - after 30 minutes everybody stops replying.

Because it has fell out of reason topics and you aren't quoting people so they aren't getting any notifications

Because it has fell out of reason topics and you aren't quoting people so they aren't getting any notifications

I see..

But aren't these CPU's sky-high in terms of price?

I see..

But aren't these CPU's sky-high in terms of price?

yes the i7 6700k is around hte same price as the 5820k but most people are wanting skylake system because htey have higher ipc and and because its newer

yes the i7 6700k is around hte same price as the 5820k but most people are wanting skylake system because htey have higher ipc and and because its newer

But why would I want it, if it has minimal improvement over i-4970K Devils Canyon that I want to get.