Insane stripped screw.

koolcoolkg

Was looking to upgrade my old Y510p with a SSD and I realized that one of the screw is stripped.

post-238509-14477636525963_thumb.jpg

post-238509-14477636797057_thumb.jpg

I have tried using

- rubber band

- grooving with flat head screw driver

I cannot dremel it because i don't wanna damage the inner aluminium plate and destroy thermals.

Plus rotary disc won't reach that deep.

Please gelp me to remove this stripped screw.

Try and drill it out. Pick a drill about the same size as the screw. (You'll need a new screw after though)

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Epoxy + flat head?

Epoxy or Superglue the screwdriver to the screw then after its gone off turn.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Id try to drill it out.

AMD FX 8350 4.0ghz\\Gigabyte GTX 750ti 4gb\\16 Gb DDR3 Kingston Hyper Fury X\\Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB 3\\Deepcool Tesseract SW ATX Mid Tower Case\\Kingston SSD 120 gb, Seagate Barracuda 2 tb\\EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze\\Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO\\

Take some pliers that is small enough, expand it and twist? Might work.

Lol if you can find pliers that small.

Drill it out, same thing happened to me when I was installing a hybrid kit to my 980Ti :) I drilled it out and moved on

I like the epoxy idea, but in real life it did not stick for me. If you drill it out with the right sized bit what happens is that the outside of the screw head comes off and just leaves the body (shaft) then you just take off the cover and use needle nosed pliers on the leftover bit.

Why wouldnt you be able to dremel it? Just grind a groove in it, flat screwdriver, and screw it out. That i find the handiest way. Drilling it out can damage things too.

And pliers that small, doesnt exist. I dont think you get how small of a screw that is. You would never be able to use the pliers. The steel would be so thin, it would be useless.

Epoxy or Superglue the screwdriver to the screw then after its gone off turn.

I like the epoxy idea, but in real life it did not stick for me. If you drill it out with the right sized bit what happens is that the outside of the screw head comes off and just leaves the body (shaft) then you just take off the cover and use needle nosed pliers on the leftover bit.

Tried that epoxy thingy.

End resultpost-238509-14477905918355_thumb.jpg

So now the groove seems to be more adhered with the screw.

Inserted 1 drop of epoxy and a screwdriver,

Left it for 6 hrs.

After few tries of turning the driver, the driver came out[emoji29]

Why wouldnt you be able to dremel it? Just grind a groove in it, flat screwdriver, and screw it out. That i find the handiest way. Drilling it out can damage things too.

And pliers that small, doesnt exist. I dont think you get how small of a screw that is. You would never be able to use the pliers. The steel would be so thin, it would be useless.

As u can see; using a rotary tool with small disc also may damage the plastic.

Below the plastic cover lies an aluminium plate for heat conductance.

So dremel may interfere in thermals.

Update :

Wen't to nearby service center of Lenovo.

They asked me to fill a form that if some damage occurs they aren't responsible[emoji17].

This is how these chinese junkyard companies honor warranty.

Nvm , to square one.

Guys are u sure the drill idea works?

Looks like have to purchase a drill.

Tried that epoxy thingy.

End resultattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1447790583.062336.jpg

So now the groove seems to be more adhered with the screw.

Inserted 1 drop of epoxy and a screwdriver,

Left it for 6 hrs.

After few tries of turning the driver, it came out[emoji29]

As u can see; using a rotary tool with small disc also may damage the plastic.

Below the plastic cover lies an aluminium plate for heat conductance.

So dremel may interfere in thermals.

Update :

Wen't to nearby service center of Lenovo.

They asked me to fill a form that if some damage occurs they aren't responsible[emoji17].

This is how these chinese junkyard companies honor warranty.

Nvm , to square one.

The drill idea works because the screw used are soft chinese crap :) You pick a drill bit a tiny bit larger than the hole (also, don't floor it if you can drill slow). IDK what will happen if your drillbit's are also soft chinese crap, might make a bitscrew or a screwbit :P

Lmao yes.

Start off with a small drill size drill bit then slowly work your way up, also you don't want to go too big or you'll damage the thread.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

try a star bit (similar to hex bits but more pointy on the corners) Hammer one in that is a bit too big.

e2a Torx that is the word I was looking for :)