Best gfx card for 1080p?

striker477

I've been thinking about updating my graphics card in my current rig as it seems like my current one is starting to fall behind partially due to the limitations from having 2gb of vram. What would be my best options to shoot for? I game on a single 1080p display and would like a card that will be able to run everything at high-max settings while being able to maintain a constant 60+fps. I also would like to find something that will be able to last a while before needing to be upgraded again. 

These are the cards I've been considering 

R9 390 (only because it seems to be beating out the 970)

gtx 980

gtx 980 ti

I know these graphics cards are on different price points just looking to get the most bang for my buck. But, I'm unsure as to what would be best suited for my situation without being too much overkill. Any other suggestions are more than welcome 

This is a link to my current build

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3mmBK8

The 390 is probably the sweet spot, but the 980 is pretty much guaranteed to max out everything at 1080p. You can get a b-stock EVGA 980 for under $400 if you're interested in that option: http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=8

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595

Im getting a 980Ti today.... but thats for 5760x1080 :P

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

If you're looking for the "bang for you buck", go with the R9 390. The others 980 is not as worth it with only like a 10% increase in performance for around $150 more. The 980 Ti is pretty overkill for 1080p. With a 980 Ti, you'd want to start looking at higher resolutions rather than 1080p. That, and the performance/dollar is not nearly as good as the R9 390 at 1080p.

Don't be fooled by the bottom line of my sig, that is just for my travels.

So you're telling me that Gaben is no God? Enough of your foolishness.

My hardware you ask? I'm using a Dell Inspiron 3217 Notebook... With an LG 25UM57.

IF you can get a GTX 980ti then do it, is it overkill? Yes- big time. But that also means that you shouldn't have problems maxing out games at 1080p 60FPS for another couple years. Going with the 980 or 390 will not yield the same results.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

IF you can get a GTX 980ti then do it, is it overkill? Yes- big time. But that also means that you shouldn't have problems maxing out games at 1080p 60FPS for another couple years. Going with the 980 or 390 will not yield the same results.

That also had my curosity the 390 is at very good price point and right now it seems a lot of people are saying it would be the best bang for buck. But, I also got to thinking I'm sure going with something such as the 980 might be more future proof. But, with there being that much difference in price I wonder if it would be better suited saving the extra ammount for when it is actually needed and get another card then.

What exactly is a B-Stock?

That also had my curosity the 390 is at very good price point and right now it seems a lot of people are saying it would be the best bang for buck. But, I also got to thinking I'm sure going with something such as the 980 might be more future proof. But, with there being that much difference in price I wonder if it would be better suited saving the extra ammount for when it is actually needed and get another card then.

What exactly is a B-Stock?

B-Stock as describe by EVGA-

"B-Stock Products are units which may have small scratches, small dents, or noticeable use which are Factory Recertified to meet or exceed the performance of a new product of the same model. These products do not come with any accessories and include a 1 year limited warranty."

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

B-Stock as describe by EVGA-

"B-Stock Products are units which may have small scratches, small dents, or noticeable use which are Factory Recertified to meet or exceed the performance of a new product of the same model. These products do not come with any accessories and include a 1 year limited warranty."

Has anyone bought anything from them before? I've never had a problem with a graphics card before but I've never bought a used one before. Seems like a decent deal though as I could get a 980 for around $60 more than the R9 390. 

Personnaly, I'm more for the 980, but for fxxxxproof, you'd be happier with the 8GB of vram of the 390x

Gaming rig : i5 6600k | EVGA 1070 FTW | 16Go DDR4 HyperX Fury | Intel 600p - WD Black

Laptop : Macbook 2017

Home server : AMD A10 7700k | 2*2TB unraid array + 250GB ssd cache

Personnaly, I'm more for the 980, but for fxxxxproof, you'd be happier with the 8GB of vram of the 390x

I got to wondering the same thing if more Vram was becoming needed past 4gb. From what I've seen the 980 does have better performance but the 390 and 390x do have more vram. 

If I get the 390, how many years do I have before I have to change it?

I can't say for sure but a few, the 8GB's of VRAM it has means nothing as it will never be powerful enough to utilize that much. I give it a solid 2 years before you start have to really lowering your settings to maintain a constant frame rate.

A lot of that is going to depend what resolution your running and how many monitors. Along with what frame rate or graphics detail you are trying to achieve. 

It seems like the 980 is probably going to be the best deal for me at this point. As long as the quality of B-stock is good which I did some more research and haven't really seen anything negative. 

I can't say for sure but a few, the 8GB's of VRAM it has means nothing as it will never be powerful enough to utilize that much. I give it a solid 2 years before you start have to really lowering your settings to maintain a constant frame rate.

2 years?!?

Dam, never thought joining the PC master race would be that expensive. Im only planing on playing @ 1080p on 1 display. 

2 years?!?

Dam, never thought joining the PC master race would be that expensive. Im only planing on playing @ 1080p on 1 display. 

The thing is the R9 390 is already a two year old GPU, that's why.

2 years?!?

Yes, but get 60 frames on PC on max settings for atleast 2 years before you will have to start lowering the settings to achieve these frames, either way even high settings you'll still have more FPS than a console and plus it's 1080p. Or you could go for a 380, it won't last as long but it's a very good entry GPU.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

I was looking at picking up one of B-stock cards as it seems to be a reasonable price for a 980. My question is both of these cards are very similar from what I'm seeing there is just a ever so slight difference in the GPU clock is that correct or am I missing something? 

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-2983-RX

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-2986-RX

Wait, whaT? Are you from the future?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

???

The R9 390 was released in June. This year. 

Wait, whaT? Are you from the future?

???

The R9 390 was released in June. This year. 

It was released almost 6 months ago and is based on a almost two year old GPU, the R9 290. It's a two year old GPU essentially.

It was released almost 6 months ago and is based on a almost two year old GPU, the R9 290. It's a two year old GPU essentially.

No it's not, the chip may be based on the 290 but the rest of the GPU is different. Is a 2016 Mustang a 13 year old car?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

No it's not, the chip may be based on the 290 but the rest of the GPU is different. Is a 2016 Mustang a 13 year old car?

Exactly, saw a video on it saying they «refreshed» it. Still I consider it new

I've been thinking about updating my graphics card in my current rig as it seems like my current one is starting to fall behind partially due to the limitations from having 2gb of vram. What would be my best options to shoot for? I game on a single 1080p display and would like a card that will be able to run everything at high-max settings while being able to maintain a constant 60+fps. I also would like to find something that will be able to last a while before needing to be upgraded again. 

These are the cards I've been considering 

R9 390 (only because it seems to be beating out the 970)

gtx 980

gtx 980 ti

I know these graphics cards are on different price points just looking to get the most bang for my buck. But, I'm unsure as to what would be best suited for my situation without being too much overkill. Any other suggestions are more than welcome 

This is a link to my current build

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3mmBK8

R9 390X

better then the 390

cheaper then the 980

almost as good as 980

Lol how old is it?

He thinks that it is a R9 290

When lives hand you lemon, suck them hard and post a selfie with it.